Volca series and how to keep everything in time.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought that I'd buy few Volcas to bring some flavor to my noise.

So basically I'd have to get a clock from my DAW maybe? I use Reaper, Reason or Bitwig..

Then what.. Get that clock to for example Volca Beats? With a 5pin midi cable? And from there I send that clock to bass and keys/fm what ever I decide to get.

And finally, some cheap mixer to sum all up and record to my daw track by track? Ofc I could buy a soundcard that has enough inputs but it could get a bit more pricy than a mixer.

Am I missing something or does anyone have a better way to set these up?

These guys might have what you're looking for:

https://www.retrokits.com/

Well the Volcas only have MIDI-In if I'm not mistaken, but do have "sync" out and in which uses 3.5mm patch cables and allows you to sync the Volcas to each other.

You would only need MIDI-In to one of the units, and then use the sync ports on the others. Midi unit gets the clock and sends it to the others.

When it comes to recording the audio, I'm not really sure what you're asking. Are you wanting to record each synth part individually, or simultaneously? If recording simultaneously are you looking for each synth to record it's part independently, or just the combined output of all the synths? You used kinda contradictory terms with "sum all up and record to my daw track by track". If you sum the audio you'll just get a stereo track with all parts in the same recording. If you record track by track you'll get individual parts that are then summed to stereo within the daw. Both are possible, but recording multiple tracks with 1 or two inputs can be tedious. If you don't intend on processing any of the tracks individually, a stereo sum could work fine. If you want to add effects and EQ to each part individually, you'll have to go through and record each track by itself, unless you have multiple inputs.
Disco flangus shenanigans

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”