Prog Rock Project Part 2...COMPLETED

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Being a pure genesishead I hijacked the thread and pushed it to prog metal... I'm so damn brilliant! :D

Hey Wag, hows't goin?

Cruba wrote:Hey Wag, hows't goin?
I've already completed 3 of the 8 tracks. I've had to do somewhat cut down versions because of CPU limitations. The synths and plugs I'm using are, simply put, draining the hell out of my computer. In short, I am pretty much limited to the 24 track limitation of the era. And even that is pushing things incredibly. One song, I had to shut down my browsers and every other program running just to be able to render it to audio and I was still pushing close to 100% CPU.

In a way, this isn't a terrible thing as it's forcing me to be truer to the era as far as what they were able to do. For example, the 3rd song consisted of just 9 tracks.

Drums
Bass
Rhythm Electric
Lead Electric
B3
Moog Lead
Acoustic Guitar (on intro)
Violin
Lead Vocal

That's it. And even with just that, I was pushing around 75% CPU. Some of these 70s emulation VSTs and FX are CPU hogs and I don't know enough about computer technology to save power outside of freezing tracks, which I had to do in its entirety on song 2 which was 24 tracks exactly.

That these songs are over 7 minutes long obviously doesn't help.

Anyway, the project itself won't take as long as I expected because I can't make the arrangements as dense as I wanted. So I should probably be done with the whole thing sometime in February or March.

wagtunes wrote:I've had to do somewhat cut down versions because of CPU limitations. The synths and plugs I'm using are, simply put, draining the hell out of my computer. In short, I am pretty much limited to the 24 track limitation of the era. And even that is pushing things incredibly. One song, I had to shut down my browsers and every other program running just to be able to render it to audio and I was still pushing close to 100% CPU.
What is the specs of your computer, do you use a separate soundcard ?

Numanoid wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I've had to do somewhat cut down versions because of CPU limitations. The synths and plugs I'm using are, simply put, draining the hell out of my computer. In short, I am pretty much limited to the 24 track limitation of the era. And even that is pushing things incredibly. One song, I had to shut down my browsers and every other program running just to be able to render it to audio and I was still pushing close to 100% CPU.
My PC is just an I3. Windows 7, 64 bit with 16 gig RAM. My soundcard is a Steinberg UR28M external.

wagtunes wrote:My PC is just an I3.
That could be the problem.

Numanoid wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My PC is just an I3.
That could be the problem.
I'm sure it is a problem.

So what do you think of the CH violin?

thejonsolo wrote:So what do you think of the CH violin?
In a word...amazing.

Dang...I am about to be out of more money. I was hoping for a NAMM sale, but I had everything that he put on sale already.

thejonsolo wrote:Dang...I am about to be out of more money. I was hoping for a NAMM sale, but I had everything that he put on sale already.
If you want, I can post the last track I did where I really show it off. Of course I'll be opening myself up to the massive amount of abuse to follow but if it'll help to hear it I'll be happy to oblige.

Well we would all like to know what you are doing...I mean this thread is 9 pages. No one really should be abusive, but this is KVR. I'll leave it up to you if you decide to share.

Jon

Tracks: Well, I saw "simple" Psy Trance tracks the producer needed 100 (no joke) Tracks. I guess (just spoken for Genesis) 24 tracks should be enough. The Genesis midis had 10 - 15 Tracks, pure Instruments without layering for sure. You will rock it. You've to think like a 70's head and missuse instruments and trick gear limitations.

7 minutes: Haha, I totally understand. All my songs are around 5 Minutes long and sure my pc would prefer 3 minutes poptastic arrangements, but: Keep in mind poore Cruba has to stop after 12 instances (total limit) Synth1 with 4 effects limit on each track. ;)

CPU: It's just an advice, keep in mind I'm not a expert! Maybe I'm telling nothing new and maybe isn't the top help, but... In taskmanager is a process tree, that is a really cpu hog. Sure pc cpu is not daw cpu, but to give your system a lil breath, try it.

Open task manager, click on "Show processes from all users". One svchost.exe (normally on top, if you sort cpu, cos' it's the hog lol) contains "Windows Update, Themes, Task Sheduler and so on" (rightclick -> Go to service(s)). If you end this process, the pc cpu should be nearly 0% constantly. Sometimes it pops up again after some minutes. Closing that process don't affect cubase, sound & inet.

I never clicked this "Show processes from all users" and was wondering over years, why my cpu is always at 50%.

wagtunes wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
My PC is just an I3. Windows 7, 64 bit with 16 gig RAM. My soundcard is a Steinberg UR28M external.
There you go. Don't spend that MtG $3k you have on more software, update your hardware instead. Get an i7 that can fit on your motherboard, you will see a night and day difference.

(And it won't cost ya $3k.)

You could try Black Viper's system process optimizations.

And check that your cpu cores are "unparked" (depending on your specific cpu).
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Return to “Instruments”