Do you still buy music?!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Do you still buy music?

Yes
87%
No
13%
Yes, in the form of loop packs
No votes

Total votes: 71

RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, I don't buy any music anymore. These days I am on a very tight budget. But my existing CD/Mp3 music collection is already pretty huuuuuuge because I used to buy and trade used CDs for quite a while before. I listen to that.

For new music (a lot of old undiscovered music as well as new music are new to me) I listen to college/university radio and I go to my city's public libraries to borrow CDs and rock documentary DVDs. I also visit YouTube to listen to music that is or isn't in my CD/Mp3 collection. And I sometimes visit the Music Cafe here at KVR.

Anyways, I would be just as interested in the music consuming behaviour of the general public and not just that of KVR members because, after all, only 5 percent (or maybe even less) of the world's population are musicians and some musicians are not even music-makers and not all music-makers have time to listen to new music. And I presume, wrongly perhaps, that music-makers are more critical and more selective and music-makers are not typical music consumers. Still, this thread made me wonder what percentage of the world actually still buy music regularly. I will probably Google that later.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

ghettosynth wrote:I'm curious, do you play shows? I only asked because I noticed that your stuff is what I would call experimental, i.e., niche.

I've noticed at noise shows that a lot of artists are into the packaging. Some like to collect cassettes, but then play the downloads and keep the cassette in its original packaging. I've also noticed at noise shows, however, that the audience is usually about fifty percent the other noise performers.
Heh. Nope, I haven't played any electronic stuff live. I have done taiko drumming live though -- very different crowd for that :hihi: That group semi-invited me to attempt live versions of the remixes I've done for them at an upcoming show, but I'm not prepared and I don't think it'd work well anyway.

As far as packaging goes, I kind of think "this is neat" and then throw it in a drawer with random stickers and things... not so much a collector as mildly amused the artwork for a brief period.

Yeah, I do. Mostly from Google Music, which have had me on the hook ever since they first did the store 20,000 of your own songs in the cloud for free thing. Bandcamp if possible though, as they take a smaller cut (15% vs GM's 30+%). I stay clear of the subscription model, as it's just not viable for smaller artists.

Never buy CDs any more, they just take up space and the object itself as in disc plus packaging doesn't seem too special. Vinyl's more beautiful, and I don't buy that either.

I buy CDs as much as possible.

I buy mostly every release from my favorite artists (just a very few people) and I occasionally can afford to squeeze in something less prioritized. I'm poor, yet I prefer not to steal music.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Only if I really liked the music and mostly not very popular artists.
Usually try to find them on bandcamp or cd baby.

Yep, but not very often, 'cause I'm on a very limited income. I usually buy flac downloads, mostly of older stuff (I figure that if people still like it after 30 years, it might be good :hihi: )
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

I keep my eyes open and when I see a classic cd somewhere, I buy it. New cd:s I only buy if there's no digital available, like I did with Blaakyum.

But usually I buy my music in digital form and place like Beatport. If not available in beatport, I send message to the artist and ask if he/she/they have it available for sell in mp3 or cd.

ektosplasm and darkpsyportal is all I need. (and 100% free)

In theory yes, but in reality I have already bought almost all songs I ever liked, and the few that are still missing are unfortunately not available as individual tracks. So basically I hardly buy any songs, anymore.

I never buy music on physical media, though, I don't have a single CD anymore, let alone vinyl or cassette.

yes i buy music , sometimes CD , sometime MP3 , but i listen a lot on youtube ( Crystal Castle and NIN ) , God bless youtube ! the last korn record suck it do not deserve a 1$ ! (in fact the last record i like was See you on the other side.....)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”