Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Architeuthis wrote: I'm attempting to get a vactrol response with the asym/curve knobs. It's pretty good, but LFO2 was not made to open and close like a vactrol so it's difficult to get the perfect settings for this kind of sound. But The Drop is great nonetheless!
There's the sidechain input for FM as well.

Finally got around to buying this since I've offloaded a bunch of my hardware filters at this point.

Wonderful plugin and I have to say that the custom SMP filter is really my favorite of them, great balance of clean and gnarly and chunky IMO. From reading the manual description I guess it's probably not a surprise since my alternately favorite and second favorite modular filter is the SEM20 which I guess is perhaps a bit of a similar hybrid.

Really like WSP too.

Can't wait for the TubeScreamer emu. :tu:

Thanks for the great work.

I love the The Drop. Here is the first video ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF9gCjr21UI
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

2 very noob sounding questions... :P

I want to build an MS-20 rev 2 clone.
anyone have any links to complete KITS?
I have some schematics and can solder, but I'm very much a novice when it comes to electronics.
Just want to find an easy to build analog filter kit to use in my live set. As i'm staring at these pictures i can't really formulate a clear picture of the required components.

Question 2... regarding latency
If I'm at 48kHz and have (for example) 10 channels in my live set, and I add an instance of the Drop to each one of them, do I end up adding 1.8ms (88 samples) to the audio stream, or 18ms? AND... If I have the Glue also on 5 of these channels, is my overall added plugin latency 3.6ms or 27ms?
I have a new project which is gonna require some calculating, to sync up with a bunch of laptops and hardware...

cheers

sqigls wrote:2 very noob sounding questions... :P

I have some schematics and can solder, but I'm very much a novice when it comes to electronics.
Just want to find an easy to build analog filter kit to use in my live set. As i'm staring at these pictures i can't really formulate a clear picture of the required components.

If I'm at 48kHz and have (for example) 10 channels in my live set, and I add an instance of the Drop to each one of them, do I end up adding 1.8ms (88 samples) to the audio stream, or 18ms? AND... If I have the Glue also on 5 of these channels, is my overall added plugin latency 3.6ms or 27ms?
I have a new project which is gonna require some calculating, to sync up with a bunch of laptops and hardware...

cheers
I don't know about kits, but I would recommend checking out the muffwiggler forums.

As for latency, your overall latency the same as the longest single channel's latency, so if you have plugins that introduce latency both at the channel and bus level then just add them together to get the total and the longest latency will force the whole project to be that much. It doesn't matter how many channels in parallel you are running, latency only adds up serially.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

i thought as much, cheers.

yeah i've been a Muffwiggler for a while, but i only started logging in again recently, searched a fair bit for kits, but can only find schematics. Unfortunately i missed the boat on all the kits and pre-built jobbies. Can't even spot a Frostwave Resonator on Ebay anymore. Guess i'll just have to man up and learn me some lek-tra-ma-phonics. The MkII filter in the Drop is a mainstay on everything i'm writing now, i just really want a simple hardware version of it that i can stick between the Tempest and the mixing desk. Just a frequency and resonance knob. A full-time dedicated dub-bass filter...

While I've got your attention.
Thank you, again. And again. For the Drop.
It's the best thing to happen to software. Probably ever.

sqigls wrote:2 very noob sounding questions... :P

cheers
Well, one thing to consider is a hardware unit is only going to be able to process one (or potentially 2) items at a time in a live set.

The MS-20 Mini is an mk I filter I believe, but it can be had for cheap, especially used.

MFOS has a number of schematics and I believe their kits are being sold at either modular addict or synthcube. Most of the items you'll find there are specific to modular formats though, not standalone. If you're decent at woodwork, you could build a case for your individual module and build put together something like Frequency Central's power supply to power your module. Doepfer and some of the other manufacturers also make very small Eurorack cases. (Doepfer Beauty Case I believe it's called)

yeah rev I, thanks anyway :P
http://modularaddict.com/parts/full-kit ... o-bf22-kit
Some good stuff though, gonna give a few a go :)
https://synthcube.com/

cheers :)

ModularAddict and Synthcube are great online shops in the US. I've been particularly impressed with ModularAddict. If you go over $150 on the order, they ship priority mail and it's here in 2 - 3 business days. Plus they're based in my old stomping grounds of Milwaukee.

ImNotDedYet wrote:ModularAddict and Synthcube are great online shops in the US. I've been particularly impressed with ModularAddict. If you go over $150 on the order, they ship priority mail and it's here in 2 - 3 business days. Plus they're based in my old stomping grounds of Milwaukee.
I'll be damned, they're like a 15 minute drive from me lol.. I'll definitely be ordering some stuff from them..

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious ; it is the
fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.
-- Albert Einstein

There's very low level (-110) noise ramp from 2k 20k+ even with both filters off. Is this normal?

Got this as a b-day present, love it. I try it on everything, sound is fantastic. Good for automating or just slapping on for the filter quality. I have to watch not to get carried away b/c it's fun to mess around with but Idk what i'm doing or how exactly it works yet, so can tend to get lost/go overboard with endless tweaking of LFO's, envelopes, etc. OTOH I've come up with some quite creative/interesting things that way.

Gui is sizeable and interface looks great imo. Big thumbs up for this plugin.

Whatisvalis wrote:There's very low level (-110) noise ramp from 2k 20k+ even with both filters off. Is this normal?
The default preset with both filters off with have a constant flat gaussian noise floor of -144 dB. If you have a ramping up of noise they you need to adjust the settings on your analyser as it is adding an artificial ramp to your spectrum.

nusound mind wrote:Got this as a b-day present, love it. I try it on everything, sound is fantastic. Good for automating or just slapping on for the filter quality. I have to watch not to get carried away b/c it's fun to mess around with but Idk what i'm doing or how exactly it works yet, so can tend to get lost/go overboard with endless tweaking of LFO's, envelopes, etc. OTOH I've come up with some quite creative/interesting things that way.

Gui is sizeable and interface looks great imo. Big thumbs up for this plugin.
Thanks for the positive feedback! I tried to design the plugin to knob tweaking and automation to generate endless variations, so it's great to hear you're having fun doing this. Don't worry about if you know what you're doing or not, just play and come up with cool sounds :tu:

Hi Andy,

A quick question:

I'm using The Drop to emulate a wah-wah pedal for guitar using an expression pedal, which it seems to do amazingly well.

The only problem is that the expression pedal (which is mapped to LP filter cut-off via a track quick control in Cubase) modulates the filter over too great a range (so from 20 hz to 20k or whatever it is).

What would you suggest as the best way in The Drop to scale this incoming midi data so it only modulates the filter over a more limited range, even though the expression pedal is moving over it's entire range of travel under my foot?!

I already found a sort-of work-around, but am curious as to what you might suggest! :)

Return to “Effects”