StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

Thank you! I'm buying soon. Is there a way to drag the midi to the daw? this would be huge.

memyselfandus wrote:Thank you! I'm buying soon. Is there a way to drag the midi to the daw? this would be huge.
No you can record the Midi out of StiX and record/print it to your Daw track to possibly edit it after. Or simply output midi and control other machines live.

Actually, both methods have their pro and cons, not only in workflow, but in consequences.

For example, drag and drop might more difficult to handle if you change the patterns/songs after having exported once. And having Midi Out is probably better if you want to control other drum machines/samplers/synthesizers live, and, here again, adapt/make evolve the programmation of sequencer lines in real time while hearing simultaneously the sounds of StiX and/or the other sound modules StiX controls.

Drag'n'drop however is faster, but allows less (actually, not at all) real time control.

Well, that's the idea, globally.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Unfortunately not all sequencers will record midi output from a plugin, so it would be great to have midi file drag and drop as an alternative.

Absolutely would use Stix more if it had drag and drop from the seq. Revolution is the perfect example of usability for me and now unless Stix gets improvements will probably end up being sold soon.

There are no drawbacks to a feature you wouldn't Have to use :)

simmo75 wrote:Absolutely would use Stix more if it had drag and drop from the seq. Revolution is the perfect example of usability for me and now unless Stix gets improvements will probably end up being sold soon.
Hmm I don't know, I could make a very list of all the things StiX can do, and that Revolution can't, beginning with beeing able to import your own samples, real analog modelled oscillators (Revolution has none), FM synthesis , Cross Synthesis, pristine odf analog emulated filters etc etc.

And StiX can export it patterns and output midi, but here again you can choose what you export, the length of the export etc. So the results seem to me to be similar, despite the workflow is different.

Otoh, if Revolution is enough for you, and the drag'n'drop workflow to export Midi mandatory for you, well, just go for it.

Imho both drum machines compliment each other quite well. Ymmv.
Last edited by Lotuzia on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

plugin'd out wrote:Unfortunately not all sequencers will record midi output from a plugin, so it would be great to have midi file drag and drop as an alternative.
Interesting. Wich ones can't record midi out from a plug ?

Logic (at least for v9 - don't know if this was introduced in Logic 10, anyone?)

Lotuzia wrote:
simmo75 wrote:Absolutely would use Stix more if it had drag and drop from the seq. Revolution is the perfect example of usability for me and now unless Stix gets improvements will probably end up being sold soon.
Hmm I don't know, I could make a very list of all the things StiX can do, and that Revolution can't, beginning with beeing able to import your own samples, real analog modelled oscillators (Revolution has none), FM synthesis , Cross Synthesis, pristine odf analog emulated filters etc etc.

And StiX can export it patterns and output midi, but here again you can choose what you export, the length of the export etc. So the results seem to me to be similar, despite the workflow is different.

Otoh, if Revolution is enough for you, and the drag'n'drop workflow to export Midi mandatory for you, well, just go for it.

Imho both drum machines compliment each other quite well. Ymmv.
Don't misunderstand me, I love Stix.
I find, like a lot of people it would appear, being able to drag and drop to suit my workflow and would use Stix more if it was an option.

Lotuzia wrote:
Unqlenol wrote:New question (I think): Am I correct that there is no way to set the various envelopes on a per oscillator basis?

I am also curious to know how I would manage using Stix in a proper arrangement where there may be the occasional non 4/4 moment. Eg: One might have a 2 beat break before a new passage kicks in. Realising that I can print Stix and edit, I still would like to know how to 'manage' Stix if I wanted to keep Stix's sequencer running. If Stix could trigger a pattern on a note division other than the 1st beat of a bar, then sure, this would not be a valid question.
As I see it, currently one would have to have (using my above example) no pattern triggered for the single 2/4 bar and just trigger the individual drum hits for the desired break with midi input.
But (!), will Stix kick in at the beginning of the next bar of 4/4? Or will it now be offset by two beats?
No, Stix can already control every aspect of oscillators ( pitch, waveform, volume) with any of the 3 envelopes by using the Macro Mod matrix (Found in the advanced drumpad synthesis tab). Just assign an envelope as source, and an oscillator parameter as destination in this matrix) The interesting thing, is that you'll also be able to control all this machinery via the macro controls of the easy page.

For metrics/signature changing however, there are no real solutions atm, except recording/printing midi data on a midi track, then work on this basis. I can see some solutions in the future for this, the problem beeing how far would/should these solutions go (ie how much of this case should be treated, because there are several problems mixed together), and if they are compatible with the current architecture (and all legacy aspects)
On the ENV's: okay! I see. Very good. It takes time to really 'get' Stix. I'm starting to. So deep.

On the 'metrics': well, I guess there is enough potential for mathematical trickery to use these workarounds if need be. Obviously the ideal would be a workflow that worked with the reality of 'live' DAW midi and tempo/metrics. One day I hope!

plugin'd out wrote:Logic (at least for v9 - don't know if this was introduced in Logic 10, anyone?)
Looks like Logic does Not support midi out from vst.
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3872

"However, if this plugin is a virtual instrument that outputs MIDI to control other things, then you cannot use it in Logic as Logic does not support MIDI output from virtual instruments."

Not sure as I don't use it. Maybe someone else could confirm.

Can someone who has logic try recording midi out from Stix into Logic to confirm if it works or not?

memyselfandus wrote:Can someone who has logic try recording midi out from Stix into Logic to confirm if it works or not?
Unfortunately, I work on PCs, so I can't test it myself atm.

I've transmitted the question to Xils-Lab a few days ago, and will report here as soon as I get an answer.

Lotuzia wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:Can someone who has logic try recording midi out from Stix into Logic to confirm if it works or not?
Unfortunately, I work on PCs, so I can't test it myself atm.

I've transmitted the question to Xils-Lab a few days ago, and will report here as soon as I get an answer.
Thank you!

Can someone who uses Logic try this out?

Return to “Instruments”