Announcing Orchestral Template For Reaper (OTR)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys - I hope this is appropriate to post in this forum. If not, please feel free to move it where it needs to be.

I've been a member on a different composer's forum (with this same username) as I have just registered here for a while now and it was recommended that I share here, the same announcement I shared there. So I hope you enjoy what you are about to read. :tu:
--------------------------

I’ve always believed that if you create something that makes your life easier and more fulfilled, then that creation is the very thing in which others could benefit from as well. And so it is with the product I am introducing today - Orchestral Template for Reaper (OTR) - which was designed from the ground up as a solution to the workflow requirements of digital composers. In fact, I like to think that OTR takes the “work” out of it, leaving only the FLOW of inspiration between you and your final mix. No more audio routing quesitons. No more template design conundrums. No more limitations.

There is so much to discuss with this that it is hard to find a place to begin. So watch the video. Check out the website. There are 11 walkthrough videos available today, in addition to the promo video - and a features video that should get posted in the days to come.

In summary, OTR It is a package of 250 custom scripts and actions that build upon the Reaper platform. It is kinda like a spit and polished interface for composers (especially those that do not have the desire to program). But that's not all. There are additional features being introduced with OTR that consist of pre-configured Orchestral Templates, and a new feature I'm calling TrackPacks - which make loading everything needed for an orchestral session just a right-click away. In essence, everything a composer would need is just a menu tab or a click away. No more figuring out track routing. No more fighting to set up virtual orchestral halls. No more spaghetti wiring of groups, aux tracks, VCAs, midi tracks, VI output tracks, etc. It is a masterclass in track organization with a perfected workflow for composers.

The pre-order period reflects a 50% introductory package bundle price that runs until the release date of February 14, 2017 and is available at http://otr.storyteller.im. The preorder bundle includes the complete "Collection" library of TrackPacks that will only be available for sale individually after the preorder period.

I hope you enjoy all that you see. Promo video below.

https://youtu.be/rxhF_3BmrDk

This looks very attractive- great to see someone with the knowledge of composition workflow put in such a lot of hard work and make it available.

Is OTR dependent on any third party plugins or extensions eg SWS

what are the added scripts and actions?

Is there an upgrade / support system planned? I am thinking here of functionality that might change within the core Reaper set that breaks OTR.

thanks for a great looking and very needed product

Thanks! SWS is used minimally in a portion of the template. My personal goal is to rewrite anything with dependencies on SWS over subsequent releases. For the most part, this is a port of my personal workflow in which I used the tools that I had available when I developed it. So the short answer is yes, but the longer answer is not for forever. Nothing else other than SWS is used though.... and the decisions of using certain functionality from SWS was mostly due to saving time for not having to chug out similar code. Nearly all of OTR is architected only using ReaScript and the Reaper API.

Most of the 250 scripts drive the 11 menus and subsequent actions that are called throughout the workflow. Many of these features can be viewed in the walkthrough videos located at http://otr.storyteller.im.

There is an upgrade support system planned. Good question! Updates will occur when required due to subsequent updates in Reaper. It is built in a manner that nothing should break the template unless certain APIs are deprecated over time - which hasn't really seemed to happen much during Reaper's development cycle. So that is always good news.

TrackPacks will constantly be added, updated, and expanded as new plugins are released and partnerships with developers grow. There are some great things planned in this area.

Let me know if you have additional questions. I want to certainly make sure I can be as thorough as possible in talking about OTR. More videos will be coming soon too!

So you are not going to say what the scripts/actions do ?
Duh

You might want to get rid of the Linux references from your web page. OS X was not based on Linux it was based on another open microkernel called Mach developed at CMU.

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... /Mach.html

Good luck with the product though :)

resynthesis wrote:You might want to get rid of the Linux references from your web page. OS X was not based on Linux it was based on another open microkernel called Mach developed at CMU.

https://developer.apple.com/library/con ... /Mach.html

Good luck with the product though :)
Thanks for the catch. It was supposed to have said Unix on the website. But you are right and certainly thanks for pointing it out. It is now fixed. :)

bungle wrote:So you are not going to say what the scripts/actions do ?
As for defining each of the scripts and actions in a public forum, I don't think it would provide much value. But they essentially are the calls that perform the tasks needed in the workflow. There are a good number of scripts that deal with track organization. So, for example, toggling on and off the VCA section would be a single script. And when you get into batch rendering, there are another series of custom scripts called and so forth. Some menu buttons (to a much much lesser extent) do not use custom scripts but instead call a series of predefined functions that already exist in the API. So that "action" is more like a carefully chosen series of commands that already exists in Reaper. There are some nifty and complex custom functions that were created to do some specific tasks but overall, it could probably be seen that each script in and of itself is less important than what they do cumulatively in a modular way. Illustrating the number of scripts was to help developers understand the complexity involved in the product development.

From an end-user standpoint, my intention is to remove the need to do any additional modding of reaper via ReaScript and instead leave the user to just making music and making theme changes if desired. So, really, the focus of the videos and marketing is on "this is what this button does" rather than "this is the script the button calls."

With that said, if you would like to personally know more about the scripts and actions, I'll be glad to discuss that with you. You can send me an email from the storyteller.im website and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Hope this helps a bit ;)

A new video has been added called "OTR - A Primer". It is a much more condensed, 10,000 foot walkthrough of some of the most notable features in OTR. Hope this adds some clarity to some of the questions being asked!

https://youtu.be/ZFYBYnDSIKw

I added some new videos today including a 3 part series on the included midi functionality within OTR. The videos are available on the website at Http://otr.storyteller.im as well as the Storyteller Youtube channel.

Without a doubt if I had not bought FL over Christmas I would buy this. Sorely needed for Reaper, which has been written to encourage this sort of product, and beautifully explained in the videos.

woggle wrote:Without a doubt if I had not bought FL over Christmas I would buy this. Sorely needed for Reaper, which has been written to encourage this sort of product, and beautifully explained in the videos.
Hey, you'll have a good time with FL - and when the time comes, OTR will still be here. :tu: Thank you for the compliments!

storyteller wrote:
woggle wrote:Without a doubt if I had not bought FL over Christmas I would buy this. Sorely needed for Reaper, which has been written to encourage this sort of product, and beautifully explained in the videos.
Hey, you'll have a good time with FL - and when the time comes, OTR will still be here. :tu: Thank you for the compliments!
I am still tempted to buy OTR and use both :) two reasons - firstly OTR looks a great improvement on stock Reaper, but also you are providing lots of excellent tutorials. One of the attractions of FL was the large selection of very good tutorials, which range across basic explanations of functionality to in depth worked examples. I am very careful now when I buy products that the tutorial support is there in a form I find easy to understand.

woggle wrote:
storyteller wrote:
I am still tempted to buy OTR and use both :) two reasons - firstly OTR looks a great improvement on stock Reaper, but also you are providing lots of excellent tutorials. One of the attractions of FL was the large selection of very good tutorials, which range across basic explanations of functionality to in depth worked examples. I am very careful now when I buy products that the tutorial support is there in a form I find easy to understand.
It's something I definitely feel strongly about as well. I'm glad they have been well received. Just so you know, there are already five more videos that have been recorded that I will be posting in the days to come, and there are more before the launch date I have planned to record and release as well. Two videos I have not yet recorded are actually two of the topics I am most excited to unveil (they haven't even been mentioned on the website or on forum discussions). So definitely stay tuned for those. ;)

Today I've added five new videos that showcase how to use Track Templates and how to use the Library Builder feature which will allow you to design your own TrackPacks. Hope you enjoy! :D In particular, I think you just may be pleasantly surprised on the "OTR Mapped" version of the track templates. Not to spoil anything or spill the beans on new surprises upcoming, but you will see this feature used in some really amazing things to come (that I haven't yet shared)... More videos upcoming! :)

OTR - Using Track Templates & Creating TrackPacks - Part 1 of 5
https://youtu.be/0lxJF9f8wGo

OTR - Using Track Templates & Creating TrackPacks - Part 2 of 5
https://youtu.be/m3IwcZxC_6Q

OTR - Using Track Templates & Creating TrackPacks - Part 3 of 5
https://youtu.be/os-HYMxxCbU

OTR - Using Track Templates & Creating TrackPacks - Part 4 of 5
https://youtu.be/vR70V_XZfKk

OTR - Using Track Templates & Creating TrackPacks - Part 5 of 5
https://youtu.be/GR9TGw10xPw

well I've put my money down :)

looks amazing and worth putting the time in to learn