Full Bucket Music "Deputy II" crashing Tracktion T7

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I downloaded this nice synth. https://www.fullbucket.de/music/deputy.html
I went ahead and used it on a track, and then the file would not load into Tracktion and would crash the program...I ended up losing my work because I could not load the edit file.
I wondered if anyone had any insight on this?
If this synth won't work, does anyone have any other suggestions for a good synth that includes some nice analog-type string sounds? I am starting to miss my old Roland MKS-50.
Mark Swanson, guitarist and luthier
Click to visit Swanson Guitars
http://www.MarkSwansonMusic.com

Right, here's what to do to get your work back. It won't answer your other questions though.

Start a new project. Open the default edit and add a safe VSTi to one of the tracks (Tracktion Sampler, perhaps). Then save and close it. Let's say you called it NewOne. Close Tracktion.

Find the folder for the new project. Open the folder. Use a text editor (eg: Notepad) to open the file NewOneEdit1.tracktionedit.

Scroll down until you find a line that begins <TRACK

You may have encountered XML format, or HTML before. In case you haven't, it contains tags. Tags usually have an opening and a closing. In the case of the TRACK tags, they hold together a bunch of information, including details of the plug-ins for each track in the edit.

So, there'll be several lines that start something like this:
<TRACK mediaId="33965a/226971" midiVProp="0.28125" midiVOffset="0.359375">
and then there are lines beginning <FILTER and <OUTPUT DEVICES and maybe others and the info for the track ends with this:
</TRACK>
and then there's stuff for more tracks.

So, this is the plan: You can open, in another instance of your text editor, the project edit file you put the Deputy II plug-in in. Then you can just overwrite the <FILTER Deputy II /> data with the corresponding data from the safe filter you added.

So, find the folder of your lost project and, with your text editor, open the file LostProjectEdit6.tracktionedit.

Scroll down to the <FILTER part that includes the Deputy II plug-in. These are sometimes several lines long . The one for the Tracktion 64-bit FM Synth looks like this:

<FILTER type="vst" uid="12345678" filename="C:\Program Files\vstplugins\Tracktion\FM Synth (64-bit).dll"
name="FM Synth (64-bit)" manufacturer="Tracktion Software Corporation"
id="0/309ab6a" programNum="0" state="955.CMlaKA....fQBMDZ....AP0TDgE...vY....h.............................................................................................................................................................................v.aX0PxDhDC...7P0TCQDVw.iO7.kTOcjTA0DHo4FYkgWOh.iHf3VXsUVOhHjbocFZzARQrU1XzIWZiABToElauIxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOh.iHfXWXrUWY8HBLh7hO7.UPRETSEQUQRARZtQVY30iHwHBH1EFa0UVOh.iK1PSN4jSN4biMwTCNwPiLvjiHu3COPEjTA0TQTUjTfjlajUFd8HhLh.hcgwVck0iHv3BMzDCLv.CLwPSMzLSMyLyLyHxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOhLiHfXWXrUWY8HBLtfCMx.CLv.CL2XiL4LSNzTyLh7hO7.UPRETSEQUQRARZtQVY30iHzHBH1EFa0UVOh.iKyHCN4jSN4jiMwfSMy.iL2LiHu3COPEjTA0TQTUjTfjlajUFd8HRMh.hcgwVck0iHv3hLy.CLv.CLvPSL2HyLxTSLyHxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOhXiHfXWXrUWY8HBLtfCLv.CLv.SLwjiLvjiL3jiMh7hO7.UPRETSEQUQRARZtQVY30iH2HBH1EFa0UVOh.iKvTCLv.CLv.CL2PSMvTCNvXiHu3COPEjTA0TQTUjTfjlajUFd8HBNh.hcgwVck0iHv3BNv.CLv.CLwDSNx.SNxfSN1HxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOhjiHfXWXrUWY8HBLtfSN4jSN4jyM1DSM3DCMx.SNh7hO7.UPRETSEQUQRARZtQVY30iHw.iHfXWXrUWY8HBLh7hO7.UPRETSEQUQRARZtQVY30iHwDiHfXWXrUWY8HBLtTiHu3COPEjTA0TQTUjTfjlajUFd8HRLxHBH1EFa0UVOh.iK0HxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOhDyLh.hcgwVck0iHv3BMzXSN4jSN4XSNv.SM0fCM2HxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOhDCMh.hcgwVck0iHvHxK9vCTAIUPMUDUEIEHo4FYkgWOhDSMh.hcgwVck0iHv3BMwPCLv.CLvPSMxjSN0LiHu3COuP0TCQDVw.iO.."/>

The one for Tracktion Sampler looks like this:

<FILTER type="sampler" id="0/31b2bfc"/>

Delete the whole of the Deputy II filter tag, all the way to the /> ending.

Copy the safe filter tag from the NewOneEdit1.tracktionedit file (or you could add the Tracktion Sampler one above).

Paste it where the Deputy II filter was. Save and close the file.

Start Tracktion. Your LostProject project should now open safely.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Wow, very cool. So, does this mean that the Deputy will not be a reliable plug in for Tracktion or is this just a once in a while thing that can happen to any plug in?
I don't know if I should keep using the Deputy synth or not.
Thank you!

I really have no idea about Deputy, I'm afraid. Perhaps support or other users can answer that. I gather TSC talk to other companies about problem plug-ins, since such difficulties benefit neither party. Problems do occur from time to time, as older threads on the forum will attest. Some difficulties can take a long time to be resolved, for a variety of reasons.

You might try creating a project with, initially, just the Deputy synth in it, so that you can see whether the project can be re-opened, and so you don't lose lots of effort again (or need to go through the above!).
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

For anyone else with a similar problem in the future, it appears that merely deleting the <FILTER .... > containing the problematic plug-in is sufficient and Tracktion will be able to open the edit.

hey, thanks a lot!

8)

Ok, well I have followed along with you here and I managed to load the file into Notepad and found the Deputy II's <Filter /> tag...it was full of a whole bunch of what looked like corrupted data. I deleted that.
My problem is with saving this edited file. Notepad has no option to save it as an XML file, I don't know what format to save it in, or just how to do it. I see that in order for Tracktion to read it, it must be a .tracktionedit file. How do I get there?

The filename should be whatever.tracktionedit. XML is just a text file format anyway, so there's nothing special going on. It worked okay when I clicked Save, but there are a few things you can do otherwise, which I'll list for you and anyone who might find it useful.

1. In the Save As dialogue box, there is a Save As Type drop-down menu, and the All files (*.*) choice will let you preserve the existing file suffix.

2. If you put double quotes at each end of the file name, it will save the file as whatever is between the quotes, irrespective of the Save As Type settings.

3. You can rename the file via File Explorer after saving it.

Hope that helps.

Just as an aside, if you're on Windows and find a plugin crashing on startup, try opening T7 in Administrator Mode first. It could be that the plugin is trying to do some authorisation or something on its startup and messes up when it doesn't have Administrator access.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Just FYI - I've used Deputy on the regular with T7, windows 64, never had a problem. It's light and sounds great. Maybe make sure you're using the latest version of Tracktion and Deputy?

Thanks, yes, both are current. I'll work with it again and see if I have any more issues. It may have been just a one-time thing.
I also think something may have corrupted the whole file because no matter how I saved it from Notepad it would not load back into Tracktion. I was not able to recover it.

Mark, I'm on my way out right now, but if you like, I'll PM you my email address and you can send me your file and I'll see if I can save anything at all from it for you.

That would be really nice!

Return to “Tracktion”