MuLab 7.2.24

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a small update request as I found a few niggles in Mulab:

- When I want to rename an item that is named automatically (e.g. a rack) the rename field does not show the current name of the item. So if I want to alter the name of a given item I must type the whole thing anew. Exception: the 'Master' rack.

- Opening the Sequence editor other then with double-clicking opens it Floating even when preference = Docked.
So there is no way to have a keyboard shortcut to opening a docked Sequence editor. (I wanted to mimic the behaviour of another DAW by opening the main sections 'Edit' & 'Modular' with function keys. Seems not possible for 'Edit'. Not docked anyway.)

And Please consider using System dialogs for getting files, because navigating those custom dialogs by using keys is a pain:

- using keys to type the first characters of file/folder name doesn't work.

- when using Arrow keys then using PageUp/PageDown is useless because when one uses the arrow keys afterwards the position reverts to the last position ( e.g. If position is 'ABC' and PgUp to 'GHI' then using arrow keys reverts to 'ABD') :(

System is Windows 7-32bit

Thanks in Advance! :)

Hi Jo, I believe I mentioned this before. But sometimes there are dropouts on the audio on live playback.

I have found the culprit!

I have been working on a soft synth here and I kept getting these CPU spikes and I wasn't sure if the issue was you or me. So I ran the time profiler and voila! It looks like it was...

(Drum roll please!)

Neither of us! mdworker FTW! :dog: I had forgotten how much I hate that nasty little daemon. :evil: For those not familiar, it is Spotlight on the Mac and insists on constantly interrupting you to use your _entire_ CPU to index your hard drive do you can find files. :x

I'd kill it but I rely on it heavily while programming because I often need to see a bit if example code to see how something is supposed to work.

Anyways, Apple is to blame!. Shocking, I know! :lol:
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

FYI, you can change the priority of an OSX process in Terminal using (Unix) nice/renice commands +/-10. I've had no need for it, but I know it's there.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

syntonica wrote:Hi Jo, I believe I mentioned this before. But sometimes there are dropouts on the audio on live playback.

I have found the culprit!

I have been working on a soft synth here and I kept getting these CPU spikes and I wasn't sure if the issue was you or me. So I ran the time profiler and voila! It looks like it was...

(Drum roll please!)

Neither of us! mdworker FTW! :dog: I had forgotten how much I hate that nasty little daemon. :evil: For those not familiar, it is Spotlight on the Mac and insists on constantly interrupting you to use your _entire_ CPU to index your hard drive do you can find files. :x

I'd kill it but I rely on it heavily while programming because I often need to see a bit if example code to see how something is supposed to work.

Anyways, Apple is to blame!. Shocking, I know! :lol:
Hey thanks, I was also wondering what caused that

Michael L wrote:FYI, you can change the priority of an OSX process in Terminal using (Unix) nice/renice commands +/-10. I've had no need for it, but I know it's there.
Nice will change the priority, meaning it will hog the CPU completely less often, but it still hogs the CPU. I tried just telling it to completely ignore the entire hard drive. It still spikes the CPU as it determines there's nothing to index. Plus, nice is not permanent. You have to renice after every reboot.

I think the only thing that will work is to disable it with:

sudo mdutils -i off

and occasionally reenable to do update the indexing.

I continually bump into this awful process and its ilk (it will spawn a half-dozen mdworkers to bring your CPU to its knees) and I wish Apple would either tell it to do its job more slowly, or allow an easy way to manually run the indexing.

Once upon a time, back in the OS 9 days, indexing ran once a week and you could schedule it to do its thing while you were sleeping. I only ran afoul of it once when I was up late and that's how I discovered this! :)
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Can you wrap programs you don't want it to run alongside with a script that disables it? Then it will run most of the time but not when you need sane CPU usage.

Hello Jo,

I got no reaction to my reply (see above) :( :cry:

zxant wrote:I got no reaction to my reply (see above) :( :cry:
General note: Please note that i do not always reply to each and every post / feature request, for the reasons why pls read this info page.
zxant wrote:Opening the Sequence editor other then with double-clicking opens it Floating even when preference = Docked.
So there is no way to have a keyboard shortcut to opening a docked Sequence editor.
You can use a shortcut to "Switch To Part Editor".
using keys to type the first characters of file/folder name doesn't work.
It does work, but i agree there is room for improvement. In the next version the search will start from the cursor item continuing downwards, eventually looping to the start if nothing found before the end of the list. I also added [Ctrl]+G = Search again for the same input string. Note that you can type multiple characters eg B + E will search for matching files starting with "BE".
when using Arrow keys then using PageUp/PageDown is useless because when one uses the arrow keys afterwards the position reverts to the last position ( e.g. If position is 'ABC' and PgUp to 'GHI' then using arrow keys reverts to 'ABD')
Page up/down is the same behavior as page up/down via the scrollbar.

"Page up/down is the same behavior as page up/down via the scrollbar."

That's not what I meant. I meant that using PgUp/PgDwn is not adjusting the position in the list and therefore currently useless when navigating with the keyboard. :(

And what about the blank field when renaming items? :?:

Pls see the feature requests info page. I'm currently working on main feature requests made by many users and i'm trying to keep focus as much as possible. Hope you understand.

:zzz:

I agree, having to retype the existing name sucks. It also happens when I want to update my existing templates for instance. Dare you use long names... :P

Ok tuned that in the next version. When renaming Tracks, Racks, etc... the current name is always filled into the edit field, even when it's using the automatic name.

Thank you! :hug:

Return to “MUTOOLS”