Free VSCO2 Rompler released

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a couple months of picking individual piano keys, trying not to put the wrong round robin sample in the right place or visa versa and other fun tasks, VSCO2 Rompler Version 2 is out. Well as I type this the Win versions are available for download and the Mac versions are slowly uploading. DSL upload speeds oh my....

http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... mpler.html

Thanks to Sam and Simon for the samples and artwork, things look and sound better this time round. There are 2000+ samples, 25 instruments and 88 articulations (sort of) covering most of a chamber orchestra. It is intended to be a smaller and more intimate orchestra so we aren't talking 100 instruments going from ff to ffff here. A lot of solo instruments and some small sections. It is also dry so add in reverb.

The short articulations have round robins now and there is a new trombone and lightly sampled piccolo and extra upright piano. Sam gave me some good advice on everything from the GUI to the release times, some of which I took. Any flaws are certainly my own.

wow what a nice job!
will check it out later

Simply amazing work! :clap:

Thanks guys. A big part of it of course is Sam and Simon who provided the assets.

bigcat1969 wrote:Thanks guys. A big part of it of course is Sam and Simon who provided the assets.
I've gave it a try, took some time to properly test it and I'm stunned! In my opinion, it's worth money. One could composed an entire score with it. Maybe it would sound a bit retro, or pastoral, but it would have character for sure.

The only sound I didn't like is the old trombone, but hey, for the price I really can't complain. The sounds are way better than the previously available public domain orchestral samples. All the articulations are super easy to use in the plugin.

The plugin could be use in schools and universities. For educational purpose this is great. :tu:

Thanks SampleScience. Coming from you especially that means a lot.

Good ear on the old trombone it is actually a test Sam did before starting the VSCO2 project and it doesn't quite sound like it belongs.

I'm glad you mentioned education, that reminds me I meant to see if there are any sort of musical educational resource sites and let them know this exists. I'd forgotten about that.

bigcat1969 wrote:I'm glad you mentioned education, that reminds me I meant to see if there are any sort of musical educational resource sites and let them know this exists. I'd forgotten about that.
When I was studying electronic music at university, they really needed a free good quality orchestra plugin. But at the time, there was nothing remotely good for orchestral sounds on the freeware scene.

In my opinion, the free VSCO2 is good enough for classes on audio MIDI sequencing & orchestral composition/mixing in a DAW. I'll try to contact one of my teacher there to let him know about your plugin, I'm sure he will be interested.

Also, my Orion Sound Module is already used in some colleges and universities, and it's not nearly as good as VSCO2. So there's definitely potential for the educational "market".

Great job on this guys :tu:

Hi Bigcat,

great job on this again :D , but I already have a question:

- is the articulation only as information or should it be selectable ? If it should be selectable dont work for me with 64 bit version on win 64 bit, mulab 64 bit. Selection of instruments work

EDIT: solved, sorry did not realise that it only works via the keyboard, thought it would work like selecting instruments :dog:

I love Orion Sound Module. I just kicked it up and played around with a random Serenade midi and it has all kinds of nice sounds. I love how eclectic it is from a Grand Piano to a Toy Gamelan in a couple clicks. I should also acknowledge a debt of gratitude to SampleScience and Orion. I didn't realize that you could use Maize to make a Rompler / Module until Orion can out. That inspired the Sonatina Rompler which inspired the first VSCO2 Community Rompler which caused Sam to say "hey you wanna make that better" which led to the current Rompler. So no Orion no this. Also some explanations and help along the way. Also months of tediously dragging samples into position... ;P

I was actually more thinking high school and lower, good thoughts on colleges. i just assumed they would have the budget to buy VSL or something like that.

Thanks TheControlCentre.

Hey Tatanka. That threw me too the first time Sam sent me the resources / instructions to make these since I'd always done the bit where you chose the articulation up top on the name. I guess it works either way and at least this way it is obvious where the articulations are.

bigcat1969 wrote:I was actually more thinking high school and lower, good thoughts on colleges. i just assumed they would have the budget to buy VSL or something like that.
When I was in music at the university, the teacher distributed pirated copies of Kontakt... (seriously)

Good to know Orion inspired other plugins, when I started using Maize I wanted to make plugins good enough to inspired others to make their own. Mission accomplished. :)

And your new VSCO2 works in 64-bit OSX with the updated Maize! I am so happy. Perhaps it may inspire Orion in return? :D
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

That's crazy SampleScience. I remember an online course cut a deal with Cockos for to make a special version of Reaper available with a longer free period for people taking the course. I thought that was cool of Cockos.

I'm jealous of your Maize coding abilities, Orion has Legato and LFO settings and all kinds of cool stuff.

Thanks Michael L. I'm glad to know it works. I don't have a Mac, so I kind of take it on faith that it is going to be OK when I export. I'm always happy to get conformation. For some reason my Mac AU downloads are very high with this release. Thanks Mac guys!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”