Synthmaster One?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthMaster One

toonertik wrote:
egbert101 wrote:I'm going to assume that in Synthmaster Three, layers are confined to oscillators (and possibly filters), but FX and ARP will be global.

However, I'd hope there is some kind of way to get FX and ARP functions per layer. In LuSH-101, for example, it's truly multilayered, meaning that each layer uses a full synth engine, including FX (only one FX per layer) and ARP and even unison. They're all pushed into a single Mixer section with Delay and Reverb.
It would seem you are not familiar with the ORIGINAL SM... now at version 2-8-7>>>SM_2-8-7
this has two layers... each layer has it's own ARP (settings can be copied/pasted) there are both layer FX and Global FX (the devices can be interchanged) with two busses...
My interpretation of the eight layers is that it will (HOPEFULLY) be of similar architecture. )))) PLZZZ!
Dune2 does indeed have one global ARP.. BUT the way they have done the voices and modulatio allows the sound designer to modulate each and or various voices separately, using an mseg to manipulate these voice tuning as well as other parameters.
I'm familiar with it, because I own it (hence why I got Synthmaster One for nothing). However, I have hardly touched it apart from switching presets, becuase of the horrible workflow.

That's part of the reason why I'm raving so much about Synthmaster One for now, because of the greatly improved workflow, and it just happens to sound amazing.

As far as I'm aware, (and feel free to correct me), Synthmaster Three's architecture or code, is probably going to carry on from One, which makes sense, keeping the idea of having everything on the same page, so as to maximize the workflow. Hence why I wrote what I did, hoping that layering will open up to its fullest potential by having FX and ARP per layer. The only problem would be, that usually such synths are optimized for CPU efficiency and simplicity, meaning a more complex synth might need a full rewrite.

Since Three is still in development stage, I was hoping to bring it up now, rather than later.
<List your stupid gear here>

toonertik wrote:
nusound mind wrote:kv331 (& others) thanks for info. Forgive me, don't mean to complain, the gui in 2.8 small enough that my mouse has trouble click and dragging b/c of the size so functionally it's finicky in that respect, thus my insistence.

SM1 on the other hand size wise is nicely in the goldie locks zone for me, & so far loving the sound it makes as well.
I am an old git.. I have to wear glasses to read... so much has been negative about the GUI...
I see it perfectly.. I use the blue skin (to match my eyes ofc ))))) and it looks and works perfectly on win7 with both my monitors... one at 1280 x 1024 , the other at 1920 x 1080...
although I do agree with others that the actual workflow could be better, it is hard to imagine how so much user power could be delivered. As to click and drag.. they work for me.. though the facility to have text fields to edit would be nice, even the outer parameter mod values are ok to change once you find their sweet spot ))))
In my case 1920 -1080 monitor (i think?) mouse pointer often won't pick up the extra layer/envelope on top of the knob I've dragged it to. Overall can see the layout alright although for me I wouldn't say perfectly, there is mild degree of squinting involved whenever i've used it. I don't wear glasses, vision is fine, so MMV I guess. *shrug*

Enough of this for me though, back to the topic of SM1 which on my setup is just the right size & sounds good as well.

egbert101 wrote:
toonertik wrote:
egbert101 wrote:I'm going to assume that in Synthmaster Three, layers are confined to oscillators (and possibly filters), but FX and ARP will be global.

However, I'd hope there is some kind of way to get FX and ARP functions per layer. In LuSH-101, for example, it's truly multilayered, meaning that each layer uses a full synth engine, including FX (only one FX per layer) and ARP and even unison. They're all pushed into a single Mixer section with Delay and Reverb.
It would seem you are not familiar with the ORIGINAL SM... now at version 2-8-7>>>SM_2-8-7
this has two layers... each layer has it's own ARP (settings can be copied/pasted) there are both layer FX and Global FX (the devices can be interchanged) with two busses...
My interpretation of the eight layers is that it will (HOPEFULLY) be of similar architecture. )))) PLZZZ!
Dune2 does indeed have one global ARP.. BUT the way they have done the voices and modulatio allows the sound designer to modulate each and or various voices separately, using an mseg to manipulate these voice tuning as well as other parameters.
I'm familiar with it, because I own it (hence why I got Synthmaster One for nothing). However, I have hardly touched it apart from switching presets, becuase of the horrible workflow.

That's part of the reason why I'm raving so much about Synthmaster One for now, because of the greatly improved workflow, and it just happens to sound amazing.

As far as I'm aware, (and feel free to correct me), Synthmaster Three's architecture or code, is probably going to carry on from One, which makes sense, keeping the idea of having everything on the same page, so as to maximize the workflow. Hence why I wrote what I did, hoping that layering will open up to its fullest potential by having FX and ARP per layer. The only problem would be, that usually such synths are optimized for CPU efficiency and simplicity, meaning a more complex synth might need a full rewrite.

Since Three is still in development stage, I was hoping to bring it up now, rather than later.

It's not "Synthmaster Three", it's "Synthmaster 3". :P

That what's distinguishes these synths. The 'old' SM is with numbers and this 'One' is named with letters.

Simple! :shrug:

zxant wrote: It's not "Synthmaster Three", it's "Synthmaster 3". :P

That what's distinguishes these synths. The 'old' SM is with numbers and this 'One' is named with letters.

Simple! :shrug:
I prefer Synthmaster Three. Sue me. :hihi:

I'm still waiting for a manual, and I'd like to know how to save and retrieve presets. Every time I save a favorite, I can't find a way to load it. Help?

cuttime wrote:I'm still waiting for a manual, and I'd like to know how to save and retrieve presets. Every time I save a favorite, I can't find a way to load it. Help?
Saving presets is pretty straightforward. Press the 'Save' button right at the top. Then click Browse and find the preset in the preset list, right-click and select 'Add ... To My Favourites'. Then you can select your favourites by clicking on the little preset window at the top, and a menu will popup with your favourites list.

I think it's a bit clunky but straightforward. Maybe a smoother method for user presets can be set up in future.

Working on a track where I use SM1 as the only synth. 8 out of 14 tracks so far is SM1, and the CPU only hit 40%. That's amazingly low.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

toonertik wrote: It would seem you are not familiar with the ORIGINAL SM... now at version 2-8-7>>>SM_2-8-7
The main reasoning behind layers is each layer processes a "different" MIDI generated by the Arp/Seq.
Also, each layer has it's own modulation sources like the ADSR envelopes, keyscalers, LFOs etc, and also its own insert FX.

In SynthMaster 3 I will keep the same layer architecture, but will let the user assign a MIDI channel to a layer and also keyboard zone. By default all layer will be Omni and their keyboard zone will be notes 0-127. Also, if I can finally figure out dynamic parameter/structure/class creation in a VST plugin, I will let each layer has it's own effects. Right now the FX is somewhat limited to fixed instances. For instance you can only have 1 reverb instance. Once I figure out this dynamic stuff, life will be much easier :)
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

egbert101 wrote: Then you can select your favourites by clicking on the little preset window at the top, and a menu will popup with your favourites list.
Than you for the response. I can save and load presets, but nowhere can I find a "load favorites" function like in Synthmaster 2.8. R-click, L-click anywhere on the interface yields no results. I'm on the Mac AU version.

cuttime wrote:
egbert101 wrote: Then you can select your favourites by clicking on the little preset window at the top, and a menu will popup with your favourites list.
Than you for the response. I can save and load presets, but nowhere can I find a "load favorites" function like in Synthmaster 2.8. R-click, L-click anywhere on the interface yields no results. I'm on the Mac AU version.
I am still working on the user manual. To load a favourite click on the preset name. a popup menu will appear. Click on the My Favorites menu and then choose the favorite preset to load:
LoadFavorite.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote:
I am still working on the user manual. To load a favourite click on the preset name. a popup menu will appear. Click on the My Favorites menu and then choose the favorite preset to load:
LoadFavorite.png
Thanks. Got it working.

kv331 wrote:
The main reasoning behind layers is each layer processes a "different" MIDI generated by the Arp/Seq.
Also, each layer has it's own modulation sources like the ADSR envelopes, keyscalers, LFOs etc, and also its own insert FX.

In SynthMaster 3 I will keep the same layer architecture, but will let the user assign a MIDI channel to a layer and also keyboard zone. By default all layer will be Omni and their keyboard zone will be notes 0-127. Also, if I can finally figure out dynamic parameter/structure/class creation in a VST plugin, I will let each layer has it's own effects. Right now the FX is somewhat limited to fixed instances. For instance you can only have 1 reverb instance. Once I figure out this dynamic stuff, life will be much easier :)
Again, I recommend having a look at D16 Group LuSH-101 on how it does layering. It even has a little mixer section. If you can have at least one FX per layer and ARP per layer, I'm happy. :tu:

EDIT: Oh yeah, unison per layer....also interesting! And yeah, remember the FX version of Synthmaster One, if you can enable audio in for the release or next update. :hihi:

egbert101 wrote: Again, I recommend having a look at D16 Group LuSH-101 on how it does layering. It even has a little mixer section. If you can have at least one FX per layer and ARP per layer, I'm happy. :tu:

EDIT: Oh yeah, unison per layer....also interesting! And yeah, remember the FX version of Synthmaster One, if you can enable audio in for the release or next update. :hihi:
Well, we already have

polyphony
unison
arp
5 fx insert slots

per layer in SM 2.8.

The only caveat with the FX is the number of FX instances if fixed, they're not dynamic. Once I solve that, it'll have a more flexible architecture.
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote:
egbert101 wrote: Again, I recommend having a look at D16 Group LuSH-101 on how it does layering. It even has a little mixer section. If you can have at least one FX per layer and ARP per layer, I'm happy. :tu:

Well, we already have

polyphony
unison
arp
5 fx insert slots

per layer in SM 2.8.

The only caveat with the FX is the number of FX instances if fixed, they're not dynamic. Once I solve that, it'll have a more flexible architecture.
Cool. :hyper:

One last question, if you don't mind. Will the layout and workflow in 3 be the same as 2? I was hoping that workflow and layout/GUI would be improved, as in the case of One, or the architecture would be based on One?

I must say I really like the monochrome 'prototype' GUI's of SM One. Finally a GUI that I don't have to squint at to see what's there. :)

Wouldn't mind those for "Synthmaster 3" as well. ;)

Return to “Instruments”