Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

ENV1 wrote:
Ingonator wrote:An oscillator that does FM with itself in a dedicated FM synth is called "Feedback". Feedback usually has a big influence on the waveshape which is not the case in Osc 3 of The Legend (opposing to modulating Osc 1+2).
I see now what you mean, but Ingo, personally i have yet to hear an analog oscillator modulating itself which sounds anything like a 'decicated FM synth' would in the same situation. (And i wouldnt really expect that either.)
Well the point is that what happens in Osc 3 in The Legend AND ALSO in NI Monark (which is similar there as already mentioned multiple times) is NOT working like Osc FM "feedback" like in a dedicated FM synth.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Hi, when using a square wave for Osc3 the self modulation leads to pitch change and pulse-width change.
Similar in Legend and Monark.

Ingonator wrote:Well the point is that what happens in Osc 3 in The Legend AND ALSO in NI Monark (which is similar there as already mentioned multiple times) is NOT working like Osc FM "feedback" like in a dedicated FM synth.
Ah, OK.

All clear then.

Chris-S wrote:Hi, when using a square wave for Osc3 the self modulation leads to pitch change and pulse-width change.

Indeed it is similar in Legend an mOnark as alraedy mentioned.

I could confirm the PW change when using a Square wave but this changes only as long as you move the MW (mod amount) fader. Same works with the Pulse waveforms.

Anyway after the MW fader is not moved there is no further pitch modulation found, not even very slow vibrato or osc drifting.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Chris-S wrote:Hi, when using a square wave for Osc3 the self modulation leads to pitch change and pulse-width change.

Ok, got it now. All it does is change the pitch from say C to F. Its not modulating the pitch (up and down)

If you are using OSC3 as an LFO you should have OSC and KT off anyway, so you wont get audio from it, so i dont see what the problem is

Cant say i have a clue why it would pitch itself up either...

I have recorded an improvisation using 9 instances of The Legend, all with my own patches which also includes 3 drum sounds (no other synths or samples used). This was recorded "live" using 3 MIDI controller keyboards.

Here is the track (5:00 min long, The Lead sound starts around 1 min):
Ingo Weidner - The Legend - Improvisation 01

The 3 drum instances were triggered by a looped MIDI clip. The Arpeggiator for the Bass is from the Novation Bass Station 2 used as a controller and the notes of the MIDI output of this were recorded.

The built-in Delay and Reverb were used in The Legend.
External effects used: Ensemble in ValhallaÜberMod (for 2 pad sounds) and ArtsAcoustic Big Rock Phaser (1 Strings pad sound). No additional external FXs used, also no mastering FXs.

The patches used for this track are: Square Glider Ld IW, Raw Solina Viola+Violin IW, BP Vox IW, Pink Rain IW, Slow CS-like Brass IW, In Your Face Bass 1 IW, Self-Osc Kick IW, Snare IW, Hi Hats IW.
Except the new patch "Pink Rain IW" all are included in my free 128 patches collection posted at the Soundware forum: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=15
For this track the Delay and Reverb are edited in some of those.

UPDATE:
I added a downlaod for the new "Pink Rain IW" patch to my thread in the Soundware forum.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

very nice impro, i like it !

carrieres wrote:very nice impro, i like it !
Thanks. :)

Seems to be hard to deny that in the past i was influenced by e.g. Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis and also the german band/project called Schiller (major person there is Christopher von Deylen)...
One specfic album i just have in mind is e.g. "Are You Sequenced?" by Klaus Schulze from 1996.
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:I have recorded an improvisation using 9 instances of The Legend, all with my own patches which also includes 3 drum sounds (no other synths or samples used). This was recorded "live" using 3 MIDI controller keyboards.

Here is the track (5:00 min long, The Lead sound starts around 1 min):
Ingo Weidner - The Legend - Improvisation 01

The 3 drum instances were triggered by a looped MIDI clip. The Arpeggiator for the Bass is from the Novation Bass Station 2 used as a controller and the notes of the MIDI output of this were recorded.

The built-in Delay and Reverb were used in The Legend.
External effects used: Ensemble in ValhallaÜberMod (for 2 pad sounds) and ArtsAcoustic Big Rock Phaser (1 Strings pad sound). No additional external FXs used, also no mastering FXs.

The patches used for this track are: Square Glider Ld IW, Raw Solina Viola+Violin IW, BP Vox IW, Pink Rain IW, Slow CS-like Brass IW, In Your Face Bass 1 IW, Self-Osc Kick IW, Snare IW, Hi Hats IW.
Except the new patch "Pink Rain IW" all are included in my free 128 patches collection posted at the Soundware forum: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=15
For this track the Delay and Reverb are edited in some of those.

UPDATE:
I added a downlaod for the new "Pink Rain IW" patch to my thread in the Soundware forum.
Here is the same track re-rendered using 5 different of my own patches for The Legend (3 drum instances and 1 pad are similar to the previous one):
The Legend - Improvisation 01_Variation 1

This time the only external FX used is an Ensemble from ValhallaÜberMod für the Choir/Vox like patch. The Delay and Reverb are the built-in ones in The Legend. Again no mastering FXs used.

All patches used are included in my free 128 patches collection posted at the Soundware forum.
Those are: 3 Partial Triangles IW, Bellic Echo Pad IW, BP Vox IW, Rise & Fall Rez Pad IW, Oxygene 4 Brass IW, Brassy Bass 1 IW, Self-Osc Kick IW, Snare IW, Hi Hats IW.
The Delay and Reverb was edited for some of them.
Ingo Weidner

OK, found the reason why in my initial A/B comparisons I preferred the sound of Monark over the Legend. In my tests the sampling rate was set to 44KHz, and Monark was "cheating" by running at 88KHz internally. It's set up like this by default to minimize artifacts at high resonance values.

Now that the same A/B test, matching closely the patches, was repeated at 96KHz, the sound quality is equally good on both synths. And the Legend has the added bonus of 4x polyphony. ;)

Ingonator wrote: Here is the same track re-rendered using 5 different of my own patches for The Legend (3 drum instances and 1 pad are similar to the previous one):
The Legend - Improvisation 01_Variation 1

This time the only external FX used is an Ensemble from ValhallaÜberMod für the Choir/Vox like patch. The Delay and Reverb are the built-in ones in The Legend. Again no mastering FXs used.
Some informations about the maximum CPU use during this track.

Details about the system used: Intel i5-3350P 4 core CPU (from 2013), 8 GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Ableton Live 9.7.1 64-bit, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP audio interface (Firewire connection).
Buffee size was set to 264 samples whie less is possible too. The 64-bit VST2 plugin of The Legend v1.10 was used.

In that track up to 9 instances of The Legend were used with 4 poly patches, 1 Unison patch and 4 mono patches. Additionaly for 1 instance the ValhallaÜberMod effect was used.
The maximum amount of The Legend voices used at once was 20.

The maximum CPU use/load displayed in Live 9 and the Windows 10 task manager using 2 different sample rates:
- 44.1 kHz, 256 samples buffer : 33 % in Live 9 and 27% in Windows task manager (CPU load of Live 9)
- 96 kHz, 256 samples buffer : 72 % in Live 9 and 54% in Windows task manager (CPU load of Live 9)

44.1 kHz and 256 samples buffer was used for rendering the track and this is currently my standard setting.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:German products, German artists, German music. :hihi:
:lol:
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Return to “Instruments”