Multisampler + performance - questions

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm new to MuLab - just testing free version in order to decide whether to purchase full version.
I must say that I'm really impressed by its modular workflow and flexibility - something that really encourages user to get creative.
However, there are a few questions I'd like to set clear (I know, maybe these are trivial for seasoned users, but for me it's not so obvious).

1. MULTISAMPLER
a) is there any way to select a number of samples at once to drag them into editor? (I've tried various shortcuts and none seems to work)
b) is it possible to select a number of samples and set common properties for all of them (e.g., to set a number of samples as one velocity layer)?
c) is any support for SFZ format (which seems to be quite widespread in freeware domain) planned or maybe already present?

2. CPU/PERFORMANCE
a) In Reaper there is extremely useful feature of showing CPU usage for individual FX (plugin). It makes session resources management really easy - you exactly know which plugins you should freeze/bounce? Is there any way to display such information in MuLab?
b) when rendering rack output to audio and deactivating its sources, I save CPU cycles and that's great, but what about RAM (essential when playing with big sample libraries)? I understand that despite being "toggled off" the plugin still takes its memory, am I right?

Thanks in advance for answers and big respect to developers for blowing some fresh air into the world of digital music creation ;)

Jorroman wrote: a) is there any way to select a number of samples at once to drag them into editor? (I've tried various shortcuts and none seems to work)
Yes you can drag-drop multiple sample files together on the multi-sample editor ie the editor with the piano keyboard at the top.
b) is it possible to select a number of samples and set common properties for all of them (e.g., to set a number of samples as one velocity layer)?
Not yet.
c) is any support for SFZ format (which seems to be quite widespread in freeware domain) planned or maybe already present?
Not yet present but definitely planned, at least basic SFZ support.
a) In Reaper there is extremely useful feature of showing CPU usage for individual FX (plugin). It makes session resources management really easy - you exactly know which plugins you should freeze/bounce? Is there any way to display such information in MuLab?
Not yet. I've added a note on the (long) wishlist. Can't say anything yet about if and when it will be implemented.
when rendering rack output to audio and deactivating its sources, I save CPU cycles and that's great, but what about RAM (essential when playing with big sample libraries)? I understand that despite being "toggled off" the plugin still takes its memory, am I right?
Indeed only CPU usage is switched off, RAM usage is not affected ie. the plugin stays in memory.
Thanks in advance for answers and big respect to developers for blowing some fresh air into the world of digital music creation ;)
Thanks! Please spread the news via your social networks and stay tuned for new improved and extended versions.

Thanks! All right, but what combination of keys should be used to select the desired samples? (sorry for maybe noob question, but as I've said I haven't found aby combination that works here)

You want to drag-drop multiple samples from MuLab's project browser? Hold Shift to select multiple samples. (What = Samples)
I see that multiple selection is not yet supported for What = Audio Files, will be added in the next version. Until then you can also drag-drop multiple sample files from the OS file browser. (Mac: Finder, Windows: File Explorer)

Well, you're right, it works - I have to add samples folder to "this project" at first, then "shift" makes it possible to make a selection.

I was trying to select "what: all disks" and add samples directly this way - in that case I can add only one file at time.

FYI: From the next version on, you'll be able to directly drag-drop multiple sample files from the project browser "Audio Files" list.

great news!! :-)

One more question:

is it possible to fix that after loading a bunch of samples to multisample player, in composer there are the actual sample names automatically displayed (on keyboard) rather than note names?

Jorroman wrote:One more question:

is it possible to fix that after loading a bunch of samples to multisample player, in composer there are the actual sample names automatically displayed (on keyboard) rather than note names?
This seems prone to confusion, to me. What if there are overlapping samples (i.e. velocity-sensitive or note-sensitive layer cross-fades)? Would you expect the key names to update if you changed things inside the multisampla? If not, it would definitely be confusing. If so, it would definitely be confusing with multiple "names" for the same note, surely?

Well, in the case of multisampled melodic instruments, you're right - it would not only be confusing, but actually wouldn't make any sense.

But if you load a number of drum or FX samples it would be nice to instantly see if certain note refers to, let's say, kick, beep or some FX sound.

To be honest, after loading samples into external instrument (namely Shorcircuit sampler) note keys were replaced with sample names. I just wonder if it would be possible with native multisampler (always nice if you can leave other stuff for some included one).

I guess you could do something like this... (I'm not suggesting this is possible to do...)

- Get all the sample names
- Drop any part (prefix, suffix, infix) that is the same across all names
- Get all the names for each note
- Drop any part that is different between each name

That should give note names that reflect the "constant" part of the name without any unnecessary overhead.

Return to “MUTOOLS”