Vendors allowing license transfers

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wanted to be sure - if I buy a NI product from someone and he transfers the license to me, is it as if I bought it originally and I get all updates on it? This is for Kontakt 5.

Thanks.

jimlau wrote:I wanted to be sure - if I buy a NI product from someone and he transfers the license to me, is it as if I bought it originally and I get all updates on it? This is for Kontakt 5.

Thanks.
Exactly the same.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Blue Cat Audio changed their policy:
We have indeed exceptionally authorized license transfers in the past as an experimentation, but finally decided to stick to the strict terms and conditions in the end because of the time it takes to handle license transfers transactions. We may be able to enable this in the future, but we currently do not have the means to do it properly. As for other people selling our plug-ins, I have no idea what they actually sell, but we do not register any transfer of ownership here.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
The Blue Cat Audio Team

Froqqer wrote:Xfer Records and physic modulation?
Serum = 25 dollars + NFR what a shame, won't buy from them anymore!
Last edited by Semipro on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sound Radix 32Lives = 20 dollars + NFR F****g shame, won't buy from them anymore

Sugar Bytes = 9 dollars shame on them

Cableguys: Free but become NFR, shame on them

Native Instrument: Free and no NFR Respect!
Waldorf: Free and no NFR Respect!
Ableton: Free and no NFR Respect!
XLN Audio: Free and no NFR Respect!

db3 wrote:
AhmedTaburov wrote:What about Waves?
What is their policy?

Thanks.
Found on Waves Answer Base: How do I transfer ownership of my Waves?
Here are the steps for a transfer of ownership. Each license being transferred will need to be covered under the Waves Update Plan.

First make sure your license has been updated to version 9.x in your Waves Account.If your version 9.x license has been authorized, please move the license back up to the cloud from within the Waves License Center.
Please send me an e-mail to matt@waves.com with the following information (we will confirm all previous iLok authorizations are removed):

Waves Login (where the license is registered): ______________
Waves Password (where the license is registered): _____________
Waves Login (where the license needs to be moved): ______________
Waves Serial Number/s being transferred: ________________

There is a $150 transfer fee for products $700 normal list price or higher. This transfer fee will cover as many licenses as you need to transfer at one time. Upon receiving your e-mail I will confirm the following steps are complete and then e-mail you a credit card authorization form to complete this transfer payment (or it can be done via PayPal).

Once this payment is finished I will complete the transfer. The Waves Update Plan end date will be transferred to the new owner as well.

It doesn't say how much the transfer fee is for individual plugins that cost less than $700. Is that free then?

BlackImpact wrote:It doesn't say how much the transfer fee is for individual plugins that cost less than $700. Is that free then?
yep, free - fast too in my experience.

also, as per Matt Bottcher @ waves Dec 2016:
We skip steps 4 – 6 below for the Gold bundle even though its over the $700 limit.
Here are the steps for transferring a license from one account to another. Each license being transferred will need to be covered under the Waves Update Plan.

1) First make sure your license has been updated to version 9.x in your Waves Account.

2) If your version 9.x license has been authorized, please move the license back up to the cloud from within the Waves Central Application.

3) Please send an e-mail to matt@waves.com<mailto:matt@waves.com> (from the registered e-mail address) with the following information:

Waves Login (where the license is registered): ______________
Waves Login (where the license needs to be moved): ______________
Waves Serial Number/s being transferred: ________________

4) There is a $150 transfer fee for products $700 normal list price or higher. This transfer fee will cover as many licenses as you need to transfer at one time. There is not a transfer fee for products under $700 normal list price.

5) Upon receiving your e-mail we will confirm the following steps are complete and then e-mail you a credit card authorization form to complete this transfer payment (or it can be done via PayPal).

6) Once this payment is finished we will complete the transfer. The Waves Update Plan end date will be transferred to the new owner as well.

Guys, can we go a little bit deeper into this topic, please?
Also It would be nice to have a company owner here to listen to his standpoint.

Are we sure that there isn't a good practice for this topic and that it's an arbitrary option?

I found this for instance.

Does anyone know what the license transfer policy for Boz Digital Labs is?
I sent a support request asking about this over a week ago and have had no reply.
I'm planning on selling T-Bone.

Lazylefteye wrote:Does anyone know what the license transfer policy for Boz Digital Labs is?
I sent a support request asking about this over a week ago and have had no reply.
I'm planning on selling T-Bone.
Here is an answer in this Facebook page:
  • Nebojša Lešević Is there a catch, what is your license transfer policy, is this NFR?
    • 1 · September 14, 2016 at 4:29pm
      • Boz Digital Labs The catch is that you are buying it before it's been released into the wild. So you won't see magazine reviews or anything like that. You're going purely off my word. Which is why it's such a big discount.
        I always do a launch sale as well, and will do so for this one as well, but it won't be as low as the pre-order price.
        It's not NFR. It's a standard license. Officially, our policy is that license transfers are not available, but I do them on a case by case basis, with a $15 license transfer fee.
        • 3 · September 14, 2016 at 4:45pm
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Thanks for your help, BlackWinny. Much appreciated :)

If you're living in the EU, or making biz with a EU company, all these restrictions have no validity, terms can be safely ignored. I wonder a bit why so many customers are willing to accept any restriction on how to use and resell their own property (the license to unlimited usage is their own property and no more in the possession of the party that sold the license! I guess it's very similar in the US too!).
Consequences

This decision does not mean only that software developers cannot prevent second hand sales of their software by their European licensees. It means software licence agreements and all their terms and conditions (not just the one prohibiting transfer) can be ignored by European courts if the licence period is indefinite, and probably even if it is tied to the lengthy period of copyright ­­­in Europe - 70 years after death of last surviving programmer. Such a licence will be regarded as a simple sale and sales of personal property cannot be tagged with conditions on how the property can be used.

This means, for example, that if a licence for software to be downloaded has an indefinite or long period then the usual restrictions or obligations placed on a licensee as a condition for granting the licence such as number of servers, server location, confidentiality, security, field of use, termination for breach will all be unenforceable.
Quoted from from here: http://www.lexology.com/library/detail. ... 8afd8b3380

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120 ... cant.shtml

In my humble, layman opinion, this also severely questions the practise of license transfer fee pay-walls. Especially when specifically sized to prevent the customer to resell.

An important exception is renting/subscription based licensing. These type of licenses don't affect property. Think about it next time you compare the costs of subscription vs classic models! ;)

@mementus: Just saw you posted the same link already. Indeed it is worth being discussed.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”