Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Why not setup a new thread for the Windows debate?

BassMasterK wrote:I pointed out to you like 10 pages ago that your Netmarketshare stats were completely wrong. Win 7 has a larger user base than Win 8 and 10 combined. Heck, it has almost more users than ALL other OS's combined. Win 7 is being supported for and least 3 more years, I'm not why you insist on making it sound like it is obsolete next month.
It's so high because large business networks using custom made software don't need constant updates and compatibility drivers. The average PC isn't at home, it's a closed network system connected to a mainframe. We had Windows XP until a year or so ago which actually worked better than the current Windows 7 we use now.

If you look at something like the Steam survey, which is basically home users, you'll find windows 10 wins outright.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Why not setup a new thread for the Windows debate?
Agreed. though probably easier to start a new halion thread.

wickfut wrote:
BassMasterK wrote:I pointed out to you like 10 pages ago that your Netmarketshare stats were completely wrong. Win 7 has a larger user base than Win 8 and 10 combined. Heck, it has almost more users than ALL other OS's combined. Win 7 is being supported for and least 3 more years, I'm not why you insist on making it sound like it is obsolete next month.
It's so high because large business networks using custom made software don't need constant updates and compatibility drivers. The average PC isn't at home, it's a closed network system connected to a mainframe. We had Windows XP until a year or so ago which actually worked better than the current Windows 7 we use now.

If you look at something like the Steam survey, which is basically home users, you'll find windows 10 wins outright.

I appreciate what you are saying but you also have to take into consideration STEAM is looking at the gamer market which is not an statistically unbiased userbase.

As someone else pointed out, this is starting to turn into a windows conversation more than a Halion 6 one although if Steiney threw the same OS support for Win7 as they did with the recent Cubase 9 launch then this wouldn't have been a conversation point.

A couple pages back someone said they got a message from SB support saying they were going to support Win7 because of the large outcry from their user base. That is all I really care about. Still waiting for them to post it on their forum officially.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

BassMasterK wrote: A couple pages back someone said they got a message from SB support saying they were going to support Win7 because of the large outcry from their user base.
I actually witnessed the situation outside of Steinberg's HQ in Hamburg. It was horrible, to say the least.

But, seriously, "large outcry of the community", really? :? See, i don't have an issue with realizing that some Windows 7 users are pissed off, but why always such exaggeration?

BassMasterK wrote:I appreciate what you are saying but you also have to take into consideration STEAM is looking at the gamer market which is not an statistically unbiased userbase.
and people are pointing to windows 7 having this large market share, which is true only when you take into account large business networks who don't need to upgrade. Statistical bias works both ways.

Halion 6 doesn't work with windows 7 or 32 bit. Don't feel like changing to windows 10 64, then stick with Halion 5. I didn't want to change from my PCI Powercore cards either but was forced to. Shit happens.

You nerds realize you're arguing about software synths, right? As opposed to the paint job on the ceiling of the Sistine chapel?

This stuff is inherently ephemeral. If you want eternal beauty, go buy a Stradivarius and hang it on your wall.

Oh who am I kidding... Somebody should just start a separate thread dedicated to the sound design possibilities in Halion 6, this one is beyond rescue.
Makin' Music Great Again 8)

chk071 wrote:
BassMasterK wrote: A couple pages back someone said they got a message from SB support saying they were going to support Win7 because of the large outcry from their user base.
I actually witnessed the situation outside of Steinberg's HQ in Hamburg. It was horrible, to say the least.

But, seriously, "large outcry of the community", really? :? See, i don't have an issue with realizing that some Windows 7 users are pissed off, but why always such exaggeration?
Their words, not mine buddy. You have a problem with it then take it up with Steinberg.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Same BS, different forum. :lol:

Anyway, if i was SB, i'd still support Windows 7 too. Can still cut support in 2 years, when Cubase 10, or Halion 7 comes out, and most people will use Win 10 anyway.

I've been messing about trying to get just a few pieces of 1 or 2 very short wave forms to act as a wavetable. So here are two sine waves with different partials emphasized then, I run the spacial on them in a vary narrow band. By moving that narrow band I can get some formants going, or in this case I use an LFO on the cutoff and res to bring out various overtones in a bouncey kind of way. Also just messing with reverse reverb at the end. Not as pro as or musical as a Simon video, but just done to share more about Wavetable capabilities in H6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjyrCQnhyEU
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

aMUSEd wrote:
c_voltage wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
LoopyFruit wrote:Has anyone got their legacy Halion licences back yet?

Thanks.
Still not yet, I only know of one or two that have.
Sorry, whether there is a info, through this "new" H5 licenses can be open Hypersonic ?
It's what was stated by one of their forum reps that I quoted a few pages back in this thread. But it would be nice to have confirmation. The H5/Halionsonic license always used to also license Hypersonic, in fact that was the incentive Steinberg used to get those of us wedded to Hypersonic to crossgrade to Halionsonic as it was inferior in most respects (and tbh I mainly used that just to get a cheap way to Halion 5).
i didnt want upgrade but i took the cold water and upgraded now last week too . contacted support via the mysteinberg support page and said that i needs the HALion 5 Add-On license for supporting older projects which use Halionsonic 2 ,Halion 3 , Halion 5 on the same day i upgraded . the next day they came back and have send the HALion 5 Add-On license to me .

and now Hypersonic 2 etc are working again for me . basically i didnt wanted answere here within this thread anymore , as it gots completly ruined with this KVR nonsense pic posting and OS discussion .

DrumAddict wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
c_voltage wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:

Thanks.
Sorry, whether there is a info, through this "new" H5 licenses can be open Hypersonic ?
It's what was stated by one of their forum reps that I quoted a few pages back in this thread. But it would be nice to have confirmation. The H5/Halionsonic license always used to also license Hypersonic, in fact that was the incentive Steinberg used to get those of us wedded to Hypersonic to crossgrade to Halionsonic as it was inferior in most respects (and tbh I mainly used that just to get a cheap way to Halion 5).
i didnt want upgrade but i took the cold water and upgraded now last week too . contacted support via the mysteinberg support page and said that i needs the HALion 5 Add-On license for supporting older projects which use Halionsonic 2 ,Halion 3 , Halion 5 on the same day i upgraded . the next day they came back and have send the HALion 5 Add-On license to me .

and now Hypersonic 2 etc are working again for me . basically i didnt wanted answere here within this thread anymore , as it gots completly ruined with this KVR nonsense pic posting and OS discussion .
Thanks for info, well, sounds good then. (can upgrade :lol: )

Well, the only thing, frankly to say, i'm still not sure - which type of H6 license will better - through usual e-licenser (as H5), or via new software method ? Who what choosed ? Or - anyone choosed old hardware method for H6? Or all chose mainly software method ? :lol:

DrumAddict wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
c_voltage wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:

Thanks.

Fab I hope I hear something today - been 11 days now since my first support request.

c_voltage wrote: Well, the only thing, frankly to say, i'm still not sure - which type of H6 license will better - through usual e-licenser (as H5), or via new software method ? Who what choosed ? Or - anyone choosed old hardware method for H6? Or all chose mainly software method ? :lol:
I went for the eLicenser key method. I simply don't trust soft eLicenser. HDs fail, OS's fail, and if you have some issue that forces you to reinstall the OS from scratch before unauthorizing it, you will have a hard time. With the USB key, you can reinstall anytime, and use it anywhere. You simply have to unplug the key and plug it where you want to use it.

Both HALion 6 and HALion 5 licenses can reside on the same key without problems.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
c_voltage wrote: Well, the only thing, frankly to say, i'm still not sure - which type of H6 license will better - through usual e-licenser (as H5), or via new software method ? Who what choosed ? Or - anyone choosed old hardware method for H6? Or all chose mainly software method ? :lol:
I went for the eLicenser key method. I simply don't trust soft eLicenser. HDs fail, OS's fail, and if you have some issue that forces you to reinstall the OS from scratch before unauthorizing it, you will have a hard time. With the USB key, you can reinstall anytime, and use it anywhere. You simply have to unplug the key and plug it where you want to use it.

Both HALion 6 and HALion 5 licenses can reside on the same key without problems.
Heh, ok, got it. Btw what if elicenser die? It will not a less ehadache ? )

Return to “Instruments”