Waldorf software - new licensing system

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:
chk071 wrote:If Steinberg dies, eLicenser dies, so you won't be able to sync your licenses anymore (or activate it again)
Steinberg may die, but the elicencer will survive for some time beyond that.

As the licences are hardcoded on usb flash memory, they will not need to be activated again.
Maybe. But still, tomorrow a Windows, or MacOS update could come, which breaks compabitility with all eLicenser software, and there would be no way around it. I don't quite understand that angst. Especially with the extremely low amount of companies getting out of business.

egbert101 wrote:
chk071 wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:For me, the only (but huge) reason which refrains me to use plugins having a C/R protection is the question "What happens if the company suddenly disappears?"
I read this so often now, and still don't get it. What's the difference to dongle protected software, or serial protected one? If Steinberg dies, eLicenser dies, so you won't be able to sync your licenses anymore (or activate it again, so, same situation as with C/R). If a company which uses serial protection dies, they won't be able to provide you with a serial anymore, in case you forgot, and lost it. Not to talk about lack of updates, which could lead to newer versions of the used OS not being supported anymore. I don't get this point. It seems like a fly in the ointment kind of thing.

What if Microsoft or Apple die. Then we're all doomed. :party:
Serial protection means you can transfer your license to any PC. C/R restricts your ability to transfer and relies on the company's website/servers. I am for serial protection but against C/R for that very reason. The customer should not have to be restricted or suffer simply because they chose to pay for a product.
Again, if something breaks compatibility with the software whose company went out of business, there is noone who provides a fix.

Just wondering, but how many products do you own, which suffered from the situation you described? If it's mainly a could have would have kind of thing, i'm not sure if it's really worth bothering, or playing mind games at all. Just saying.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Numanoid wrote:So Arturia abandoned Steinberg eLicenser, and now Waldorf is doing the same.

Except XILS which other third party devs are still using that copy protection system?
VirSyn

ew
A spectral heretic...

chk071 wrote:...
Again, if something breaks compatibility with the software whose company went out of business, there is noone who provides a fix.

Just wondering, but how many products do you own, which suffered from the situation you described? If it's mainly a could have would have kind of thing, i'm not sure if it's really worth bothering, or playing mind games at all. Just saying...

Only speaking for myself here, but I can think of a few software programs I have sitting in a drawer that are no longer functional.

Logic for pc - when it went to Mac only; Seer Systens Reality - those two were fairly expensive - between 3 and 4 hundred dollars.
One less expensive one was Antares Filter.

There are more, but I'd have to dig through a drawer to remember them.

Nice they did this but they really messed up the launch of it.
That's waldorf for you.

Krakatau wrote:XILS let choose between Ilok and e-Licenser AFAIK ?
yes.

egbert101 wrote:
chk071 wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:For me, the only (but huge) reason which refrains me to use plugins having a C/R protection is the question "What happens if the company suddenly disappears?"
I read this so often now, and still don't get it. What's the difference to dongle protected software, or serial protected one? If Steinberg dies, eLicenser dies, so you won't be able to sync your licenses anymore (or activate it again, so, same situation as with C/R). If a company which uses serial protection dies, they won't be able to provide you with a serial anymore, in case you forgot, and lost it. Not to talk about lack of updates, which could lead to newer versions of the used OS not being supported anymore. I don't get this point. It seems like a fly in the ointment kind of thing.

What if Microsoft or Apple die. Then we're all doomed. :party:
Serial protection (or authentification file) means you can transfer your license to any PC. C/R restricts your ability to transfer and relies on the company's website/servers. I am for serial protection but against C/R for that very reason. The customer should not have to be restricted or suffer simply because they chose to pay for a product.

There is a workaround for C/R:

- after activating save the registry key

- then when newly installing add the saved registry key to register

- et voila, installed and activated!

(doesn't work for all software, but I've used it succesfully for a number of plugs)

Nielzie wrote:
electro wrote:Is this some kind of C/R?
It probably is and would really surprise me if it wasn't.
No, the new Waldorf protection is NOT a C/R protection. It is a simple serial number protection like it was already implemented in Waldorf Edition 2.

The C/R discussion seemed to be started by guesses of some KVR members here. Due to that this discussion about C/R here seems to be quite pointless.

Official informations by Waldorf should follow soon.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Thats good.
Waldorf Edition 2 is a smooth install.

I already wondered, why it was so easy when it came out...:-)

Ingonator wrote:No, the new Waldorf protection is NOT a C/R protection. It is a simple serial number protection like it was already implemented in Waldorf Edition 2.

The C/R discussion seemed to be started by guesses of some KVR members here. Due to that this discussion about C/R here seems to be quite pointless.

Official informations by Waldorf should follow soon.
So in that case, it is an excellent evolution.

Thanks for this information, Ingo.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

It says up to 3 computers.
What happens if reinstalling the OS, or changing the computer? Is there a way to deactivate the license on one computer and activate it on another new one? Or is it 3 times activations and that's it (like Focusrite software)?

ew wrote:
Numanoid wrote:So Arturia abandoned Steinberg eLicenser, and now Waldorf is doing the same.

Except XILS which other third party devs are still using that copy protection system?
VirSyn

ew
vengeance FX...

Do anyone know anything about their policy concerning licence transfers now that they've changed their protection system please ? I'm thinking about selling my Nave licence.

I've contacted the support and am waiting for their answer, but I could already propose my copy for sale (unless your copy becomes NFR, your wife changes sex, your child becomes a poodle and every song you makes becomes progressive rockabilly) if I can get the informations from somebody who has already transfered a Waldorf licence recently...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I also wrote them to ask a question about the new system one week ago, no answer.
dedication to flying

Return to “Instruments”