Synthmaster 3 wish list

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote:
However, professional preset designers, and more serious enthusiasts will. In the case of Synthmaster One or Sylenth1, then two layers are ideal, since otherwise you're limited to only two proper oscillators. However Synthmaster One is limited to one layer, and as far as I'm aware, has no plans for more than one. The same applies to Hive.

Here is at least one example for which two layers are ideal: Percussive sounds. So that one layer concentrates on the 'attack' portion, while the other provides the body of the sound.

Eight layers may seem excessive, but it provides for extremely interesting rhythmic possibilities, such as complex sequences, arpeggios or full drum loops, or evolving drones. Other possibilities are additive synthesis, which is basically what layering is. This is especially useful for organ sounds.
There are so many synths with layers already, and I didn't see any useful presets so far when all of them are used. And even if there are some, people just listen such presets and then just skip and forget. These days nobody much cares to make drum sequences using conventional synths. Most have a drum synths or drum samplers.

Interesting, considering all the abilities the current softsynths offer right now, the music these days is way more boring and dull than it was just two or even one decade ago.
Last edited by Igro on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igro wrote:
egbert101 wrote:
However, professional preset designers, and more serious enthusiasts will. In the case of Synthmaster One or Sylenth1, then two layers are ideal, since otherwise you're limited to only two proper oscillators. However Synthmaster One is limited to one layer, and as far as I'm aware, has no plans for more than one. The same applies to Hive.

Here is at least one example for which two layers are ideal: Percussive sounds. So that one layer concentrates on the 'attack' portion, while the other provides the body of the sound.

Eight layers may seem excessive, but it provides for extremely interesting rhythmic possibilities, such as complex sequences, arpeggios or full drum loops, or evolving drones. Other possibilities are additive synthesis, which is basically what layering is. This is especially useful for organ sounds.
There are so many synths with layers already, and I didn't see any useful presets so far when all of them are used. And even if there are some, people just listen such presets and then just skip and forget. These days nobody much cares to make drum sequences using conventional synths. Most have a drum synths or drum samplers.
That really is no reason to drop such a nice feature in a synth...

exmatproton wrote:
Igro wrote:
egbert101 wrote:

Of course no! I don't get this proposal (from the OP) too. Let it be there, as it doesn't hurt. But two fully fledged oscillators are not enough in my opinion. I know there are actually more oscillators in a single layer, but they are different (with the different workflow). Bullent couldn't add another easily, because for that the modular window should be rearranged too.

Igro wrote:
exmatproton wrote:
Igro wrote:
egbert101 wrote:

Of course no! I don't get this proposal (from the OP) too. Let it be there, as it doesn't hurt. But two fully fledged oscillators are not enough in my opinion. I know there are actually more oscillators in a single layer, but they are different (with the different workflow). Bullent couldn't add another easily, because for that the modular window should be rearranged too.
:tu:

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Number one wish:

Capability for filter cutoff modulation with a mod oscillator.

Igro wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:4 layers/one oscillator each.
This must be a joke? Why i need to jump through the layers to just get another oscillator and setup things (even with copying). What's the point here? People like talking about layers, but in real life nobody uses them much. If one layer had 4 oscillators, then you already could create all the wicked stuff (considering all the modulation options in SM2.8). If you cannot achieve this, then you must be doing something very wrong. Unless you are trying to create an entire song in just one syhth. So far there are no many presets in SM2.8 using both layers. And if they are there, nobody cares to use them in real production.

You missed the rest of the post...
Dasheesh wrote:No reason to have mulitple oscillators if you are going the layer approach (<this is what confuses new users).

... and I kind of like the idea of having an entire engine dedicated to each oscillator. So no, I like the idea of 1 oscillator/four layers, but that's my opinion. With today's super saw dance sounds each oscillator is 16 oscillators thick anyway.

-Ability to set oscillator start phase when any oscillator algorithm is active (currently the phase can only be set in the spectrum algos)
-Don't use the same knob for wavetable scanning and algo parameter 1 as is done is SM One (pretty strange design decision IMO)
-Dedicated vibrato section like SM One
-Make all coarse tune knobs increment in exact semitones when tweaked with the mouse!!! Having to use the mouse wheel to do this is pretty silly
-Ditch the waveshaper in favor of a selection of distortion algorithms, or provide some presets for the waveshaper in a drop-down menu
-Better way to visualize the routing of the mod oscillators
-Ability to assign partial oscillators below the fundamental in additive mode
-Standardize the prefixes in the presets (BAS/BS/BA, etc.) because it bothers me :P

Please Keep the low cpu usge while many feaures added.
I like synthmaster, and it became my goto synth because it sounds good, but cpu hit is quiet low.

I've been thinking a lot about what I would like to see in a future top shelf soft synth. I tell what I want to see and what would make sense but the edm kids won't like it. You can include all custom top shelf algo's and include everything you want to make it a true "synthmaster" including AMing filter cut off at extremes if you make it a single layer, single oscillator, with single filter module (with all available feature sets and algorithms). The idea being you take this engine and layer it how ever you want to, to create however many voices you want in your DAW. It would also have the added benefit of killing the preset players. If it sounds good and it's powerful the guys who know will use it and the EDM kids will follow.

dmbaer wrote:Number one wish:

Capability for filter cutoff modulation with a mod oscillator.
I am gonna introduce that for the new zero delay feedback filters!
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Greenstorm33 wrote:-Ability to set oscillator start phase when any oscillator algorithm is active (currently
will fix that asap
Greenstorm33 wrote: -Don't use the same knob for wavetable scanning and algo parameter 1 as is done is SM One (pretty strange
design decision IMO)
I guess there's a visual bug there. wave index, tone and phase parameters are all separate parameters.
Greenstorm33 wrote: -Make all coarse tune knobs increment in exact semitones when tweaked with the mouse!!! Having to use the mouse wheel to do this is pretty silly
That's already how it is in v2.8.7, coarse tune parameters are "quantized"
Greenstorm33 wrote: -Ditch the waveshaper in favor of a selection of distortion algorithms, or provide some presets for the waveshaper in a drop-down menu
will do! I actually started collecting many stomp box effect units, and also a Kemper Profiler.
Greenstorm33 wrote: -Better way to visualize the routing of the mod oscillators
oh yes totally agreed. right now the synth can do many DX7 algorithms but users are "unaware". i need to create some template presets and also write a better "routing view"
Works at KV331 Audio

egbert101 wrote: I would, however, like to see more complex FM, with more operators, or at least a way to create more complex DX7 type sounds.
Many of the DX7 algos can be created with SynthMaster :wink:

it's the GUI that's makes it hard for the users to see who's modulating who :)
Works at KV331 Audio

A small detail which always bugs me in SM2.8, the "patch name" window always shows the PRESET settings (I assume) for engine quality and skin. It seems more practical for it to show the CURRENT GLOBAL settings, cos that's what I usually want to check quickly if the CPU seems to be struggling, or whatever. It makes no sense for the visible info to indicate "Draft" quality when the engine is actually set to "Best".
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, I haven't read the manual yet, but if I've sussed this correctly could we please change this behaviour? Tx :tu:

Return to “Instruments”