what's the best roland tape echo emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lmk..thanks! looking for non UAD option

u-He Satin does a pretty mean tape echo. I'd be surprised if it couldn't get close. Doesn't have the reverb, though.

Outer Verb emulates the spring section of a Space Echo and the delay section is coming in a future addition.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=477452

Sound Toys Echo Boy and the Jr. version both emulate the Space Echo delay but no spring.

Other than that, you've got the GSI space echo that is 32 but only and the UAD version.

Valhalla is working on a delay plugin that will likely touch upon some of the non-spring aspects of the Roland Echo boxes, but that won't be out until later this year.

the best I've found is "Magnetic", but you have to be an Ableton live user. It's one of two devices contained in the "dub machines" live pack from Surreal Machines. It's a complete RE-201 emulation (+more), including the spring verb. it sounds fantastic!

Magnetic

i dont have ableton

I was going to say that the up-coming plugin from AudioThing is going to be the best (and probably will be whatever), but I've just noticed that GSi have updated their venerable GS-201 Tape Echo plugin to 64 bit. For €19 it still is one of the best!
A bit fried in the higher freqs

@ ddeez

soon you won't need Ableton:
http://www.surrealmachines.com/products/
coming soon

dave

cprompt wrote:I was going to say that the up-coming plugin from AudioThing is going to be the best (and probably will be whatever), but I've just noticed that GSi have updated their venerable GS-201 Tape Echo plugin to 64 bit. For €19 it still is one of the best!
Yeah when I saw that in the news section here at KVR I did a double take, I honestly never thought I'd see the day

Fingers crossed some other ones get recompiled as 64bit, as with the GS-201 I've found the spring reverb unit to be one of the best and most versatile 'alternative' reverbs out there. Hell even the super cheesy Miles'tone makes me smile with joy every time I muck around with it - Just feels so playable !
Last edited by mcbpete on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcbpete wrote:
cprompt wrote:I was going to say that the up-coming plugin from AudioThing is going to be the best (and probably will be whatever), but I've just noticed that GSi have updated their venerable GS-201 Tape Echo plugin to 64 bit. For €19 it still is one of the best!
Yeah when I saw that in the news section here at KVR I did a double take, I honestly never thought I'd see the day

Fingers crossed some other ones get recompiled as 64bit, as with the GS-201 I've found the spring reverb unit to be one of the best and most versatile spring reverbs out there. Hell even the super cheesy Miles'tone makes me smile with joy every time I muck around with it - Just feels so playable !
Shame there is no 64bit version for Mac :(

+1 for GS-201. Just installed the new 64bit version. I've missed having this since going 64bit.
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/default.asp
Lets hope they upgrade their other plugins too. :party:

mholloway wrote:the best I've found is "Magnetic", but you have to be an Ableton live user. It's one of two devices contained in the "dub machines" live pack from Surreal Machines. It's a complete RE-201 emulation (+more), including the spring verb. it sounds fantastic!

Agree, the best currently, ncie to know it is going to be released as a normal plug in.
dedication to flying

I have to say that OuterSpace from AudioThing will be the best roland tape echo emulation. I currently beta test the plugin and it sounds awesome. I own Satin and GS-201 for years - Satin is dope but no accurate emulation. GS-201 was dope but sounds outdated compared to Outerspace and Satin. However OuterSpace will not disappoint you - grab it while before the price rise ...
https://www.audiothing.net/effects/outer-verb/
rabbit in a hole

It uses impulse responses though, I would prefer a proper modelled emulation.

aMUSEd wrote:It uses impulse responses though, I would prefer a proper modelled emulation.
I think you saying correlates to OuterSpace, or? As far as I know the impulse responses are used for the reverb not for the delay. That's fair and save some cpu
rabbit in a hole

Return to “Effects”