Air DB33 - best Hammond organ emu at the moment?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
B-5 Organ B4 DB-33 VB3

I have the Acoustic Samples since they released it. :)

I don't think that it's significantly better than VB3, but works on Mac 64-bit, so this closes the discussion to me :)

VB3 for Mac is 32 bit (and likely to stay there), but using Sound Radix' 32 Lives, it runs just fine in Logic X. Not in DP, though, for some obscure reason – never did, not even in 32 bit DP.

I didn't like Air DB33 very much – the basic tone is OK, I guess, but the OD and Leslie are below par, IMO. The B-5 is my current choice and the dev is a very ambitious and responsive guy.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Didn't like the DB33 at all, the Logic EVB3/Vintage Organ is still my favourite by far but for a more modern take on the organ Revival is outstanding.

Krakatau wrote:what about the arturia's one ?

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... v/overview
I like the Vox and Farfisa, the B3 seems too restrained to me (much like their EPs)

http://vstbuzz.com/deals/50-off-b-5-org ... c-samples/

I don't know. It's new!

&, since E.D. gwyne do the same bit as years ago, let me. I remain underwhelmed by (the whole idea of) VB3.
Its distortion is horrible. :)
I donno. I'm probably less sensitive in the highs than I was in like '09, maybe I'll appreciate it more now. ;)

I kid. Actually I like the idea of VB3 a lot, at that time I was not overwhelmed by the sound. It's the most detailed interface for an organ I have seen.
I pushed whatever it was in Vintage Organs kind of hard last time I did anything of the sort, and I still get off on that bit in that track.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

VB3, while 64-bit just refuses to work on my machine since upgrading to Windows 10. Not sure if it's the OS or some other crazy interaction, but it's very crashy.

That said, I picked up Acoustic Samples B5 during the winter sale and like it way better anyway. I also have the Arturia version but haven't fired it up since getting the B5. My one complaint with the B5 is sometimes the Leslie feels a little weak (or lacking "woosh") but I've got external Leslie's which can cover that, particularly PSP's L'Rotary. It sounds like Acoustic Samples is working on a big update to improve the Leslie and greatly expand the controller mappings, so I'm looking very forward to that.

Right now the B5 is 50% off, meaning 50 euros. For 8 days and ~19 hrs. I only even know about it because of an ad on Facebook.

jancivil wrote:Right now the B5 is 50% off, meaning 50 euros. For 8 days and ~19 hrs. I only even know about it because of an ad on Facebook.
Their Wulie is fantastic too. Can't speak for the rest, but those two are top notch!

jancivil wrote:Its distortion is horrible. :)
Errr, no, it's really warm and chunky. MUCH better than the distortion in B4-II or DB33, which really IS horrible...

aMUSEd wrote:Didn't like the DB33 at all, the Logic EVB3/Vintage Organ is still my favourite by far but for a more modern take on the organ Revival is outstanding.
I like DB33, as long as you turn the overdrive off. That said, I agree about Revival. I'm personally not interested in sample based organ instruments for the most part. I buy them if they're off the beaten path, like the things that Rhythmic Robot does. I wanted to like the Arturia models, but I don't, in part, because like with DB33, I don't like their distortion, or, for that matter, most of the effects, the noise is way too authentic. It's like they modeled the shittiest possible foot pedal setup and said "yeah, that sounds like a 70s setup, that's what people want!"
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It's like the modeled the shittiest possible foot pedal setup and said "yeah, that sounds like a 70s setup, that's what people want!"
funny... true. I remember trying very hard to get rid of a lot of noisy things from the 70's that many devs try to re-emulate. Not sure that is a good thing in many cases, but some let it be turned down or off.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

EvilDragon wrote:
jancivil wrote:Its distortion is horrible. :)
Errr, no, it's really warm and chunky. MUCH better than the distortion in B4-II or DB33, which really IS horrible...
:lol:
The whole reason I'm needling you is the way you state that like it's a fact.

I spent an hour if not two last night with the VB3. I really want to like it, because of first of all its seriously light footprint (vs. Vintage Organs, a 1.37GB download), and then its detail.
But, I feel the same way I have before. I don't like its sound. It has a metallic aspect that gets old real fast for me. Warm? To me it's cold. The key click is just annoying. And the 'tube distortion' doesn't work for me. "Horrible" was yours, I'm just fugging with you. I don't think the modeling of it is there. (OTOH, I really go for his Mr Ray and GS-201 tape echo, the latter I think is perfect.)

So that's my opinion of it. Yours doesn't move me, that's how it goes in the world of sound. :shrug:

I don't buy Pianoteq either. Oh, well. :)

Return to “Instruments”