Which MIDI Keyboard would you recommend

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the market for a new MIDI keyboard controller, 49 keys with aftertouch, drum pads, knobs and sliders.

Looking at these 4:

M-Audio Code 49 - http://m-audio.com/products/view/code-49
Akai MPK249 - http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpk-249
Roland A-500PRO - https://www.roland.com/global/products/a-500pro/
Novation Impulse - https://uk.novationmusic.com/keys/impulse#

Which one would you recommend?

I had the Akai MPK-61 (not the 261) and the velocity response was terrible for acoustic instruments. One of the sliders started to die towards the end and the pads required modding to be usable, but were good afterwards. Not a fan...

Roland has better keybeds, but the one on my System-8 still isn't great in regards to velocity scaling (better than the AKai though). I'd be surprised it the A-500 was better than that. The Roland pitch trigger is cool, but that same system is terrible as a modwheel, so that's another strike against it.

I'd generally stay away from M-Audio stuff.

Meanwhile, my Novation RemoteZeroSL still works great a decade+ later. That little box has no keys, so I can't comment on the keybed quality or velocity scaling, but of the 4, I'd probably go with that one based on my own past experiences with different products from the different companies involved.

So my vote: Novation.

My advice: be careful opening it from the packaging (don't throw the packaging out), try it out on a piano type sound, and if you can play comfortably without triggering the max velocity, move onto checking out the other features. If everything works to your liking, keep it. If not, return it immediately and try something else. Make sure you buy from a retailer who won't charge you a restocking fee.

I'd also go for the Novation. Or for the Roland.

Korg Taktile isn't bad either - just to name something not mentioned :wink:

I'm searching for a decent midi keyboard myself, tried both the Impulse and Taktile and didn't like the feel of both - Impulse felt flimsy and the keybed on the Korg felt cheap in comparison to the Impulse.

Currently aiming for the MPK249, the price is the only issue so far :P

I am happy with my Novation SL but if I was buying now, this one no question: http://vaxmidi.com
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I hope the encoders on the Code 49 are not the same as on the Axiom 2nd gen. Those got jumpy pretty much after i turned them very few times... i wasn't too impressed by the keys of the Axiom either, they were pretty stiff, and hard to press. I prefer the rather synth action like keys on the Impulse. A bit on the "cheap" side in terms of general build quality IMO, but, it's ok.

Happy Novation Remote SL user here ...

I got my M-Audio Oxygen 49 about 4 years ago as my first midi keyboard, thinking I would upgrade it when I became more advanced. That upgrade never happened, because I still use it today. It has such an incredibly simple interface, but the amount of things you can do with that keyboard is mind-blowing. It's also pretty damn affordable for the long life of it. I don't have drum pads on mine since its a bit older but the new model does have drum pads so you're good there. I would definitely check it out. :)
Waiting For Orion

My first keyboard was a Oxygen 25 mk2. It was really nice, and i used it a long time. Actually, i do miss the knobs, never really got warm with endless encoders, and the rotary knobs really worked fine... of course, the keyboard is pretty much synth action, and nothing a piano player would want to play on, i guess, but, as a mere synth player, i wouldn't even mind that.

The Roland A500 is great, but the software for it can be a pain. I use mine to plug into an iPad and I have to turn off the advanced USB function for it to work. Also, it will not talk to my Windows 10 computer for reasons I can't figure out, so I have to edit it on my work computer (Windows 8 ). So, great feel, nice control options, but typical Roland crappy software. It might be easier if you are using it with a PC directly (it has many templates for the most common DAWs).

Novation Impulse is nowhere close to Novation SL regarding keyboard action. You can't extrapolate experience of high-end SL on budget-minded Impulse - it's a different keybed, produced by different company (Fatar for SL).

Being in similar spot I've chosen Roland, as it seems to be the only one that doesn't seem like a toy. It is quality controller all around and routinely picked as the one with the best keybed along with Novation SL which is much more expensive (and has lesser quality for knobs and sliders). Cool thing about it is that you have splits and layers and can connect expression pedal (which is super rare).

I would also definitely consider Korg Taktile, but I needed 61 keys and Korg doesn't offer that. Although the only thing I like more about Korg is that it seems to have better, more up to date software and cool complimentary freebies.

Really hope Novation won't discontinue their SL line. One day, i want such a keyboard too. ;)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”