Air DB33 - best Hammond organ emu at the moment?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
B-5 Organ B4 DB-33 VB3

Northwood Mediaworks wrote:I can get the arguments either way if you are playing it solo, but once you drop any of these into a mix, its going to get a lot harder to tell them apart.
Well, what I was doing with VB3 (which wasn't quite my original idea of course) last nite ended up with some seriously harmonically rich, beefy sounds (synths). I want a Hammond to kind of give me Jon Lord if you get my drift. I've liked the Hammond in 57 Drawbar Organ and then Vintage Organs in a mix. I'll end up installing one of these on this machine and replacing VB3 to see how that goes. I haven't yet had a lot of use for the thing with nothing else going on. That being said, I was dealing with VB3 by itself for a while, setting up host automation and checking out this that and the other thing. If E.D. loves that keyclick and that "Tube distortion", that's great.

I wondered if my ears were very different than 2011, here not so much. I hope I don't have to buy something! I was looking at that Acoustic Samples 49.99 euros, which is like 54 bucks today.

ghettosynth wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Didn't like the DB33 at all, the Logic EVB3/Vintage Organ is still my favourite by far but for a more modern take on the organ Revival is outstanding.
I'm personally not interested in sample based organ instruments for the most part
I'm normally not either but the Acoustic Samples B5 is fantastic and takes a different approach to any other sampled organs. The tonewheels and vibrato/chorus settings are sampled and all phase aligned, whereas the foldback, keyclick, percussion and leslie are modeled. There's also a ton of tweaks that can really extend the range of sounds. To my ear, it sounds more realistic than VB3.

I've been wanting to pair it up with the VB3 leslie to do some comparisons, but VB3 has been highly unstable here and will crash after a few seconds. Now that Guido has released an update to the GS-201, I think I'll shoot him an email to see what's up.

Regarding VB3's distortion, yeah, I also think that's a weak point. It's always sonded harsh to me. When I was still using VB3, I'd usually stick a saturation plugin between the organ, and an instance of the FX version for the leslie.

Are you kidding (jan), keyclick is one of the things I really like in VB3, as it's true to the real thing. :D Dunno, the way its distortion sounds is right up my alley, just love it (and VB3 v2 is only going to be better, I played a Crumar Mojo last month - boy did it rock my socks!).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Didn't like the DB33 at all, the Logic EVB3/Vintage Organ is still my favourite by far but for a more modern take on the organ Revival is outstanding.
I'm personally not interested in sample based organ instruments for the most part
I'm normally not either but the Acoustic Samples B5 is fantastic and takes a different approach to any other sampled organs. The tonewheels and vibrato/chorus settings are sampled and all phase aligned, whereas the foldback, keyclick, percussion and leslie are modeled. There's also a ton of tweaks that can really extend the range of sounds.
Could be, but I'm just really particular about this sort of thing. Moreover, I'm largely unwilling to pay very much for it. I'm pretty much back into my "meh, don't need it" mode after upgrading so much stuff this past sale season.

Between Reaktor, DB33, and Revival, I'm content at the moment with my organ selection. I also have a bunch of stuff that I don't use very often, like some of the Arturia models as well as NI's sample based organs. I have B4 but I haven't installed it for a while. I really wish they would have gone to the effort of making it 64 bit. I also have VB3 with mainstage which I've used as an external synth from time to time.

What I like about the Rhythmic Robot stuff is that they sample stuff that's off the beaten path. Funny thing, the samples of conventional organs that I do use somewhat more often are very simple organ samples like the Korg 90s dance organ which was so popular back in the day.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
I like DB33, as long as you turn the overdrive off. That said, I agree about Revival. I'm personally not interested in sample based organ instruments for the most part. I buy them if they're off the beaten path, like the things that Rhythmic Robot does. I wanted to like the Arturia models, but I don't, in part, because like with DB33, I don't like their distortion, or, for that matter, most of the effects, the noise is way too authentic. It's like they modeled the shittiest possible foot pedal setup and said "yeah, that sounds like a 70s setup, that's what people want!"
Yeah can't see the point of sample based either unless something weird like the Sounddust ones. Of the Arturia ones it's only the B3 that I don't like so it's not the effects for me, it's just too restrained and lacks guts (their EPs are too but even worse). The opposite of the Air one which was too harsh and thin sounding for me (but maybe the overdrive is at fault?) Anyway Revival is the ultimate organ for me now - does the classic stuff well but also ventures into totally new areas (although I also have a soft spot for the Reason Re version of the RMI Harmonic Synthesiser which is brilliant) .

Spent some more time with this VB3. I got some things which work, some things which drive me nuts. I think the bass rotor sounds real good but the treble horn does not. Maybe I'm just an idiot but controlling it is out of whack so far.

It is starting to have its place in this mess, which means it's cutting thru some real din now. "OVERDRIVE", drive on 10% is ok. Still hating that.

I don't know, I don't know much I gotta admit, maybe some of what I hate is authentic and I would have hated it in 1973. The belt noise, omg that's hideous tho.
My memory of it, our band in mid 70's, a C3 tho, it sounded right, it didn't ever sound like shit but I obviously was not operating it. I think the drawbars of VB3 are very musical and right, I'm going LOW so I really can check out the harmonic response.

Try to test Elgarorn a Reaktor 6 ensemble. Just uploaded
https://www.native-instruments.com/de/r ... how/11951/

AcousticSamples B-5, then DB33. The only 2 I have, and though I use both, I prefer B-5.

DB33 seems to be a bit lighter on resources when played by guitar/MIDI Guitar 2. That alone earns it keep for me, - it does sound alright and price was also a bargain.

I agree about the Acoustic Samples B-5 – it's sounds very 'true to life' to my ears.

If you want a Hammond with maybe a bit more 'bite'n'beef', the Blue3 is excellent and a lot of fun to play.

The VB3 v.2 in the Crumar MOJO is really good, too.

I briefly demoed the Air DB33 and immediately lost interest…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Return to “Instruments”