Help me brainstorm (free) music sources for dance theater

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Fellow KVRians,

I need your help to brainstorm ideas to locate (free) music sources for dance theater "plays" - so something like a Nutcracker ballet but with a more modern storyline, modern music, and modern dance.

Unfortunately, where I live the productions are tiny and the dancers have to pay fees for costumes and to rent the auditorium and there are a hundred volunteers needed. There is not much left over for the music. Currently, we license recordings of classical music in the public domain (i.e., the Nutcracker, Swan Lake, etc.) which comes out to about $1000 for a weekend of performances. Affordable, beautiful, ... and dated.

I'm currently working on a storyline that cobbles together a variety of classical music, but there are a couple of dances where it would be cool to insert hip-hop-like music. And in the future, I can see needing musical theater songs, jazz, electronica, etc.

Is it possible to find someone willing to donate their music to the production? Already there are volunteers that move around heavy flooring, steam costumes, run the spotlights, etc. Is there a volunteer eager to compose music in exchange for the simple thrill of having the music included in a dance production?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
YBaCuO

I'm surprised people haven't shown an interest in this - possibly because there's no money involved. :hihi:

You're quite welcome to use anything I've done (link in signature) if you want as it's just a hobby these days and I don't intend selling anything. I can do mixes without my shoddy vocal and you could use your own lyrics etc, although it's not really modern cutting edge stuff :clown: and I'm not sure it's what you're after. I've also only got the files for the newer stuff. I also couldn't really offer to write anything to order at them moment, already way behind on doing stuff for various people, and there's that pesky day job as well.. :o That might change in a few months (not planning to get sacked, but you never know..) and I can usually turn my hand to most genres.

Thinking further afield I was reading something recently about a site that puts composers in touch with people needing music, more for film I think but I'm sure there are other situations like this. The onset of old age means I can't remember it right now, but I'll have a look. I suppose also there's other music making forums you could try as well.

I'd be open to the idea of donating music, although I don't do hip-hop music. But if you see something you like on my Soundcloud, feel free to get in touch.

davidstiles wrote:I'd be open to the idea of donating music, although I don't do hip-hop music. But if you see something you like on my Soundcloud, feel free to get in touch.
David is being a bit modest here- he writes some stunning orchestral/classical type stuff. I'm no expert of course, but it's up there with the very best I've heard people doing on the internet.

I have been interested in writing music for dance for a while. I wrote some music for a dance film by Israel Rodriguez some years ago, and I have wanted to work with a dance troupe since then. Message me here and we can talk about how we might work together.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

why not take the $1000 you normally spend on old stuff and spend it on new music? I absolutely hate some people getting paid and others not. It is unethical - I know that people are naive about this but, there you go, it is unethical to source some labour for free and pay others for their labour. Of course if the project is revenue neutral or runs at a loss then that is completely different.

donkey_tugger: thanks for the support. I checked out your music - is that your raspy voice? - it's music from my youth! If I ever get inspired to create a story from that time, I'll get a hold of you - come to think of it, I'm getting some ideas already .... (duck and cover).

davidstiles: holy moly. That is some impressive music! I agree with donkey_tugger - some of the best I've heard on the internet. Are you a professional composer? If you are ever between jobs and are itching to donate a little made-to-order composition - please let me know. You'd be feted ...

JJBiener: I replied to your PM.

Woggle: Yes, it costs $1000 to license a recording of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker or Swan Lake. Ccomposing 100 minutes of music at the quality of the classical masters for $1000 sounds free to me. I forgot to mention this is a non-profit group; the dancers are high school students (or younger) and the audience is children. It takes over 1000 volunteer hours to put on the production, not including the "director" and "playwright." The dancers, in effect, pay for the music licensing by holding a car wash, which is actually very fun. When I spent more time on this forum (around 2006), I got the impression there were many talented hobbyists that would welcome the opportunity to contribute to such a project, rather than simply post at the Music Cafe to get 40 hits ...

So far, the best place to connect with film composers is at vimeo forum Wanted and Offered
https://vimeo.com/forums/wanted_and_offered

The following link has a list of royalty-free music (a license is still needed for theater):
https://vimeo.com/forums/wanted_and_offered/topic:15629

A google search of "royalty free music" also came up with many sites; often the licensing would only be $25-50 per track.

So far, the quality does not seem to be very good ...

YBaCuO wrote: is that your raspy voice? - it's music from my youth! If I ever get inspired to create a story from that time, I'll get a hold of you - come to think of it, I'm getting some ideas already .... (duck and cover).
Yes, it is me, cost me a fortune in cigarettes! No worries, give me a shout if you need anything in the 90-s indie stylee!

YBaCuO wrote:I'm currently working on a storyline that cobbles together a variety of classical music, but there are a couple of dances where it would be cool to insert hip-hop-like music. And in the future, I can see needing musical theater songs, jazz, electronica, etc.
Do you want to build a dance production around a free track

Or do you want some free music to fit your dance production?

In case of the latter I think more information is needed, some kind of storyboard, details of the coreography

Numanoid wrote: Do you want to build a dance production around a free track
Or do you want some free music to fit your dance production?
In case of the latter I think more information is needed, some kind of storyboard, details of the coreography
We're brainstorming for (free) music sources; not really seaking a specific piece. The google search "royaly-free music" did list several sources for electronic pieces where the licensing would be $25-50 per track (close enough to free), but not quite made to order. I was wondering if there were any KVRians, or some other place, that would be interested in contributing.

As for the example of needing a hip-hop-like piece that I gave, the scene is as follows: Grandma is taking care of her seven grandchildren over spring break and wants them to go outside. But they are all preoccupied with their tech-devices: playing xbox, sending instragrams from their iphones, watching TV, etc. The grandchildren ignore Grandma while dancing to the hip hop. Almost all the other music is from the classical masters: Ravel, Mahler, Rimsky-Korsakov, Janacek, etc.

Okay, I can probably find one hip hop piece for this scene - but what about future productions? Should I stick with the classical ballets?

YBaCuO wrote:davidstiles: holy moly. That is some impressive music! I agree with donkey_tugger - some of the best I've heard on the internet. Are you a professional composer? If you are ever between jobs and are itching to donate a little made-to-order composition - please let me know. You'd be feted ...
Well, thanks to both you and donkey tugger for the compliments! No, I'm not a professional composer, I mostly just really enjoy spending time writing music. That said, recently I've been trying to look for more opportunities to write music for other people, to move in a more professional sort of direction if there seems to be enough demand for my stuff. So I'd be happy to help you out. If you PM me with more details about what exactly you'd be looking for, we can discuss it more.

Return to “Music Cafe”