sonogram vs spectrogram

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I used sonogram in a post and got ridiculled. I used the word like it's used in Melda plugins. But why is it used there? Spectrograms seems to me now the proper word for the type of visualization [1].

Masi

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrogram

Well, "a sonogram is an image of the organs inside of the human body" produced by ultrasound and Melda says the sonogram in its MMultiAnalyzer "also lets you look into your material in ways not previously possible" so it looks into your body of work to see if your music has heart, or a beat, or the sounds are organ-ic, and that was never possible previously!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Hehe yeah! :love:
Well, Masi, don't worry, people that are making fun of you just because of this are probably those guys with low self esteem enjoying being hidden behind the computer, classic ;). As for the name, it's sort of sporadic, it seems that it is changing in time :)). Anyways, spectrogram sounds good to me, so I'll check, but that's a lot of changes for just a single word with poor definition, so I don't promise anything.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

To be honest I don't think it is really even a mistake. Sono is a prefix meaning sound. Gram is a suffix meaning drawing or recording. If you think of the actual meaning of the word it makes perfect sense. Sonograms are associated with pregnancy, but technically anything the draws sound graphically could be called a sonogram. Although it may not be the common word for it I don't see how it is a mistake.

By the way, I love the sonogram view in the melda plugins. Quite often it is the reason why I choose MAutoDynamicEQ over Pro-Q2, which I also own. The other thing is the easy hipass / lopass filters. Sure I could set them up in Pro-Q too, but its so much more convenient to just drag them from the side. Couldn't you put that function into all EQs?

Cheers,
Codex

A sonogram is a spectrogram of sound waves specifically. You will never be ridiculed if you use it in a scientific setting, especially in non-English countries, as it is not wrong.

Ha! Good points folks!! :love:
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Return to “MeldaProduction”