Lindell 254E (or now 354)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lindell Audio 254E Lindell Audio 354E

Interesting plug, didn't see another thread on it.

Here's my brief thoughts: It's good at it's job. Provides extra gain w/o being pumpy or funky. Easy to use. I little overly subtle. A bit munchy on the CPU.

Anyone else?
Last edited by incubus on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

I love it, bought it. I could not find this quality bus compression for this price (plus PA voucher) yet.
It glues and brings some warmth but does not smear the transients imo.
Michael White reviewed it and showed the depth and movement it brings.

edit/n/m.

incubus wrote:I think this might be my voucher purchase.
Good shot.
Because it's an analog emulation it's good to use it on clean(ish) mixes at first, I think.
If a mix already has plenty of analog emulation it might be too much.
Let this 'thing' work on a balanced basic mix and then complete the mix with other goodies.

Hehe, you beat me to it........

The reason I edited my post is I've run into a bit of a snag in FL studio with possibly vst3. I have to do some more research. If I'm right, it will be the second time that vst3 has been a culprit in FL studio with Lindell.

Still will probably get it, 14 bucks and I use bitwig more than FL studio, but I have to retest to see if the vst2.4 is cool.

GRRRRRRR! FL is a disaster at times :x
Last edited by incubus on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very nice can be subtle or can be brutal, good for mix buss and single channel processing, low cpu usage, great plugin as always from PA.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

a very good sounding, capable plug in - I'm positively surprised ...

You know, sometimes people put some time into presets :)

So, for 14 bucks it's too useful to pass up. Gotta figure out what to do about the FL studio situation though.

EDIT: oh those wacky IL people :hihi: , you have to jump through some hoops but looks like I got the vst2 working, finally in FL.

Offers some very practical improvements over the original Neve 2254.

Such as 100ms release time a slower attack option, and a HPF on the sidechain.

The original unit was also, slightly annoyingly calibrated for around -22dBFS. This means you had to drop the gain by 4dB usually as you gain stage into it. The Waves V compressor mimics this trait too, but it's a little more easily worked around in the plugin world.

In the options you do have the ability to change the calibration characteristic of the 254E, so it's possible to set it up to emulate the old school unit, but I choose to set it at -18dBFS for practicality.

I love the sound of the 2254 on traditional r&b and soul inspired music. I think the harmonics really compliment the sound. The original unit is a hard thing to use on drums and bass, especially since it lacks the sidechain filter, but if you manage to pull it off it can sound great. Vocals can benefit from it too.

I really like this compressor, it's a bit more forgiving than the Waves V. They do both sound great, though.

incubus wrote:You know, sometimes people put some time into presets :)

So, for 14 bucks it's too useful to pass up. Gotta figure out what to do about the FL studio situation though.

EDIT: oh those wacky IL people :hihi: , you have to jump through some hoops but looks like I got the vst2 working, finally in FL.
Where is this located for $14

Works great for Rock/Grunge/Metal too. It's one of those compressors that if it works on the source, it's brilliant, but it's not one of those - "works on everything" type comps. I got it for $49 last year, well worth the money. The 100ms release can be mean(nice for parallel), and I don't use the limiter much, only thing that limiter works for me on is classic PB bass. Also calibrated mine to -18dBFS.

pc2000 wrote:
incubus wrote:You know, sometimes people put some time into presets :)

Where is this located for $14
It's 49 and I had a 35 buck voucher. Sorry if I mislead, I had mentioned the voucher earlier :oops:

Love this compressor.

I make deep house and techno,,

Pick it up,,,,,,,

Definite thumbs up for the 254 :tu:
Sounds great and it's easy to use.
Using it mainly on drum tracks and busses, but it comes in handy for rhythm and bass guitar too.

That's one area I had to make a double-take, bass. I was like "it's not really doing anything, but there is more of it, and it's thicker" :shrug: I kept looking at the bxmeter and seeing if I was falling for it just having more gain or something, but no. There is just something in the circuit that gives far more life to it.

TBF, I probably could get a similar effect from VCC but it's w/o dongle and since I've been using my new lappy I like not having to carry the ilok.

Return to “Effects”