VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrrPrpoMGUU

TL:DW; Like PaulDither, but more so.

DoublePaul

This is for sort of a special purpose.

I've got an outrageous custom dither (well, wordlength reducer: there's no noise and no randomness in it) called Not Just Another Dither. For final output, it's that I recommend.

However, I've got a mastering engineer friend (Hi Bob!) who favors another dither of mine, PaulDither. The reason is, it's traditional TPDF dither. It handles dithering duties perfectly (with a slight Airwindows-izing: the weight of the final noise floor is balanced to make one 'bit' function as zero, and to make the dither activate adjacent bits on either side for a better sound. This also gives a teeny least-significant-bit DC offset, if you assume 'zero' is between the two smallest bits, positive and negative)

I wanted to give Bob (and anyone else selecting traditional TPDF) something fancier that still counted as purely normal dither. So, here's DoublePaul.

It's TPDF highpassed dither, just like PaulDither. But, I'm also using some adjacent samples to skew the noise profile even further into the highs. It's just a redistribution of energy, and it leaves the key pair of full-intensity noise samples to stay as TPDF dither. I just doctored the way you hear the noise, to push it a little farther into the highs. I've also backed off the teeny DC offset, and shaped every filter tap by ear. If you liked PaulDither, try DoublePaul and see if you like taking the PaulDither concept just a teeny bit farther, with no penalty to how the TPDF works. It's just like a little sinc interpolation, a thing that's trying to hide the TPDF energy by pushing it farther into the extreme highs. If you don't trust NotJustAnotherDither, but you'd like something even quieter than PaulDither, try this.

All this is supported by my Patreon, so if you'd like to see me cheerfully continuing to think up this stuff indefinitely, help me get it to where it looks like a real job. I'm quite good at being a starving artist but money is a resource and it limits and distracts me when I'm starving too much.

I think I'll have to keep things dialled back to one new VST plugin a week for another week: not only am I still sick, but somebody ran over my house with their car :cry: no seriously! :lol: I will post a picture when I have one tomorrow. The bright side is, she didn't mean to and she has insurance and none of it was remotely my fault, so it ought to be fixable. However, for now it's hilariously bad and I'm lucky it didn't wreck the structure of my home and I'll be pretty distracted dealing with this nonsense, just when I least expected it. So I may well have to cool it off to one plugin a week for the moment. Terrible, I know. I R lazy dev, no biscuit :cry:

:D

Oh god, sorry to hear about your house. That's crazy.

nineofkings wrote:Oh god, sorry to hear about your house. That's crazy.
You can say that again!

https://www.facebook.com/10000319969801 ... 811543797/

Video. Also it's hilarious to see industry friends and local friends and family all commenting and liking etc. without knowing who each other are :D

Hi Chris, I just noticed that after rendering with DoublePaul, the Audio Pumps (Like Pumping Synths on EDM). I take out DoublePaul then rendered again, the Pumping’s gone. I’m using the Win VST. I use the NotJustAnotherDither and it doesn't have this problem. Thanks.
Cockos REAPER | Win7 x64 | AMD A8 6600K Quad (3.9GHz) | G.Skill RipjawsX RAM (8GHz) | NI Komplete Audio 6 | Mackie CR4 | KRK KNS 6400 | Sennheiser MX 400 II

Sorry to hear about the house!!

I seem to remember you mentioning a link to a zip with all the patreon plugins in it, did I imagine that?

I cant find it
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Khaos Hellatron wrote:Hi Chris, I just noticed that after rendering with DoublePaul, the Audio Pumps (Like Pumping Synths on EDM). I take out DoublePaul then rendered again, the Pumping’s gone. I’m using the Win VST. I use the NotJustAnotherDither and it doesn't have this problem. Thanks.
That's weird. Is it the last plugin in the chain? I think you should be using NotJustAnotherDither anyhow, though :)

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Sorry to hear about the house!!

I seem to remember you mentioning a link to a zip with all the patreon plugins in it, did I imagine that?

I cant find it
NewUpdates.zip :D

(the link text is http://www.airwindows.com/wp-content/up ... pdates.zip )

jinxtigr wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Sorry to hear about the house!!

I cant find it
NewUpdates.zip :D

(the link text is http://www.airwindows.com/wp-content/up ... pdates.zip )
:tu:

Thank you
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”