CPU not fully used

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello to all,

Why ist the CPU not fully used ? Bitwig uses half of the DSP performance. But the computer CPU is only 20% used. Must this not be equal ? Laptop I7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, USB 3.0 Midi/Audio Interface.

Roland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bug reports

If you found a reproducible bug, please head over to http://www.bitwig.com/en/support/tech-support.html
and send us:

- Detailed information about your hardware and software setup (system specs, operating system, audio hardware, Bitwig Studio version, used plugins and their version numbers) and what the issue is about
- Step by step instructions on how to reproduce your issue

ok, i will do that.

BWS is probably showing the load for one core.
Open the task manager to see the load by core in windows.

DSP use in Bitwig (or in any DAW) =\= CPU use in Task Manager

This isn't a bug. What a DAW measures to show performance is different to what the OS measures. This isn't just a Bitwig and Windows thing, it's the case with every OS and DAW. It's one of the reasons that a high Geekbench score doesn't necessarily mean a good CPU for audio.

Can this be optimized ? Special drivers, or somethin else ? I have all not used drivers deactivated and i think my system is good for DAWs.....

Don't think so. You've got occasional spikes in the DSP meter so maybe check your system's DPC latency with something like Latencymon. You also don't have a fast CPU so you could try raising the buffer size if you're experiencing dropouts or buy an audio interface with good drivers.
None of this will get the DSP meter in Bitwig anywhere close to the Task Manager. Real-time audio doesn't work that way.

here the same: bitwig seems to have problems with strong multicore machines. There are bleeps and pops very soon, where another DAW I use, there is no issue with a HIGH Buffer of 512 samples...

@NKirn93
I tested a lot with my laptop.
So i used a Steinber UR-22 Midi Audio Interface but there are very often crackles also with very high samples (There is a lot of written is the forum). I tested a Roland Capture Duo pro, which was better in my system. Actually i use a Zoom UAC-2 which had a USB 3.0 connector. That works ok (768 Samples). But i don't know if the drivers are good , or not.

I read a lot of about Midi Audio Interfaces but there is no one which is very good. Often the Scarlet are mentioned, but other writes bad things about that. So it is very difficult to find the perfect Interface with reading.

I will try the Latencymon.
What do you think is a good Midi Audio Interface with good drivers ?

@magicron
I'm curious, what kind of tests did you run?

Steinberg and Roland drivers are middle of the road. Zoom has their drivers developed in-house like RME, so it SHOULD run better. Definitely don't think about a Scarlett, atm Focusrite don't have good USB drivers on Windows.
If you want a good USB interface then RME is the only way to go, Zoom being a possible exception. Look at the Low Latency Performance Database on Gearslutz, possibly the only place you'll find properly tested driver performance results. Good interface drivers are hard to come by in general, it's not just a Windows thing.

Definitely try Latencymon and see if any drivers are causing DPC spikes. Often poor Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers lead to crackling, especially on laptops.

Also keep in mind that Bitwig does multithreading per track (like all DAWs AFAIK).
So one track with many or heavy VSTs may give you that situation.
If you can spread the load to multiple tracks, you should get better spread to your cores.
You can also test if the plugin setting "each plugin" or "only as bitbridge" in preferences gives you better performance (restart Bitwig after each change to that parameter) - I get better performance with "each plugin".

Some plugins also have internal multithreading (for instance Diva) - it's worth a try if it improves or deproves (;-) ) performance for you.

Finally: use your laptop plugged into power and at the highest performance settings, otherwise it can happen that some cores go to sleep or other illogical things happen, like the DSP meter is higher for a lower load, since the CPU is throttled.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Hi Tom,

i only use power supply. Thats a big difference to only with accu. There's no way without power supply.
Also i have presonus studio one and they say to Diva, that the multi core is turn to off, because the DAW manage the CPU. So i switched it off.

I use only as bit-bridge. Other switches have very high CPU load.

For the track i use only one vsti for one track.

Thank you very much !!!!!!

@NKirn93
I tested the interfaces with power supply, without power supply, with USB hub 2.0 (because in the foren is read that USB 2.0 is better than 3,0), different cable.
But now i use the Zoom with power supply and direct connected to the laptop.
About the RME there is always written very good in the foren, but it is very expensive....
I try the Latencymon and make a photo.

In that case, add some more tracks and your DSP load should not rise much until all your CPU cores are used.

As I said, if you only have one track with Diva, multicore would help. It does not help if you have ten tracks with Diva.

For my machine (6 core i7) I get best performance with "each plugin".

I don't think the "problem" is your interface, I actually think there is no problem.
It's just how multitasking works in a DAW when you only have on track.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

@NKirn93
Here are the pictures with LatencyMon.
The problem is the USB 2.0 port driver ?
I deactivated the bluetooh, ethernet and on board sound driver.
....the network ist still there in the graphik ?!

@Tom
I am very happy with my Midi Audio interface.
Thank you for your posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Your hard pagefault resolution time seems a little high (half a second!) so that could be the source of the spikes you see in the DSP meter. Here: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon_using you'll find some information as to how to diagnose them.

Other than that your ISR and DPC look fine. I haven't used Diva so I can't say if that CPU usage is typical or not.

Return to “Bitwig”