headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steve Bolivar wrote:Sennheiser HD 280 are ones to check out too.
the HD280s are very 'DJ' oriented - both in terms of ruggedness and isolation. Fine if that's what you need, but if you're producing in a quiet environment I'd look at something like the HD559 (which is from their hifi line), same price (as always comes down to personal taste same as monitors so try both and go with which you like the sound of best)

2nd the suggestion for mophit for correction (both sennheiser models are on the list of factory supported correction curves)

incubus wrote:There's no way. That's like saying a free compressor or eq is every bit as good as an expensive one that Elton John uses is.
You'd be surprised. Again, coming from someone owning some pretty expensive headphone amplifiers in the past (Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL Mark III, Keces DA-171, Little Dot 1+ w/tube and op-amp upgrades) and dozens and dozens of well regarded phones... the K52 is rather spectacular.
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

You do know I was joking though, right? :hihi:

I have no way of telling.

I own Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs and absolutely love them!

+ a million ..... Sennheiser HD280 :phones:

My Audio Technica ATH-M40x's are fantastic. Very flat response with a great range for the price. Never had a bad mix on them. I also use Samson SR850's although they are a bit hallow (lacking in the mid). The Audio Technica pair is my personal preference while doing masters and mixing. The Samsons serve as a sound design platform and composition without heavy loss of frequency.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica ... words=m40x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samson-SR850-P ... mson+sr850

Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD650.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

If you grab a set of decent phones and need a super nifty ASIO playback interface... check this guy out:
https://www.amazon.com/Korg-DSDAC100-Ch ... B00GGHHG8A

That was $600 when it was released a few years back and was reviewed VERY positively at that going price. I have no idea why it's so absurdly cheap through amazon as you also get access to their killer AudioGate DSD playback/conversion software.
Snare drums samples: the new and improved "dither algo"

AKG K271 MKII, 100/150 $ circa.
I've been having them since 2009 (I changed my pair once, I treated my first pair very badly :dog: though that, they've been resisting a lot).
They're great for mixing, you know it's always better to have another way of listening, through good studio monitors.
They're close, brilliant (and definite) sound, if it is in your interests, it has a huge volume (it's not the most important thing).
Keep in mind that they tend to emphasize freqs between 400 and 1.2 kHz (I suppose) and bass is not so evident (in the other hand, you can hear those frequencies limpidly). But what's the problem? They're done for mixing precisely :wink:

I've got some Sennheiser ones that sound great (though I need replacement foam for one of them). The first ones were selected after a thorough trial at a hi-fi shop.

I have some more expensive Beyerdynamic ones (DT250), but they have a heavy curly lead and it spoils the headphones. If it touches ANYTHING as I move around, it's like I can hear this thudding noise. Absurd and totally avoidable design flaw.
Last edited by jabe on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I know at this point in time it doesn't matter, but I've been considering the AKG 553 pros just to have something different. Apparently, they are not hyped and sound/feel great. 199 is too rich for my blood right now but this place has them for much less:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AKG-K553-Pro ... 3=&veh=sem

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”