What feature should be implemented in Bitwig 2.1? Melodyne ARA?

Official support for: bitwig.com

What feature should be implemented in Bitwig 2.1?

ARA (Melodyne integration)
21%
Comping
24%
Sampler improvements (timestretch)
55%

Total votes: 67

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I almost bought Studio One for $170 (JRRshop crossgrade sale) instead of upgrading to Bitwig 2 for $129 (1.0 Badge), all because I love the Melodyne integration (ARA).

The new Bitwig modulators aren't that useful to me so I still have not upgraded. The cosmetic 'improvement' wasn't needed. I don't know if I can wait for Bitwig 3 or 4 to get Melodyne ARA integration. I waited for REAPER and I've officially given up. Even Tracktion has ARA.

I wish the developers would say something. Dom?

IMO, there are only 3 features that Bitwig needs to be complete and I think ARA is the easiest to implement. I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Softube Console 1 integration.

Ara would be nice, especially since the lack of rewire means pretty much no serious pitch correction software works properly in Bitwig. However, because I'm old school I just do my pitch correction in Studio One and drop it into Bitwig.

The 3 are quite important.

On the comping side, Bitwig seems (initially) not that worried about comp / recording, and focused more on the electronic side of things, new approaches to workflow and music making. Don't think it's a pressing issue for them and in the grand scheme of things, there are other DAWs for that. Most people use at least 2, so guess they are focusing on making it a better creative tool and later on add those "perks". Pro Tools only had freeze on version 12. FREEZE! It was such a limiting factor. Especially with UAD plugin, freeze makes the capacity infinite pretty much. That being said in, a saturated DAW market, it's probably best to improve on what makes you unique first.
Currently make music in ableton and mix in PT, but really want bitwig to take that music making spot :)

Melodyne ARA is pretty nice, gets boring having to export all of the vocals into stand alone and importing back. However it's sort of related to the recording side of things, so probably not in their high priority list? It is a cool addition to quickly tune samples, drum hits, etc

Sampler seems the most important thing, the native one has to be powerful and versatile. Ableton has simpler/sampler, Bitwig (as far as i am aware) only has 1, so it better be really good! Gets my vote

Of the 3 listed, the sampler would be my choice... but time signature automation is more important to me than any of those 3.

pdxindy wrote:Of the 3 listed, the sampler would be my choice... but time signature automation is more important to me than any of those 3.
Yes, no time signature automation is a sin

Now with 5 DAW's that support ARA it was easy to pass up the
$149 BWS deal at thelooploft. So, yes ARA implementation is
extremely important to me, so much so that I am willing to
pass up Bitwig which lacks this great feature.

Tough choice between sampler improvements and ARA. However before they introduce any new features I really think they should finish the things that are half done, even still at V2.0. Touch screen mode usually doesn't allow editing automation (I've seen it work sort of but unpredictable, usually just doesn't work at all), which is kind of a key thin gin a DAW. If you're going to have a touch mode, then finish it. Half finished is not useful. Similarly with MPE support. It's not much use having MPE support if the notes don't record the channel that it was played on. It can play back differently than it was recorded. All other DAWs do this correctly that support MPE. Again, if you're going to include a feature in the program, do it fully. Not half broken.

DaniHel wrote:The 3 are quite important.

On the comping side, Bitwig seems (initially) not that worried about comp / recording, and focused more on the electronic side of things, new approaches to workflow and music making. Don't think it's a pressing issue for them and in the grand scheme of things, there are other DAWs for that. Most people use at least 2, so guess they are focusing on making it a better creative tool and later on add those "perks". Pro Tools only had freeze on version 12. FREEZE! It was such a limiting factor. Especially with UAD plugin, freeze makes the capacity infinite pretty much. That being said in, a saturated DAW market, it's probably best to improve on what makes you unique first.
Currently make music in ableton and mix in PT, but really want bitwig to take that music making spot :)

Melodyne ARA is pretty nice, gets boring having to export all of the vocals into stand alone and importing back. However it's sort of related to the recording side of things, so probably not in their high priority list? It is a cool addition to quickly tune samples, drum hits, etc

Sampler seems the most important thing, the native one has to be powerful and versatile. Ableton has simpler/sampler, Bitwig (as far as i am aware) only has 1, so it better be really good! Gets my vote
Wow. This makes a lot of sense.

I was going to say ARA or comping, but I think the sampler improvement is probably a better bet...
iMacPro 1,1 | 64gb | OSX 10.15.7
http://www.gesslr.com
http://www.storyaudio.com

Both! I have melodyne studio!

Bitwig needs Sampler improvements way more than ARA or comping IMO... it needs a slicing mode (like the new Simpler in Live) and better timestretching at the very least

Given that Bitwig is the least CPU efficient DAW for me (on the Mac, compared to Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9, and Studio One v3), I would vote for Track Transform the way it has been implemented in Studio One. Then ARA (Melodyne integration).
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Similarly with MPE support. It's not much use having MPE support if the notes don't record the channel that it was played on. It can play back differently than it was recorded. All other DAWs do this correctly that support MPE. Again, if you're going to include a feature in the program, do it fully. Not half broken.
+1

billcarroll wrote:Given that Bitwig is the least CPU efficient DAW for me (on the Mac, compared to Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9, and Studio One v3), I would vote for Track Transform the way it has been implemented in Studio One. Then ARA (Melodyne integration).
Yeah this would be great actually. They already have the bounce in place and hybrid tracks. They just need a revert to midi. Such a great feature in Studio One and they implemented it exactly the way I wrote and suggested it to Logic devs back in version 6. They didn't listen.

Wishes:
Onset Sensitivity SLIDER !
Comping
Native Note Repeat
Groove Quantise Templates
Sampler improvements (although current one suits my personal needs tbh)
ARA or homemade alternative (that sounds as good of course) hehe
Clever track freezing options
Saturation Plugin

bonus wishes:
Plugin to Sampler automation tool
Sample Preset converter automation tool
Graphic Based Controller Scripting system

To be fair bitwig is ticking off my wish list pretty well already. I am excited for the time when they've fully nailed all foundation stuff and then get to INNOVATE with new clever ideas. I think that's when we'll see things go to a new dimension and other Daws will be playing catch up. :-)

Best
DALE

Return to “Bitwig”