AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote:I should have bought AMD stock when it was at $1.50 per share
:dog: :cry: :dog:
Indeed, just one year ago their stock cost less than two bucks per share.

Now it cost more than 14 bucks :o

Some smart geezers out there are probably laughing all the way to the bank as I write these lines :neutral:

Heh, that probably wont last long if AMD stays true to its history. No doubt they will screw it
up somehow. Granted Ryzen looks great, history says there is always a catch when it comes to AMD.

If they can manage to take even the smallest of market shares from Intel, maybe I will become a believer.
Other than that, fool me once.... etc.

Do you guys honestly believe its only been about their ability to design processors that has
kept them in the rear until this point. Nonsense...

pekbro wrote:Do you guys honestly believe its only been about their ability to design processors that has kept them in the rear until this point. Nonsense...
I think they have been useful for, for example HP. Not getting the right price for processors from intel, then we will go with the little guy instead. So in the next processor generation HP can pick up processors at a lower price from Intel.

For all I know HP and Dell and the likes could be throwing a bit of money at AMD to make them challenge Intel (at least in the media). Something that HP/Dell then can use when bargaining prices with Intel.

Just because they were not making competitive CPU's anymore for some time, does not mean that they were not doing well as a company. They earn a lot with gaming consoles and less obvious things like that. They had a lot of cash and decided to get back into the CPU race. And I bet they didn't do so for fun. Their goal is probably to get a big chunk of the lucrative server market. And I think they might succeed, not least due to the low TDP of their new processors. The consumer business is more of a side effect, although they have always cared about gamers I think, not least because of their graphics business.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Just because they were not making competitive CPU's anymore for some time, does not mean that they were not doing well as a company. They earn a lot with gaming consoles and less obvious things like that.
So you know more than the average stock market investor?

Since late 2012 the stock of AMD has been well below $5, and then suddenly in the last year it has quadrupled.

If you did have any clue about the "real" value of AMD, why aren't you a multi millionaire by now? :P

pekbro wrote: Other than that, fool me once.... etc.
That's exactly how I feel, bought into the hype with the Fx processors once only to watch same spec Intel chip walk all over it when it came to running a Daw. But it's a good thing they are still alive cause Intel would probably charge 3 x the price it they could.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

I'm really glad to read and watch all these videos. It seems for me that AMD is UP again and the new processor is a game changer ;)

My only last PC build is Intel (also most of the PCs I assembled were intel/nVidia based since a decade), but my next build mostly would be AMD, but it won't be soon! My current system (i5) is really very good and it has been 2 years using it, so I expect another 3 years of usage.

Most important is there will be a competition and prices will fall (especially from Intel). I don't have a problem with any of them (AMD or Intel), but the last decade AMD processors were disappointing. I hope the glorious Athlon days will come back and we will have great choices.

I have no doubts about the quality of AMD! Microsoft and Sony are not stupid :hihi: So, I'm almost sure the new processors from AMD would be a great success :tu:

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Just because they were not making competitive CPU's anymore for some time, does not mean that they were not doing well as a company. They earn a lot with gaming consoles and less obvious things like that.
So you know more than the average stock market investor?

Since late 2012 the stock of AMD has been well below $5, and then suddenly in the last year it has quadrupled.

If you did have any clue about the "real" value of AMD, why aren't you a multi millionaire by now? :P
The value of stocks is often not objective, but subject to certain human conditions such as greed, gambling, etc.
Luckily, I am not an investor, I have no interest in becoming rich.

I cant see this as anything more than a quick cash grab for AMD and a way to solidify its current
market shares, possibly more depending on Intel's actions.

Intel is the sleeping Dragon, hopefully Ryzen has got its eyes open a little. No doubt if he stirs,
his options are many. If he's even interested in the enthusiast market anymore.

-Cheers

pekbro wrote:I cant see this as anything more than a quick cash grab for AMD and a way to solidify its current
market shares, possibly more depending on Intel's actions.

Intel is the sleeping Dragon, hopefully Ryzen has got its eyes open a little. No doubt if he stirs,
his options are many. If he's even interested in the enthusiast market anymore.

-Cheers
Yes, because it's just that easy to create a CPU to grab some quick cash.

:roll:
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

fluffy_little_something wrote:Luckily, I am not an investor, I have no interest in becoming rich.
:o

Having a bank account that is not overdraft is just one aspect of it.

Having money to invest, means you have a chance to shape the future, the way you think it should be.

Where would AMD be if not some "rich" users didn't put some of their funds into backing them

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Luckily, I am not an investor, I have no interest in becoming rich.
:o

Having a bank account that is not overdraft is just one aspect of it.

Having money to invest, means you have a chance to shape the future, the way you think it should be.

Where would AMD be if not some "rich" users didn't put some of their funds into backing them
If I wanted to shape the future, I would become a politician or teacher.

fluffy_little_something wrote:If I wanted to shape the future, I would become a politician or teacher.
It is of course much more easy to complain if the future didn't turn out the way it should be, than actually trying to influence it somehow :P

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:If I wanted to shape the future, I would become a politician or teacher.
It is of course much more easy to complain if the future didn't turn out the way it should be, than actually trying to influence it somehow :P
I don't get your point and logic...
The vast majority of investors are not interested in shaping the world - let alone in a positive way -, but in shaping the size of their own wallets.

We are way off-topic, this is to be a technical thread...

...and back ON topic... LOOK AT THIS SHITE!!!

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-world-record/
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1 ... al-launch/
http://wccftech.com/amds-ryzen-7-cpus-a ... lers-list/

I am absolutely sold. If this is hype, by now there has never been anything to match it.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”