GEAR

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you want to work completely inside your computer (we refer to this as In The Box, ITB) the only thing you really need apart from the computer are Studio Monitors.

If you are really comfortable working ITB and have a good budget I would invest in a very nice studio monitors: genelec, focal, sceptre s8, something in that price range.

One thing that can be tedious while working ITB is writing notes, for this a MIDI keyboard can be useful as well as for playing stuff (if you know how to play).

Personally If I was going to work completely ITB I would get Ableton Push 2 (because it is an excellent controller that makes making melodies, harmony and drum sequences fun and easy) , an audio interface (since I am in windows) and Genelec 8330 monitors along the subwoofer 7350.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Personally If I was going to work completely ITB I would get Ableton Push 2 (because it is an excellent controller that makes making melodies, harmony and drum sequences fun and easy) , an audio interface (since I am in windows) and Genelec 8330 monitors along the subwoofer 7350.
That sounds like pretty good advice to me, but I've never gotten on well with those pad style controllers. For me, it would be a Focusrite audio interface, a Novation Impulse61, and my Yamaha H7 monitors.

Push 2, Remote SL, NI interface and Genelec monitors (with sub) here.

Then there's the hardware synths, mixers, effects, guitars ...

RichieWitch wrote:
rod_zero wrote:Personally If I was going to work completely ITB I would get Ableton Push 2 (because it is an excellent controller that makes making melodies, harmony and drum sequences fun and easy) , an audio interface (since I am in windows) and Genelec 8330 monitors along the subwoofer 7350.
That sounds like pretty good advice to me, but I've never gotten on well with those pad style controllers. For me, it would be a Focusrite audio interface, a Novation Impulse61, and my Yamaha H7 monitors.
if you play keys, yes of course a keyboard controller makes more sense, but if Not Push is excellent.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
RichieWitch wrote:
if you play keys, yes of course a keyboard controller makes more sense, but if Not Push is excellent.
Agreed. It all depends on how your brain works. :)

rod_zero wrote:If you want to work completely inside your computer (we refer to this as In The Box, ITB) the only thing you really need apart from the computer are Studio Monitors.

If you are really comfortable working ITB and have a good budget I would invest in a very nice studio monitors: genelec, focal, sceptre s8, something in that price range.

One thing that can be tedious while working ITB is writing notes, for this a MIDI keyboard can be useful as well as for playing stuff (if you know how to play).

Personally If I was going to work completely ITB I would get Ableton Push 2 (because it is an excellent controller that makes making melodies, harmony and drum sequences fun and easy) , an audio interface (since I am in windows) and Genelec 8330 monitors along the subwoofer 7350.
i pretty much work ITB, i compose everything in FL piano roll then bounce the midi into logic, i do mess around with the mac keyboard for melodies cause i don't own a midi controller.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Push 2, Remote SL, NI interface and Genelec monitors (with sub) here.

how's push 2 in terms of work flow?
Last edited by ImpossibleMachines on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xiangqi wrote:
ImpossibleMachines wrote:i provided a link for a drop i made with no top lead
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppjkxfwrweagx ... e.wav?dl=0
it sounds pretty good, maybe not as clear overall as you might like it (cut out some low-mid?). the kick could be more prominent but that's a tough call. it's just i've recently heard some djs live-streaming from clubs and my response usually is 'wow it's like a giant kick and then some other things swirling around with it... but that kick, wow'

as mentioned, after mixing you want to listen on as many systems as possible. understood that such can be a sort of chicken and egg thing, but if you have a car stereo for instance, check it out in the car, or if you have a friend with access to a club p.a., give it a go over there, or on tiny earbuds which is what a lot of people are listening on, or through a phone speaker which some people do...

anyway, it sounds pretty good.
How do they do that with the kik, is it compressed? i have no compressor on mine, may need a new kik sample tbh.
thanks

ImpossibleMachines wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Push 2, Remote SL, NI interface and Genelec monitors (with sub) here.

how's push 2 interns of work flow?
Its great with Live 9. Takes a bit of getting used to how it plays scales in instrument mode, but once you "get it" its great. The drum rack/step sequencer setup is awesome. I use mine alongside a ReMOTE SL keyboard (the original 2 screen version). Works perfectly for my workflow.

Ableton Push is a great device for inputting notes but it is limited to Ableton Live, so you would need to change DAW. Is it worth it? for me it is but for someone very comfortable with other DAW it may not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSC5zRr4zfw

NI Maschine is also quite good at providing an interface to input notes/beats and works in any host. I also like it but I prefer Push 64 pads layout for inputting notes.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Ableton Push is a great device for inputting notes but it is limited to Ableton Live, so you would need to change DAW. Is it worth it? for me it is but for someone very comfortable with other DAW it may not.

NI Maschine is also quite good at providing an interface to input notes/beats and works in any host. I also like it but I prefer Push 64 pads layout for inputting notes.
how does this help in composing chord progressions, melodies etc compared to a midi keyboard?, do you not have to draw in the chord then assign it to pad then start messing around?

On Push2 you can play chords using multiple pads.

ImpossibleMachines wrote:
rod_zero wrote:Ableton Push is a great device for inputting notes but it is limited to Ableton Live, so you would need to change DAW. Is it worth it? for me it is but for someone very comfortable with other DAW it may not.

how does this help in composing chord progressions, melodies etc compared to a midi keyboard?, do you not have to draw in the chord then assign it to pad then start messing around?
Well to start Push has something called "scale mode" where the pads only play notes in a scale of your choosing. You don't have to assign chords to pads first, the pads are notes, a group of 3 or 4 notes form a chord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFxK9eoZYE

It is not presented in the video but it also has a step sequencer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZHD0C75As

Now the advantage of Push is that it is a keyboard, a drum pad, step sequencer and provides access to many DAW functions all in a single device. I use it alone or along a traditional keyboard.
dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”