what's the best roland tape echo emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Autobot wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It uses impulse responses though, I would prefer a proper modelled emulation.
I think you saying correlates to OuterSpace, or? As far as I know the impulse responses are used for the reverb not for the delay. That's fair and save some cpu
Maybe but it's a short cut and ultimately limits it.

aMUSEd wrote:
Autobot wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:It uses impulse responses though, I would prefer a proper modelled emulation.
I think you saying correlates to OuterSpace, or? As far as I know the impulse responses are used for the reverb not for the delay. That's fair and save some cpu
:? I do not see the limits it's not like that Roland's Space Echo let you configure the reverb ...
rabbit in a hole

thecontrolcentre wrote:+1 for GS-201. Just installed the new 64bit version. I've missed having this since going 64bit.
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/default.asp
Lets hope they upgrade their other plugins too. :party:
Wait... what?! It's x64 now? When did THAT happen?

*checks page* 18th February - this Saturday! Now that is a positive surprise. Faster than the AudioThing as well.

Now there is hope for a x64 and bigger UI version of WATKAT though...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Lazylefteye wrote:Shame there is no 64bit version for Mac :(
And from the wording on his site, I'm not sure there ever will be.

I'd been waiting years for this to come around, and it seems it won't happen for me now. It would be cause for some disappointment, were it not for the info that 'Dubmachines' will be released as vst/au. It seems to be way more flexible than the gs offering :shrug:

aMUSEd wrote:
Autobot wrote:
It's a hybrid system though which uses both IR and algorithmic methods. Best of both worlds is the idea, as far as I understood it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

After all those years Guido has chosen a really strange moment in time to finally release a 64bit version - without knowing anything but also without believing in coincidence this seems like a very mean spirited move to me to be frank. :-/
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

The AudioThing OuterSpace beta is sounding just as good as the UAD version for the most part. There's no reason why people shouldn't buy it now why it's cheap. It sounds like an RE-201, if that's really the topic of conversation here...? Also has oversampling, 3 tape modes, the EQ section is sounding pretty authentic, and the reverb is great. Algorithmic or not, OuterSpace is an emulation of an RE-201, which isn't a swiss army box itself by any stretch. I think you'd be a bit silly if you were after a Space Station plugin and didn't buy it really. Especially for $39. UAD can suck it.

jens wrote:After all those years Guido has chosen a really strange moment in time to finally release a 64bit version - without knowing anything but also without believing in coincidence this seems like a very mean spirited move to me to be frank. :-/
Are you being serious? How is it mean spirited? Was it mean spirited when Overloud releases their Comp76 so soon after PSP releases their FET Compressor, which wasn't that long after Slate's Blue Compressors, which weren't all that far away from the original Slate FG-116, which wasn't too far away from the Waves CLA versions, which was probably around the time FXpansion released theirs, and IK put out theirs, which was close to when Softube put their FET compressor, which was close to when Universal Audio put out their Mk II's, which followed their MK 1's, which totally stole the thunder from Bomb Factory? The market allows for more than one emulation of a single piece of gear.

Not to mention the fact that the Outer Verb plugin isn't even out, and GS-201 have been clamoring for a x64 bit version for years. If they came out the same day, maybe then I'd think, "he could've waited..." If anything, Audio Thing is now in a position that their Space Echo plugin has some direct competition, which I think will be a good thing. Now there's more incentive for them to outdo the GS-201 if they haven't already with their beta, and that's a good thing for everyone.

dave dove wrote:@ ddeez

soon you won't need Ableton:
http://www.surrealmachines.com/products/
coming soon

dave
Hey that's great news, even as an ableton live user. M4L can be pretty unstable at times, so I'd actually prefer to have this amazing effect in standard plugin format.

another one for GS-201

hands down...
wiz1der
Hip Hop since '87
wiz1der.com

I'd suggest looking at the forthcoming Outerspace, as well as D16 Repeater (not a faithful RE201 with all the features, but a nice core tape sound), or Musical Entropy Spaceship Delay, which is free (here, again, not a RE201 clone, but a great tape echo sound with a reverb).
GS201 was my favourite for several years, but since it took so long going 64bit i tried alternatives...

the uad is plugin is pretty amazing. uad has an echoplex too that is awesome.

I know from experience that pretty much every RE-201 sounds different to the next, but Outer space would need to go into 4 x under-sampling mode just to try to match the GS-201.
Some of the feedback properties of the GS-201 sound reminiscent of an RE-201... maybe 15 years ago, when plugins were like "WOW, these Nomad Factory plugins sound ANALOG!!", but really, it sounds like a Synth Edit plugin. I'm not trying to be nasty, that's actually what it sounds like.
Outer Space on the other hand, is a rich sound, it's also very versatile in function and tone.

In regard to the reverb, the GS-201 in the mix it's fine, but there is no comparison to an RE-201. It lacks character and depth. The sound is thin, insipid... I know Outer Space isn't perfect, but to answer the question "what's the best roland tape echo emulation?" - that isn't UAD... well, just like all RE-201 units are a bit different, i'm sure there's a few that do something very similar, Slate/D16, SoundToys etc... but as far as a VST/AU emulation goes, Outer Space is the only one.

The only thing the GS-201 really has in common with an RE-201, is the GUI.

Sandman Pro can do some "tape" like delays.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Wasn't GS-201 in x64 beta since 2016?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”