AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AMD Bulldozer was never hyped like this ... No preorder hype ... Nothing .... Nope ... I think this is the real deal , we definitely will see come March 2nd ..... I guess $499 for an AMD 1800x that smokes Intel's +$1000 CPU will be unleashed ..... OC at 5.2 lolz or OMG ....

I'm still gonna wait for the reviews to come in re overclocking headroom on sane equipment. The performance for well threaded applications looks absolutely immense, but I'm waiting to see how the single threaded performance stacks up. I'm still quite dependent on that for a lot of the applications I use (not to mention my gaming habit).

8 cores and 16 threads is all well and good for heavily multithreaded applications (which IIRC standard DAW use comes under), but I spend so much time rendering audio in ancient single threaded applications like CDP and the like that it's still an important metric for me. While it can match Intel chips at stock according to the presentations, Intel chips are just so easily overclockable which adds a ton of performance for single threaded applications (not to mention multithreaded). Still rocking an i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz - rock solid, regularly stress-tested and perfectly stable for 4 years now.

Honestly though, with that insane multithreaded performance we may well see if I'm happy to make the compromise even if single threaded performance isn't particularly strong. I'll just have to wait an extra minute or two on particularly brutal CDP/FScape etc renders!

Debutante wrote:...and back ON topic... LOOK AT THIS SHITE!!!

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-world-record/
World record? Maybe I should stop checking AMD news, it's gonna be good anyway :party:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I want a dual core at 4Ghz for Mobile!

sorry to jump into this late on.

been searching for info on what to go for in my next build. was thinking the I7 7700K but suddenly halted the order looking at the new Zens.
Would probably be a 1700X if I were to go with AMD.

I purely work in the box with loads of VSTs and am not sure if the Ryzen with more cores would be better that the I7 with its higher clock. I will be using Ableton by the way.

any suggestions for me.

Thank you

wait and see, those chips aren't out yet and weren't tested in any real application.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

First batch of 1800X already sold out on Newegg and Amazon US...why didn't I order right away!?! :( ...oh wait, I don't have any money...well, back to reality...
Last edited by sempondr on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote: If you did have any clue about the "real" value of AMD, why aren't you a multi millionaire by now? :P
Or locked away for insider trading.

I hope for everyone who is buying in that they will see some serious drops on the DAW CPU metering cause I cannot recall when any CPU/machine upgrade provided the real performance boosts I was expecting, and I don't update that much leaving a nice long time in between to get at least some value and fun from the investment. It always seemed like about a 25-30pct real world increase maximum even with new faster memory, faster FSB etc. Nothing freezing 2 hungry soft synths would not achieve. (Intel user and always have been here)

Then you add a couple of instances of that new plug in you just purchased and it is back to where you were again for 3 years or longer. Not to mention the complete lack of any new inspiration or creativity occurring. After the hype and a week you forget it's a new CPU and you still have the same tools at your disposal for making a tune.

Right now I am running a 9min track project with 60 tracks thereabouts, lost count of eq, processing and effects plugins, tonnes. It is a 50/50 split between audio and soft synths. Cubase is running me 30pct ASIO ok maybe 35pct since I bunged a Serum/Phoscyon on there a few days ago. It is the most complex production I have ever worked with. This is with a Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz 8mb Cache LGA1155 old chip and on a $100.00 office PC ASUS motherboard. It is pretty lowly as a machine and CPU wise it takes everything I throw at it.

That chip was launched in 2011

Been there, done it and got the T-Shirt with CPU hype. Call me a realist or just an older guy that had experiences that did not correlate with the hype, again and again.

Just checked a few IT shopping sites, the 1800X (without bundled cooler) is 559 euros here.

Those Cinebench results are what's most important to me, as I mainly need a faster CPU for 3D rendering. Audio plugins are running fine on current PC.

Promising so far. May be looking into an 1700X for my needs.

This is the top model? Cheap, not really, 500 bucks is still a bit of money aint it?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

It is unlocked, so users can overclock it to get it to perform even harder?
Last edited by Numanoid on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numanoid wrote:This is the top model? Cheap, not really, 500 bucks is still a bit of money aint it?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

It is unlocked, so users can overclock it to get it to before even harder?
It is the top model. It is very affordable compared to Intel. AMD actually wants to get away from its reputation of making cheap stuff. Cheap is always a bit negative.
Not sure what your last sentence means...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Not sure what your last sentence means...
Quick Google search:

"CPU locking is the process of permanently setting a CPU's clock multiplier. AMD CPUs are unlocked in early editions of a model and locked in later editions, but nearly all Intel CPUs are locked and recent models are very resistant to unlocking to prevent overclocking by users."

As it is stated on NewEgg site that processor is unlocked, I take it that it can be overclocked to perform even harder than the intial specs.

All of them are unlocked. Those with X have a technology that auto overclocks if you have good cooler. About price, $500 is less than $1100 and you get the same performance, but I think the best price/performance might be 1400X.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”