The I promise I will not buy more gear-thread (HaRd MoDe 2017)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, I bought the IKM 'Fender II' collection back in November, I think. It's 'Hyper-Realistic! :D

That will have to do me. Until. Next. Year. :wheee:
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

You disappoint me, young padawan........

incubus wrote:You disappoint me, young padawan........
You sound like my departed father. :hihi:

I fought off the urge to get a new iPad today. Our current one is 5 years old, and getting a bit stuttery at times. I'm a danger to myself and my wife, lol. No €25 software for me. If it doesn't have at least 3 figures, I ain't interested! :P
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
mikebenson wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
mikebenson wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Everybody still going strong?

Any near-misses, temptations etc?
I just received a tempting email from Bitwig. "as you are one of our early adopters and a Bitwig 1.0 badge holder... you can upgrade to Bitwig Studio 2 for just 129 EUR / USD" Offer is good until April 15th. I'm thinking about using my wildcard. What should I do?
Ignite the GAS.
I see this is not a support group... :)
You are being egged on by someone who hasn't officially signed up yet :ud:

As for support: Not sure what any of us can really offer. I'm certainly not going to tell you not to buy something that you really want, or that you'd find really useful, even if you already had used your wildcard. What if you held strong, and then we all caved by mid-May?

You have your own reasons for doing this, and it's up to you to work out how far you are willing to go to do what you set out to do. On one level it's just a bit of fun. On another, it could give quite profound results.

I'm glad we went with the wildcard option. It makes for an interesting twist. However, it only works if you hold it as an absolute ruling. Why go through the whole dilemma of choosing if you succumb to more deals later in the year.

I'm not trying to guilt you out. If you think you are going to be buying this at some point anyway, and will regret missing the saving, then it's a good use of your wildcard. It's not the first use of the wildcard we've had :tu:
I'm buying the Bitwig upgrade as my wildcard. No guilt. I'm not buying anymore gear for the rest of the year, regardless of the deal.

mikebenson wrote:
mikebenson wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
mikebenson wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Everybody still going strong?

Any near-misses, temptations etc?
I just received a tempting email from Bitwig. "as you are one of our early adopters and a Bitwig 1.0 badge holder... you can upgrade to Bitwig Studio 2 for just 129 EUR / USD" Offer is good until April 15th. I'm thinking about using my wildcard. What should I do?
Ignite the GAS.
I see this is not a support group... :)
You are being egged on by someone who hasn't officially signed up yet :ud:

As for support: Not sure what any of us can really offer. I'm certainly not going to tell you not to buy something that you really want, or that you'd find really useful, even if you already had used your wildcard. What if you held strong, and then we all caved by mid-May?

You have your own reasons for doing this, and it's up to you to work out how far you are willing to go to do what you set out to do. On one level it's just a bit of fun. On another, it could give quite profound results.

I'm glad we went with the wildcard option. It makes for an interesting twist. However, it only works if you hold it as an absolute ruling. Why go through the whole dilemma of choosing if you succumb to more deals later in the year.

I'm not trying to guilt you out. If you think you are going to be buying this at some point anyway, and will regret missing the saving, then it's a good use of your wildcard. It's not the first use of the wildcard we've had :tu:
I'm buying the Bitwig upgrade as my wildcard. No guilt. I'm not buying anymore gear for the rest of the year, regardless of the deal.
Agree.
But it is difficult to pass up $10 deals.
Hey, I shop at the dollar store. :lol:

Bombadil wrote:

I fought off the urge to get a new iPad today. Our current one is 5 years old, and getting a bit stuttery at times. I'm a danger to myself and my wife, lol. No €25 software for me. If it doesn't have at least 3 figures, I ain't interested! :P
Hey, if you can afford it and it's gonna enhance your life in some way, there is no shame.

Lucky for me, my ipad is a few years old and it looks like new even though I use it all the time.

incubus wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Hey, if you can afford it and it's gonna enhance your life in some way, there is no shame.

Lucky for me, my ipad is a few years old and it looks like new even though I use it all the time.
'Afford' is such a nebulous concept. 8) We aren't rich, by any means. I am having issues with Logic Remote connectivity, and I wonder if it is because the latest update works better with ios10, and my iPad only goes to ios9.
-Henry A. Wallace

Oh, then that IS a problem. I have no idea if "10" will fix it but if it's that far behind, I understand completely.

incubus wrote:Hey, if you can afford it and it's gonna enhance your life in some way, there is no shame
unless you buy it in order to enhance your life :wheee:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

When this thread was new, I was considering to solemnly swear not to buy anything for a long, long time.

Since then I've bought a Elka OMB5 and a Novation Circuit and too many VST stuff to mention(I can't list them if I even tried to remember them all) I have no control... Somebody stop me!

gaf_thit wrote:Somebody stop me!
Pray to Saint Cecilia, the patroness of musicians :pray:
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Bombadil wrote:

I'm on iPad3, currently. Still holding on. Hoping to trade up maybe next year for a second-hand model of the forthcoming release.

With regards to this thread etc., it is about combatting g.a.s i.e buying what you want as opposed to what you need. If you truly need a new iPad, I don't see it breaking the rules.
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaf_thit wrote:When this thread was new, I was considering to solemnly swear not to buy anything for a long, long time.

Since then I've bought a Elka OMB5 and a Novation Circuit and too many VST stuff to mention(I can't list them if I even tried to remember them all) I have no control... Somebody stop me!
What would be your motivation to stop? My motivation is that I already have more than I need to make music, and I need to be more responsible with my financial future for the sake of my wife and 2 sons.

Find a proper motivation and you can stop. Also, don't "solemnly swear", just say "yes, I'll do it". ...If you want to stop, then do it, but no one is forcing you.
Last edited by mikebenson on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikebenson wrote:I'm buying the Bitwig upgrade as my wildcard. No guilt. I'm not buying anymore gear for the rest of the year, regardless of the deal.
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy :tu:

Bombadil wrote:

I'm on iPad3, currently. Still holding on. Hoping to trade up maybe next year for a second-hand model of the forthcoming release.

With regards to this thread etc., it is about combatting g.a.s i.e buying what you want as opposed to what you need. If you truly need a new iPad, I don't see it breaking the rules.
At this stage, it is more of a 'want' than a need, so I will pass for now. For me, it isn't just G.A.S., it is 'retail therapy.' And that can encompass pretty well anything. I expect we will want a new iPad sometime this year. Apple only knows how much longer they'll have headphone jacks.
-Henry A. Wallace

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”