Fingerpicks

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is no way that I can maintain fingernails suitable for guitar playing. I'm quite comfortable playing with the flesh of my fingers unamped but I really have desire for a fingerpick that I can still tap with. That also doesn't cut off my finger circulation.

I've been using Alaska Piks for a few years. Can't really down stroke with them and even after fitting and filing (yes there is a process to it) I'm still not fully satisfied with the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2hlhMQI8fg

I've also tried the Fred Kelly freedom fingerpicks.

Honestly it's easier to set up but the sides of them tend to rub against one another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6FI4k99v8

And the same thing again. Even though you can loosen the fit with a combination of first hot then cold water to adjust the pick shell to fit over your finger. Trying to get it to the easy fit and be able to tap with the flesh of the finger tip is a challenge at best.

So now I'm off to try The Ultimate Finger Pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUf8AeiMTXM

It looks very promising. I just ordered and have no idea when they will be delivered.
Last edited by tapper mike on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

FWIW, fingernails or not is a personal choice... Segovia was considered a heretic for using his fingernails until he became popular, then his way became orthodoxy. I like the immediacy of skin to string, but that's just how I feel things. Your music, your rules, ya know? That said, the Ultimate Finger Pick looks pretty sweet -- let us know how it works out for you!
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

The one thing I like about fred kelly is the ability to smoothly alternate pick with the finger(nail)

The second ring of the alaska pick always catches if I try to claw hammer/ frail.

If I could get clear crisp tone with my fingertips then I'd have no issues. That is the way I play most of the time already. But I have a yearing for better tone and faster fingerpicking.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Thanks for posting about these fingerpicks, might just give them a go myself.

So I received them yesterday and I'm just trying them out today. My main goal was to still have enough surface area on my fingertip to tap properly. My second was to be able to naturally frail/downstroke with the nail portion. The third and final issue was that it didn't pinch my fingers and cut off my circulation. One and two...jackpot. I was able to slip the fingerpick on far enough so that the nail was far back and the tip of my finger could still make solid contact with the string/fret board. Being able to seamlessly go from tapping and fingerpicking is a must for me. when using a thumbpick also being able to downstroke with the back of the nail is also a high priority. So far all good.

...Except the circulation in my fingers and the excessive rubber. These aren't your average finger cot / condom rubber gloves. They are tough and even though I ordered mediums they are tight as all get up. Plus in order to get more dexterity out of them I've had to fold back on the cot (I may just take a pair of scissors to it.. Other then that it's just a matter of adjusting my playing style. I'm trying to stretch out the rubber a bit and hoping that it will get looser in time without getting too loose.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the Ultimate Finger Pick and would suggest it to anyone.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”