waveform upgrade path?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been looking at buying T7 today but then I realised a new version called waveform has been announced. So I guess I should hold off from buying T7? I don't want to buy it today and then next week have to pay extra to get the new version. So two questions really, when will Waveforms be released? And what will price be to upgrade from T7?

Thanks
Alex
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

Not certain, but expecting upgrade path to be around $49 (based on previous upgrade prices being half the full price) and expecting Waveform on March 1st.

However: there have been occasions in the past where anyone upgrading to the previous version shortly before a new version came out would also get the new version. There has been no official mention of that, so it might be worth your while asking support@tracktion.com - otherwise the new version might be a mere week away. But that's a guess.

(apologies - typo in the support email address)
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Thanks, I've emailed them. Although I've just realised that Tracktion doesn't support MIDI Clock Sync. WTF!? If I can't use it sync'd up to my external gear then I can't use it. Is this DAW something thats more suited to just using plugins?

Does the 'Enable external MIDI Time Code chase' not work for you?
"Tracktion will follow incoming MIDI Timecode from the input designated in the timecode > MIDI time code input device menu."

AegisPrime wrote:Does the 'Enable external MIDI Time Code chase' not work for you?
"Tracktion will follow incoming MIDI Timecode from the input designated in the timecode > MIDI time code input device menu."
Is following MIDI Timecode the same as MIDI Clock Sync?

Okay I found MIDI Clock Sync but the MIDI Jitter is terrible, far worse than Ableton :(

acid alex wrote:Thanks, I've emailed them. Although I've just realised that Tracktion doesn't support MIDI Clock Sync. WTF!? If I can't use it sync'd up to my external gear then I can't use it. Is this DAW something thats more suited to just using plugins?
I forgot about the price differences when I replied, so if you do want to make a start with Tracktion before Wavefrom comes out, the free T5 will give you a lot of the flavour on things like work flow, where the commands are, how to deal with plug-ins, and much more.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I had this same question and emailed the Tracktion team on January 27, 2017. Here's the exact question I posed and the response I got the same day. (This was before I had heard about Waveform.)

Question: I've been considering upgrading from T6 to T7 soon, but I don't want to end up doing so only to find out that T8 is being released and I might have gotten a better deal. Do you know if T8 will be releasing soon, and if so, what are some fo the new features it will have? Also, what will you offer in terms of upgrade discounts to those who already have T6 and T7?

Thanks. I absolutely love Tracktion and have been using it since last Fall when I purchased a Behringer audio interface and received a free upgrade to T6. I've been using it to record my debut album, which I hope to finish soon (in between various other projects).

Response: Hi there - glad to hear you are enjoying the app

Waveform (T8) will be available approx March 1st - T7 upgrades at this stage will be updated for free to the relevant package of Waveform

Base price of Waveform is increasing to $99 - it's probably simplest to wait at this stage :)
Happy Tracktioneering
Tracktion Support Team

According to a recent forum post here, they've pushed back the release date. What I don't get is that if T7 will only cost a small upgrade fee for me, why not just do that so I can get the free upgrade to Waveform instead of "waiting at this stage"? If the base price of Waveform is going to be $99, wouldn't that make the upgrade price around $50, which is $20 more than an upgrade to T7 for only $30? Call me confused at this point. :?

Why don't you ask them that, if they're quick at getting back to you, and they're the ones with the answer?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I didn't realize I didn't mention this in my original question, so I've just sent them an email asking them. I'll post the answer here when I hear the Tracktion staff's opinion.

So here's the latest. I sent another email, as suggested by @chico.co.uk, and I pretty much used the same wording as the last paragraph of my first response on this thread on March 1st. The response I got today was this:

"You may be onto something there :)"

So what does everyone else think? Should I just go ahead and upgrade to T7? If so, will the files I've been working on in T6 automatically open in T7, or is there some sort of workaround to open them in T7?

Your T6 files will open in T7. After they've been in T7 they might not open in T6* again though, but hopefully that won't matter.

All files created in whatever version should be openable in later versions.

* Or it might be that T6 ones won't open in T5, I can't remember.

jabe wrote:Your T6 files will open in T7. After they've been in T7 they might not open in T6* again though, but hopefully that won't matter.

All files created in whatever version should be openable in later versions.

* Or it might be that T6 ones won't open in T5, I can't remember.
But how? :? As soon as you install T7, does it automatically recognize the files and place them in project folders within T7 that correspond to T6? If I do upgrade to T7, I hope the transition to Waveform will be smooth as well.

The files for a project stay where you put them. That doesn't change. What does change is that the tracktionedit file remembers which version it was last changed in. This is sometimes necessary because a newer version might add extra data that an older version wouldn't know what to do with and might lose. If you don't need to open old projects in a newer version, you could take steps to ensure you don't, perhaps by having all your T5 projects within a T5 master folder, or something, to remind you.

So your upgrade should run smoothly, but if you change a file in Waveform there remains the possibility that T7 won't know about something in the tracktionedit file (which is in XML format).

I decided to just bite the bullet and get T7. For a $30 upgrade? What was I waiting for! I opened it and it recognized my projects, files, edits, etc., from T6 just find. So simple a newbie like me could do it! The guys at TSC really know how to make the upgrade experience a seamless one. Now, for the next phase: Waveform!

Return to “Tracktion”