Single rotary encoder daw controller

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No, the other knobs run smooth, you can adjust the resolution in the Automap software, so knob movements will be as smooth as the plugin programmer made it.
Just the "Speed Dial" is constructed bad.
Yeah that's why I walked away from my Nocturn... I also fought a good time during set up.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Is here!! my unit is here and is a real orgasm use this with Bazille or anything!! :clap: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I discover this device weeks ago here and decide take the risk to order one.
Really big? I dont think so. All indicate to me the device is constructed as a solid tank, the time judge that, also when the body is all plastic feel really good, the knob is incredible accurate and is possible change the resolution also make mouse clicks. The buttons are very very useful when you take some time to program in smart way, the included maps are useless, are a kind or sort of basic demos. I not found any kind of interference with the mouse, I not use external mouse with my laptop, I think that not make difference with a external mouse. In the past I try similar solutions like powermate toys and shuttle express. No single point of comparision, this thing is really great guys.
My only complaint is the price, specially duet I have to pay expensive shipping to my country, anyway I think the invest pay itself.

Cheers!!
JMLO from Brasil.

..........not understand the pit in the KNOB, :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JMLO. Yeah i went the other way and wanted a controller that was more portable. So i went with the nobcontrol. Will post my thoughts when it gets here.

Just curious know more accuracy... Like a mouse... How was it when writing automation? Any issues with plug ins?

geqfreq wrote:JMLO. Yeah i went the other way and wanted a controller that was more portable. So i went with the nobcontrol. Will post my thoughts when it gets here.

Just curious know more accuracy... Like a mouse... How was it when writing automation? Any issues with plug ins?
Well, in first place apologize by my non perfect English, I try to explain my experience here.
I have on mind first nob device, but I'm happy with my choose now.
Before order this, I research a lot about the nob and what people said in forums like limitations, troubles or any comment.
In first place some guys report exist some troubles with some DAWs and the nob, with KM I already test, Ableton, Reason, and Studio One 3 plus large list of VST, I found 0 problem with that DAWs, I not have plan to do more tests in other DAWs. I'm working now to move all to Reason and plan use VST hosted external and connected to Reason.

Accuracy is magnificent, you can change the knob sensitivity to any value you want,from values are ridicule sensitive to faster movements, I love that and you can access at any moment to that values using one button as shift, in that way you can choose from a faster movement of the knob or a very ultra precise control on the fly. +1 for that.

What I like, this is KM my like of things list.

1- Solid construction, I think KM also when is more big is portable, fit with no trouble on my bag with my studio headphones, my Motu sound card and my MacBook Air, also I think this device support more the hard usage and transport compared to that wood material with some kind of varnish (the nob). I have some synths and device with lateral parts wood and my experience with that is not move from your studio or if need move, buy or build a proper road case.
Anyway the time judge this. KM have a soft rough finish over what prevent fingerprints on all the black surface, I celebrate that. Plastic not blend in any part, really feel solid, unit is non heavy, really very well balanced combined with great rubber legs for prevent the unit no go form one place to other.

2- Detachable USB, I already buy today a large USB wire, KM come with 1 meter detachable USB, I leave that on my bag for mobile, and buy today a 3 meter cord, what is connected now to my main production rack machine so is easy and simple unplug and re-plug the unit. I really cant believe the nob have fixed USB, I really don't know what happen when the wire fail and need a replacement, I no want to go in that risk, I no want solder or be involved in that tasks or have to resend the unit to they, that will be a mess.

3- The buttons.
When I order I think that buttons really not be useful, I'm wrong, I mapped a lot of access of features of my main DAW software and is great, the idea is you not have to move your hands from the device to keyboard and from keyboard to the device, well, that buttons are exactly that, and provide a large combi of kind of sort maps you can do. Just Bravo!

4- Workflow, based on what I read on the nob, the procedure is this:
Mouse hover a slider in your software with your mouse, then turn the knob in the device prior selection of what type of device you want control. When you finish the adjust you need release your hand of the nob, (stop touch the nob), and then move the mouse. If you not do, unexpected behavior happen.
Well in KM that work in same way, but the latest software they release just few hours ago improve that and now is more fluid, you can move the mouse without have to release (stop touch) the metal knob when you finish the adjust, really nice. Sound like no important, really is +1 for KM for this.
About updates, the software provide auto-update and also a manual install of upgrades. I like software with auto update, +1 for that.

5- MIDI, KM support shortcuts keys and also MIDI, is very useful in some non common scenarios, but for me is.

6- Comfortable, I not like the position of the Knob in the nob device, I think is too much vertical and your hand adopt some kind of claw position. In KM your hand rest over the device and with single hand access to buttons etc.

7- Stable, at the moment I pickup this I leave this connected to my rack production machine, just quit the USB power when I connect to my Mac Air, is to early to define this like stable, but are over 4 days connected.
I just want see if unit fail or stop work, not is the more advanced test lol, but this thing continue working. Anyway to early for judge this in deep way.
Sorry again stupid test, but is a test I do always now on any thing I buy after my terror experience years ago with KORG ZERO 8.
I back in few days here for report how all continue.

8- Access to custom sensitivity of the KNOB on the fly.
2 fixed values pre customized by you.

I repeat I not own the NOB, so all my judge is based on what I read on gearslutz forum and my own perception about the NOB and the unit KM I own.

Where I think both of them fit perfectly in the day by day job?

From my opinion device like this fit perfect in the stage of mix and mastering......and automation? Yes a big yes in the case fro KM!! 1000 time better than draw with your mouse.

Both devices should do ok the job, and both devices are a little expensive, anyway the amount of features of KM and not duet I own a unit, makeme think KM is really superior.
Hoppe this info be useful geqfreq and others.
Waiting now from your opinion when your device arrive to you.

I plan back here soon with more comments, just want use more the unit, and then share more.

Cheers!
Last edited by JMLO on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:52 am, edited 8 times in total.

Hi JMLO, I'm thinking about ordering a KM and I had a question that I can't get an answer on their website. Is the knob smooth when turning? Some knobs have tiny "clicks" when they turn (called detents) that I really dislike. Could you please let me know if the knob is smooth or "clicky"?

Thanks!
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:Hi JMLO, I'm thinking about ordering a KM and I had a question that I can't get an answer on their website. Is the knob smooth when turning? Some knobs have tiny "clicks" when they turn (called detents) that I really dislike. Could you please let me know if the knob is smooth or "clicky"?

Thanks!

Great question, I forgot make a comment about that, so here my number 9 of things I like of KM.

9- Knob feel like a real knob, is endless knob and offer a super soft and comfortable resistance to rotation like any real knob, no mechanical feeling, or clicks or steps, really smooth like a real knob. :clap: :clap:
The knob is metallic, with same finish and color of MacBook laptops machines, is anodized aluminum or something like that, no fingerprints or dust in the knob. Have a little border at the end, I think that is nice and good, I work a lot with older and new analogue/digital hardware gear stuff, and when knobs not have that border, you finish later or sooner scraping the front surface of the device with the constant usage, that border on the knob prevent that, your fingers never be in contact with front of the device. There is a lot of devices have knobs like that, KORG MS20 (original model and mini) as example come with that detail on their plastic knobs. I no think is a simple aesthetic detail.

The metal knob sense when you touch with your finger, and can perform clicks like a mouse in your software, I not use that feature, if that is present or not for me is the same, I make clicks from my mouse, but also that is available.

Hope this info is useful, going to sleep now!!

JMLO, thank you. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I'm about 90% convinced to get one...
Feel free to call me Brian.

JMLO, thanks man great info there. :tu: yes I will post my thoughts on Nobcontrol once I receive it. G

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”