One Synth Challenge #96: Nabla by Full Bucket (Voting Over)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nabla

edwardsm wrote:Ok will have another look im allowed to re upload track?
Yes, I think so. As far as I remember you can update as many times you like.

EDIT 26.02.2017: Added Plug-ins Usage, see below.
Have now uploaded the final Version of Track, now rendered in 96Khz / 32 Bit Float
---
Damn, after all the amazing tracks you guys posted here, I've felt I have to brush up my submission.
I've spent some time to brush it up in terms of composition - mainly cleaning things up - and in terms of mix.
Have posted an update to soundcloud, find it here, hope you like it:
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc96

---
Plug-in Usage, Vendor and Count:
16 Nabla
18 Frequency EQ (Cubase)
1 MTremolo (Meldaproduction)
3 StereoEnhancer (Cubase)
3 MUtility (Meldaproduction)
2 Magneto II (Cubase)
4 Distortion (Cubase, just gentle for the Drums)
1 MAutoPan (Meldaproduction)
6 Compressor (Cubase)
1 Limiter (Cubase)
1 MStereoExpander (Cubase)
3 EnvelopeShaper (Cubase)
2 StereoDelay (Cubase)
1 MonoDelay (Cubase)
2 REVelation Reverb (Cubase)
1 Reverence Reverb (Cubase)
2 MultibandCompressor (Cubase)
2 MCompressor (Meldaproduction)
1 Maximizer (Cubase)
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Well I'm a little embarrassed and flattered to see my track suggested as a mixing benchmark. :oops: While I'm more than happy to share details of my mixing and master bus gain staging (MJUC Jr for gentle lift and Limiter No6 to slam it, basically, this month anyway), please bear in mind that I usually finish in ~34th place, so my approach may not be the best model... :scared:

Also, along with several others in the OSC, I use this TT-DR meter to measure my Dynamic Range, which incorporates RMS and peak into its rating. http://www.dynamicrange.de/es/es/download

I find with DR <=4 you'll get comments that your track is "too hot" and if it's > 11 the mix might be too quiet to sound 'pro', although what's ideal depends on genre etc. While pro EDM tracks are typically DR4, lately I've been aiming for DR8 as nobody complains about loudness at that level; comments tend to focus more on the music, which is where I'm actively trying to improve.
] Peter:H [ wrote:
edwardsm wrote:Here is my entry:
Nice track, I like it.
My I suggest something. Could be my listening environment, but I would like to suggest, that you try to adjust the mixing a bit in favour of mids and hights and reduce the basedrum slightly.
Audacity (the free Wav-Editor) tells me that your track has only -26 DB RMS (A-weigthed) whereas the Track CarbonDioxid has -12. You could just go and compare your tracks waveform - a lot of peaks and less sound inbetween - to what the track CarbonDioxid looks in the editor, it's far more compact. I think you could use a compressor or limiter on your basedrum and some gentle maximizer in your sum track...

Hi all,

This synth was one of those which surprises me with its versatility. At first glance it seems a bit simple. But there is enough potential for a lot of different sounds. Especially when I found the hidden paramters for the ensemble effect I could create realy nice strings. And the filters allowed me to create some decent percussion sounds!

I put all my presets for download on the KVR site:
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nabla- ... /downloads

https://soundcloud.com/photonic-1/photonic-footsteps

43 instances of Nabla in Reaper v5.33

Dynamics: GClip, ReaComp, ReaXComp, Bittersweet II, FerricDTS, TDR Feedback Compressor, TDR Nova
Filter: ReaEQ, MQ57
Delays: Ixox Delay
Reverb: TALRev4, TALRevIII, Sandford Reverb
Satturation: QX24, Boogex
Stereo: GStereo, MidSideMangler
Analyzer: Span, TT Dynamic Range Meter

Dynamik Range according TT Dynamic Range Meter: DR=11
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

really nice work Photonic, the best sound design I heard with Nabla (my opinion), I just think the mix is begging for a little more treble. But I understand if you're trying to achieve that 80s sound where the treble wasn't emphasized

Thanke you phace!

After reading your comment, I immediately rechecked my mix and I have to admit - you are right!
Thank you very much for this useful and competent comment. :tu:
I adjustied the master-EQ. I hope it is OK now?!
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

yes that's better now

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/fullbucke ... vraudio-96

12 instances of Nabla
Nuendo v2.2
IL minihost modular
Tonespace
Arto Vaarala Kirnu
Ambience reverb
Camel phat free*2
Voxengo. Tube amp *4
Voxengo old school verb
Magneto
Tesslapro
Limiter6
SonEQ
ThrillseekerLA
George Yohngs W1 limter
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

phace wrote:yes that's better now
Sounded great to me, so I must have got it just after you had made the mods ... as I said, really great mix. Liked!! :tu:
dB

OK - since so many great tracks and sounds designs bave been posted already, :clap: I decided to re-work my track. Also, I have my brand new ears and can actually hear things now too :dog: :phones:

The solo instrument has been re-designed from scratch and now makes use of the ensemble fx and the phaser. Some of the perc has been redone as well. Also, track mix is a bit more "lively" and is now DR 12. :tu:

I hope you like the changes. Comments and advice most welcome of course.

[Oh yes, Frostline - just for you, hope you like liking/following the bass lines (hehe!). :party: ]

dB
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... sc96-nabla

Hi

Carl_saved ... PM'd you with a different take on the mix ...

dB

Ah, Taron’s “passionate loathing.” It’s actually great to see so much feedback flying around. It makes me want to work extra hard to post early.

Dee.P.Tree, You can use Reaper's ReaControlMidi instead of a midi controller. Place it before the synth in the chain, because it's a midi effect. If you aren't using reaper you can download the Reaplugs, which also has it. Select the "Enable" checkbox and I suggest choosing mod wheel for the 4th slider, then saving that as default. The pitch slider does not snap to center, which actually has its benefits.

Phace, no need to worry about saving.. face. Posting my strange tracks here hasn't ever been any more embarrassing than striding through downtown naked, and I don't think I'd learn as much useful info by doing that.

Carl_saved, for sidechaining lately I either run a simple 2 bus setup into the master, one being the kick and the other having a dynamic eq sidechain weighted towards the sub and bass. You can do this with something like TDR Nova. Otherwise I just throw together the standard 3 bus style sidechain, one for the sub, one for the bass, and one for the rest - each one being progressively lighter.

Yes, Bigkixdippa is a solid free Lfo Tool alternative but for me it randomly stops working and the preset I made has to be reloaded, whereas tal filter 2 is a reliable workhorse. Set tal filter 2 to Volume and x16 for 4-to-the-floor beats, then draw a scoop and save your presets. I wish Tal filter 2 had a phase control to move the envelope like dippa does.

Ghost kicks are not as effective or flexible as those tools, in my experience. For a pumping effect, even a tremolo like pecheneg or an lfo controlled filter like hy-filter2 might work much better, especially since you can automate them.

Here's my question: Why aren’t the hidden midi cc's in the .ini or being influenced by my cc commands? :help: The ensemble effect level is too high IMO. It would be great to have the hidden controls on the UI, but if you use Reaper (and you should :hihi: ) you can just click the UI button and scroll down to where it says Ens to cool it.

In this demo video Katsunori UJIIE shows the smooth sound of the original Korg Delta string section at ~7m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJWhRSI1Z34
I'd also love it if the added Nabla phaser had a stereo switch.
(Katsunori UJIIE makes a great point in the video about how the simplicity of synths of this generation necessitated effects like chorus and delay, and I would really like to see an acceptance of basic chorus effects in KVR OSC, as chorus is a standard studio and live stereo width solution. Obviously excessive feedback amounts would not be appropriate, but chorus is a huge time and cpu resource saver compared to manually duplicating and panning each manual-chorus voice of the synth and using channel delayers and pitch bend modulation etc etc..)

Agreed, it'd be cool if Full Bucket could add a "back panel" UI for the hidden parameters, maybe with the knobs styled as trim pots. Or do something like Martin L's newer PG-8x does for its parameters that aren't direct analogs of hardware sliders. Feature Request!

Thanks 574X, i'll try it out..!!

psmacmur wrote:Agreed, it'd be cool if Full Bucket could add a "back panel" UI for the hidden parameters, maybe with the knobs styled as trim pots. Or do something like Martin L's newer PG-8x does for its parameters that aren't direct analogs of hardware sliders. Feature Request!
Until that happens, you can probably switch the plugin to the "generic gui". Don't know whether that feature is supported in every DAW, but in cubase it is. In contrast to the "plugin gui" the generic gui contains all parameters that are availabe for automation...

Cheers
] Peter:H [

Return to “Instruments”