Studio One 3, new-ish Macs, and pathetic CPU behavior - is it just me ??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

But hey, it CAN'T be their fault, right? I mean, 10 (or maybe fewer now) people troll around saying how perfect it is.......(sarcasm)

One thing I do know, they don't care. Years ago when Eike was with them they gave a rats. But eventually that went into the shit-can and they think it's unicorns and pixie dust and and everyone else can be damned.

Unstable here allso, with lots of cpu peaks/spikes
I'm on Windows 10

If enough people post about it, there maybe is a chance to wake up Presonus
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Sorry to be a jerk, but not until they realize that the 10'ish people that don't have a problem are NOT the most important.

billcarroll wrote:Studio One v3 actually outperforms Cubase on my MacBook Pro. Crazy.

In other news, I installed the 3.3.3 update and now Studio One can't seem to locate a number of plugin alliance plugins in existing projects, like bx_digital v3, along with bx_Saturator v2, and SPL Transient Designer plus, and SPL TwinTube.

It appears the affected plugins are all vst3.
Sorry to be off-topic, but I have this problem too. S1 3.3.3 update and it couldn't find any of my plugin-alliance plugins. A later rescan and they showed up, but I think they might only be the VST3 versions. Raised a ticket with PA thinking it was a plugin issue, but from what you are saying, must be a problem with the latest S1 update. Just for the record am on Windows 10.

jancivil wrote:well, when I posted, 512. Now, 128, same performance, I'm not having any breakage.
Wow, same performance when using 512 or 128. What PC are you using cuz I want one of these?! :lol: :dog:

incubus wrote:Sorry to be a jerk, but not until they realize that the 10'ish people that don't have a problem are NOT the most important.
It's ok, I am guessing Presonus hurt you on a personal level and you need to post in every thread about S1, restating the same thing several times over, about every 4th or 5th post of the thread.

It doesn't make you are a jerk, just a human who's hurting and needs validation.

And we're here for you. :hug:

/passiveaggressive
:hihi:

OK, i will post something a little different about Presonus then, just so it isn't the same thing over and over for you.
Decided it was time to sell my licence of S1 3 Pro (Bought in the 2015 charity auction, and not listed as NFR, and wasn't NFR in my account when i purchased it)
And Presonus have now decided that it is NFR and can't be sold, so after they have given FULL licences to a charity auction, they have decided over a year later that "No, we are going to make that NFR now"
Lets see if i even get a reply to my ticket about it haha
Duh

To be fair on this, they say they made a mistake and gave me a new code immediately, so while i can complain about Presonus, they were outstanding in this case ;)
Duh

ontol wrote:
incubus wrote:Sorry to be a jerk, but not until they realize that the 10'ish people that don't have a problem are NOT the most important.
It's ok, I am guessing Presonus hurt you on a personal level and you need to post in every thread about S1, restating the same thing several times over, about every 4th or 5th post of the thread.

It doesn't make you are a jerk, just a human who's hurting and needs validation.

And we're here for you. :hug:

/passiveaggressive
:hihi:
ha ha........ha..........ha. (sarcasm)

Though you were trying to be funny, I don't really care anymore "personally" because I don't/will never use the product again.

However, I am a buyer's-rights advocate. But hey, we live in a world where 2 + 2 = whatthefkeverwewant so people will convince themselves of anything.

I've never said that people can't get on with it, but there are WAY too many people on two different platforms complaining about the same exact thing to ignore it.

Or, troll hi....incubus. It's up to you (whomever)

mholloway wrote:So I have a 2015 MBP and a 2016 iMac.

I use Ableton Live regularly on both without any CPU issues, including building my massive, plugin-intensive industrial songs and other projects.

Ok. I also have Studio One V. 3 installed on both systems. And it's not good.

The main problem (though there are others, but I'll stick to one issue for now!), which occurs on BOTH computers: just clicking on a track, any track, makes the CPU meter jump up. Even in an empty session, even with the audio interface (komplete audio) disconnected. In a session with a bunch of stuff, the spikes just from clicking on tracks go way up, as much as 25-40%, and can cause an overload.

I've been in a back and forth with Presonus tech support for three weeks. They had me try a few things, none of which changed anything. Yesterday, the tech guy (who writes to me about every 3 or 4 days, fwiw) said:

"I can't replicate this on my Mac and nobody else but you is reporting this problem." He had no further advice or troubleshooting to provide, and I haven't heard from him since.

So essentially Presonus tech support is telling me: As far as we are concerned this problem doesn't exist, except for you, so uh, too bad for you.

Except this behavior is IDENTICAL on TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS.

There's just no way that's coincidence. Which is why I'm here, describing the problem, to ask if any Mac users out there running S1V3 (current version) on 2015 or later macs (and yes of course I have 16gig RAM, 4ghz i7 processor) are seeing this behavior.

So, Mac and Studio 1 people:

1. what Block Size do you use?
2. do you get CPU spikes when clicking on tracks? In an empty session? In a song-in-progess session?

The smaller the block size, the worse the spikes are. The higher the block size, they start to go away (but this is at sizes with huge latency where recording would be impossible). So clearly the spikes correspond with the general CPU usage as well. But given that I'm talking about EMPTY sessions here, this isn't a case of me running to much stuff, etc.

Please let me know your experience, thank you. It's not fun being given up on by a company's tech support!

-Michael
Exactly same behaviour.
I think first is something related to my Mac Book Air, is not really powerfull, but then we test on a MBP 2015 I7 MID 2015, exactly the same happen!!
Really frustrating and no any solution from support team. :x

Studio one V3 is the worst DAW ever made for Osx , yeah there is CPU spike , it is very unstable , It crash and corrupt project.

I remember when i upgraded to v3 , waves plugins (and a lot of other) crashed everytime i open / move a GUI , when i go to support i have seen a few people who were having the same problem and presonus said : ' It is not S1V3 problem it is plugin / osx problem , they said it was because of graphic card / driver problem '
When i have tell to support than he can't be because my MAC is a factory config (not build piece per piece) they said : ' it's a graphic card problem'..

I can give my advice : SELL THIS PIECE OF CRAP and go to another DAW.

After 5 year with S1 i go back to Cubase and Bitwig , you know what ?

NO MORE CRASH , NO MORE SPIKE , NO MORE CORRUPTED PROJECT

S1v3 is an ultimate DAW on the paper , but it work like a poor coded shareware

I think is good DAW, but until they not fix the troubles is really non usable.
I just testing and feel really non stable, CPU spikes are the major troubles.
I use Ableton with reason rewired, but plan now move to Reason stand alone if find the way to properly host and connect some VST with reason.
Ableton also have some recurrent crashes, so i decide start try Reason stand alone, and wow! is solid like a rock, now need to solve the VST host and I think I continue under Reason as my main DAW.
For sure i like the interface of Studio One, but I think is enough test for me, this night SO3 push the limits of my patience.

My advice to you guys, don't trust the CPU/DSP meter in Studio One. It's acting weird, with a few plugins will show lots of load but as you add more it doesn't seem to struggle as you'd expect. Also make sure you're not using small buffers like 64/128, I've seen someone had lots of spikes with low buffer size. Would be nice if you can hide that meter. Sure, it's a problem that needs to be addressed by PreSonus.

Anyway, I must admit it overloads the CPU a little more faster than other DAWs since plugins seems to use one core and if you add one that requires a lot of CPU power, it will load only one core to death. They need to make it spread the load on all cores. Hope they do that in v3.5. Also keep in mind that CPU meter in Studio One shows the core with highest load, not overall load on the CPU.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:Also make sure you're not using small buffers like 64/128, I've seen someone had lots of spikes with low buffer size.

I have to use 128 -- anything higher means latency when recording guitar, vocals, etc. I'd have to test but I think I even noticed latency on some synths with a buffer bigger than 128. I use NI Komplete Audio 6 as my interface, the issue is not there, it's with Studio One.

No DAW should require that your buffer be greater than 128!

nIGhT-SoN wrote:My advice to you guys, don't trust the CPU/DSP meter in Studio One. It's acting weird, with a few plugins will show lots of load but as you add more it doesn't seem to struggle as you'd expect.

This thought has occurred to me -- that maybe the issue (as originally described in the OP) isn't actual CPU spikes, but that S1's CPU meters are just wildly inaccurate and show excessive activity.

In sessions with lots of plugins / effects / activity, the usual signs of 'true' CPU spiking aren't actually occurring (so far). Which suggests that you might be right, and the primary issue here is a faulty / inaccurate CPU meter.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”