Gamechanger - New AMD CPUs

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:...
The problem is, if you don't call it gamechanger, noone will get a boner. So everything has to be a gamechanger these days. Not sure what the next thing will be. Maybe worldchanger. After that, galaxychanger. Then, universechanger. Then a black hole will appear and eat us all. Or so.
Why not gamechanger... setchanger... matchchanger

So stoked to build another AMD rig again. Last one I did was back in 2006 with an x2 4400. This should bring down Intel prices too which is good for everyone. Happy times.

DubLifeSD wrote:This should bring down Intel prices too which is good for everyone.
Probably not good for those 100,000+ workers at Intel :neutral:

Seems the price-performance ratio is indeed amazing comparing to intel, but is it a game changer? im not sure.

AMD GPUs were always a win price-performance ratio and basicly always has been beating NVIDIA but still a bigger crowd of users just choosing NVIDIAs.

Ryzen 7 is definatly a huge competition to Sky Lake and it will be interesting to see where it goes. On the other hand a funny thing about AMD cpus are that they are so powerful so fast but in real-life solutions off the benchmarks those CPUs are performing worse then Intels equivalents. So i am not 100 percent convinced until i see more :)

Intel was always better for multimedia applications, that's why many switched from AMD to Intel IMO.
I don't know if I would try AMD again... Gamechanger? Not really. The pure specs and synthetic benchmarks showing only that they are now on par with Intel Skylake but for a lower price.

It needs some real DAW Benchmarks.

4damind wrote:Intel was always better for multimedia applications, that's why many switched from AMD to Intel IMO.
I don't know if I would try AMD again... Gamechanger? Not really. The pure specs and synthetic benchmarks showing only that they are now on par with Intel Skylake but for a lower price.

It needs some real DAW Benchmarks.
It will definitely need to be seen, but the 1700 looks promising. (8 cores for $300-ish.) That's the sweet spot for me for price/performance.

It will still need to be a real upgrade though, as I've been sticking with Intel chipsets and CPUs for years now, and have cloned my drive numerous times and stuck with the same Windows 7 install from nearly the beginning. (In fact, I still have XP 32 and XP 64 partitions on this drive. :dog: ) An AMD CPU and chipset will require me to do a fresh install. If they want me to spend a day or two getting everything back the way I like it.. it better be *damned* fast. :lol:
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

I'm wondering how well these CPUs work together with their Graphics chips.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I'm wondering how well these CPUs work together with their Graphics chips.
I'm pretty sure they were using their own cards for most of their testing. :lol:

That said, I've been using ATI/AMD cards for a while now. Never had any problems with them, but I'm just using them to put things on a pair of screens, and manufacturers always had silent cards with those chipsets for less than $50.

Dominus wrote: An AMD CPU and chipset will require me to do a fresh install.

Not since Windows 7 came out!

Kaine wrote:
Dominus wrote: An AMD CPU and chipset will require me to do a fresh install.

Not since Windows 7 came out!
You're right, I could dick around and change to a generic hard drive controller before swapping the mainboard, but since I haven't done a fresh install *since* Windows 7 came out, it's an excuse to.

Like I said, I still have XP 32 and XP 64 partitions on the drive, from my earlier dual boot days.

I've heard that new AMD and Intel CPUs won't work on Windows 7 anymore. I've read somewhere that AMD would release drivers for Win7 but only for Enterprise one or something like that.

LE: http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-the ... windows-7/
Last edited by nIGhT-SoN on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nIGhT-SoN wrote:I've heard that new AMD and Intel CPUs won't work on Windows 7 anymore. I've read somewhere that AMD would release drivers for Win7 but only for Enterprise one or something like that.
It's not a CPU working on a system, but a system working on a CPU.

And yes, better stay to official info. AMD knows best if they are going to release win7 drivers or not.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Just added the link where AMD confirms that Ryzen won't be supported on Windows 7 or earlier. Only Windows 10 and of course Linux... :D

nIGhT-SoN wrote:I've heard that new AMD and Intel CPUs won't work on Windows 7 anymore. I've read somewhere that AMD would release drivers for Win7 but only for Enterprise one or something like that.

LE: http://www.pcgamer.com/amd-confirms-the ... windows-7/
Well, I'm out. :evil:

Congratulations AMD. I've used your CPUs on and off since the 486 days. This is a deal breaker.

Intel does the same so every new cpu, either from Intel or AMD, you'll have to use Windows 10, if you want windows platform.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”