Windows10 is the worst software creation ever.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I decided to stay with Windows 7 and I'm happy that it still works like a charm. Third party browser, third party antivirus etc. If one day I'll run into trouble because of new software/drivers that won't work anymore I'll see what I will do from that point of time.

For me personally W10 is little bit "too much" for my needs and I dislike the fact I get less control over my system and private info with every big update as it seems. I also deleted my Facebook account, because I felt the same way about it.

But.. I do have an android smartphone.. although I don't really use many Google services, but still, every app/component gets regular updates and it's really hard to keep track what the updates involve and what permissions of my phone they desire.

Is MacOS and iPhone OS the same in that regard?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I'm using three computers with Win 10, and three with Win 7

I prefer Win 7 for the hands-on-ness, but Win 10 scores in occuping a lot less harddrive space.

Nielzie wrote:I decided to stay with Windows 7 and I'm happy that it still works like a charm. Third party browser, third party antivirus etc. If one day I'll run into trouble because of new software/drivers that won't work anymore I'll see what I will do from that point of time.

For me personally W10 is little bit "too much" for my needs and I dislike the fact I get less control over my system and private info with every big update as it seems. I also deleted my Facebook account, because I felt the same way about it.

But.. I do have an android smartphone.. although I don't really use many Google services, but still, every app/component gets regular updates and it's really hard to keep track what the updates involve and what permissions of my phone they desire.

Is MacOS and iPhone OS the same in that regard?
My ipad isn't as update happy if that is what you mean. My android is pretty update oriented but I only use that for a few things. My home computer, once I get it set up the way I want, I want it left alone.

It is a bit much. On one hand I like doing the mundane on my ipad but it has it's drawbacks too.

Nielzie wrote:I decided to stay with Windows 7 and I'm happy that it still works like a charm. Third party browser, third party antivirus etc. If one day I'll run into trouble because of new software/drivers that won't work anymore I'll see what I will do from that point of time.
Unlikely to occur for next 5 years. Stay with it, it's less of a backdoor than WIn10 is.

I was resistant to windows 10, but I'm a happy user now, both my studio computer and live laptop are running windows 10. There was a bit of a leaning curve, but yeah it's good now.

I do agree that there's a lot of unnecessary features and bloat, but that's just the same as any technology, I'm into photography as well, DSLR cameras just come with sooooo many tacky features that no one who's serious is going to care about, the only thing that really matters is stability, quality and reliability, there's never a lot of focus on those important things, the marketing's always just based around the quantity of gimmicky features.

an-electric-heart wrote:I was resistant to windows 10, but I'm a happy user now, both my studio computer and live laptop are running windows 10. There was a bit of a leaning curve, but yeah it's good now.

I do agree that there's a lot of unnecessary features and bloat, but that's just the same as any technology, I'm into photography as well, DSLR cameras just come with sooooo many tacky features that no one who's serious is going to care about, the only thing that really matters is stability, quality and reliability, there's never a lot of focus on those important things, the marketing's always just based around the quantity of gimmicky features.
I believe there's a cognitive bias that creeps into software developement, because Bill Gates was saying the same thing that MS say now - all users want is new features. I think the truth is, the silent (and usually less technologically-advanced) majority of users just want stability, simplicity, and speed. A vocal minority want new features. Sadly, companies only hear from the vocal minority (who are usually more tech-savvy) and don't grasp the obvious.

metamorphosis wrote:the silent (and usually less technologically-advanced) majority of users just want stability, simplicity, and speed. A vocal minority want new features. Sadly, companies only hear from the vocal minority (who are usually more tech-savvy) and don't grasp the obvious.
+10

Couldn't agree more.

No updates in a few weeks, I'm afraid......very afraid........

I avoided it for a good long while (after being on Vista since about 2009) and... I now think it's the bees knees basically. For me, it's been the most 'transparent' OS ever - in that it just works with everything I'm doing with it and it seems to finally have that 'cohesion' that's been lacking in the past. I've gotten comfortable with the OS 'experience' now - news feeds in my home menu; notifications popping up when I'm working.. I don't actually mind that stuff now - and it all seems to work pretty seamlessly - nothings gone wrong or messed up anything. All my drivers work fine, all my plugins work fine. There's still shitty software of course (gobbler - looking at you) but 99% of W10 experience has been stellar.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

i used to thing Windows 7 was the best, most transparent operating system ever, but now that i've been using Windows 10, all my music software is much faster. and using the Windows 7 Shell keeps everything looking not like Windows 8 (which looks stupid to me). there have been a few times that i have been pretty POd by a Windows 10 update, but overall, smooth sailing
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

The most hilarious thread for a long time. :clap: :lol:

Though Windows 10 is a pile of s... :shrug:
No signature here!

andrejones wrote:Windows Vista was way worse than Windows 10! :P
And ME before :shrug:

I kinda liked Windows 3.1 though

I resisted moving my own DAW computer from W7 to W10 for the longest time, but eventually decided to do it after installing/using it on my son's computer and our floater laptop for a few months. At first, I liked it, but as time has gone by, I find myself facing more and more problems with it (running slow, unable to get low latency consistently on all DAWs, losing the network connection, constantly finding new annoyances that need to be disabled, etc.) and I can't seem to ever pinpoint the problem the way I could with W7. It's making me wish I had never "upgraded" from W7.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

this thread is like old KVR Mac Vs. PC threads.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”