Ballade/Fantaisie op.4 by Jérémie Lhomme

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,

I'm Jérémie. I posted my music a few times on this forum. Here's my last composition. It's a piano piece.

https://soundcloud.com/j-r-mie-lhomme/b ... tasia-op-4

Hoping to get some feedbacks.

Have a nice day and, thank you for listening! :)

Hi Jérémie,
I really enjoyed listening to this; some lovely 'Gershwin-esque' moments in those rhythms and well-judged extended harmonies - especially in the first section.

Middle goes seriously Rachmaninov at times - again very effective, but quite a change of direction!

It definitely took me on a journey and then brought me home again...some very subtle jazz touches in those closing bars that hint back to the opening.

A possible criticism would be continuity - that the various sections don't quite belong together?
Personally, (on balance) I reject this...I think you've blended them quite successfully, but I can hear how other listeners might not agree.

ChamMusic wrote:Hi Jérémie,
I really enjoyed listening to this; some lovely 'Gershwin-esque' moments in those rhythms and well-judged extended harmonies - especially in the first section.

Middle goes seriously Rachmaninov at times - again very effective, but quite a change of direction!

It definitely took me on a journey and then brought me home again...some very subtle jazz touches in those closing bars that hint back to the opening.

A possible criticism would be continuity - that the various sections don't quite belong together?
Personally, (on balance) I reject this...I think you've blended them quite successfully, but I can hear how other listeners might not agree.
Thank you very much for taking the time to both listen and reply! :)

I really appreciate what you said. The jazz touches in those closing bars were indeed meant to hint back to the opening.

I also think that the various sections might shock a few ears haha but I'm really happy that you thought it was done successfully! :)

The references you made to Gershwin and Rachmaninov are really interesting to me because they are not composers I listen to a lot. Maybe I should! :)

I agree pretty wholeheartedly with this except the end - I actually do think the sections are a little too different from each other! The transition from the very jazzy beginning to the romantic middle is done smoothly, but on the whole it's a little strange to have such triadic harmony after the tone established at the beginning. Even just adding some embellishing tones into the middle section could help it feel a little more continuous.

nineofkings wrote:

I agree pretty wholeheartedly with this except the end - I actually do think the sections are a little too different from each other! The transition from the very jazzy beginning to the romantic middle is done smoothly, but on the whole it's a little strange to have such triadic harmony after the tone established at the beginning. Even just adding some embellishing tones into the middle section could help it feel a little more continuous.
Thank you for the comment! I'm taking note of that! :)

I hear lots of influences in there but at this point it's practically unavoidable since I grew up listening to lots of the old Jazz and fusion pianists of the 1960s and 70s--Horace Silver, Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Paul Bley, etc. And those guys were strongly influenced by the Romantics and Impressionists, as well as Duke, Tatum, Monk and the rest of the jazz tradition.

I tend to like the way it all came together. :tu:

I enjoyed your piano music. It does bounce around some with styles. I have the feeling that you're playing back ideas you've heard and creating a musical collage while trying to be creative with it. This is a fine approach to music although if possible one can also have the influences in their heart but clear it from their mind and eventually create their own distinct style.

rp314 wrote:I hear lots of influences in there but at this point it's practically unavoidable since I grew up listening to lots of the old Jazz and fusion pianists of the 1960s and 70s--Horace Silver, Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Paul Bley, etc. And those guys were strongly influenced by the Romantics and Impressionists, as well as Duke, Tatum, Monk and the rest of the jazz tradition.

I tend to like the way it all came together. :tu:

Really interesting! I don't know their work that much but I will 100% sure check it out! Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you like it!

fastlanephil wrote:I enjoyed your piano music. It does bounce around some with styles. I have the feeling that you're playing back ideas you've heard and creating a musical collage while trying to be creative with it. This is a fine approach to music although if possible one can also have the influences in their heart but clear it from their mind and eventually create their own distinct style.
This is really not my composing process but, it's interesting to know how you perceived it. Thank you for your feedback!

Great track. Like your other listeners here, I think you bounce around a fair bit stylistically. Sometimes it's more jazzy, and sometimes it's much more in keeping with the music of somebody like Yann Tiersen. In fact, I'd say that it is predominantly in that latter style, with some jazzy touches here and there. But there's nothing wrong with that! I really enjoyed listening to it (twice, in fact).

davidstiles wrote:Great track. Like your other listeners here, I think you bounce around a fair bit stylistically. Sometimes it's more jazzy, and sometimes it's much more in keeping with the music of somebody like Yann Tiersen. In fact, I'd say that it is predominantly in that latter style, with some jazzy touches here and there. But there's nothing wrong with that! I really enjoyed listening to it (twice, in fact).
Thank you very much for your comment! :) I'm glad you liked it.

I checked your Soundcloud and must say that I enjoyed it.

Best regards,

Return to “Music Cafe”