Hello, is this normal for studio one on mac?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I'm on windows 8, and i recently talked a colleague into studio 1, so we could collaborate and exchange projects. But she has a macintosh. She's having horrible performance issues, and her mac is at least as powerful as my computer, yet she can not play back any of my projects!

Is this a known performance issue with Studio one on mac, or is this an anomaly?

we are both using an interface called an RME babyface II. She tried raising buffers but it didn't help much.

The performance meter is spiking all over the place. This is a very old friend that I want to be able to share projects with, so if Studio one is the problem, what program runs well on mac, that also has a windows version? I come from hardware, and studio one works well on my computer, but I don't know much about other sequencers.
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

You're not the only one to experience this, I have a RME interface too but it still is one of the worst performing of my hosts. A well optimised cross platform host would be Reaper (or Cubase but expensive).

are your drivers updated?

hi, drivers all up to date.. thanks for the replies.

Amused, both of us demoed reaper and didn't like the workflow or complexity.

ditto for pro tools.

Rita loves logic but that's mac only.

Any cubase performance issues on mac? That may be an option.

6 core PC here, same chip generation as her 8 cote 3ghz mac pro (small trashcan style).
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

Is wifi disabled ?

I don't use a Mac, but it sounds like the difference is the performance of the other machine.

I know with windows there are various guides designed for you to tweak windows in such a way as to get the maximum performance from given hardware, eg you can google "optimize your PC for audio recording", and a number of places offer such guides, and include such things as mentioned such as turning off WiFi, setting the machine to prioritize "background services" etc.

Is there something similar for a Mac? Is there guides that can get you to tweak the other Mac? That may end up giving you similar performance, and given that you say the specs are pretty much the same, then that must be the difference.

Edit - I just re-read your post, and I will add that Studio One is "known" for having more performance issues on Macs as opposed to Windows. The hardware may be as good on the Mac compared to your Windows, but I suspect that for whatever reason, the codebase for Studio One on the Mac platform may not be as optimized, or it has issues around the platform implementation, that results in Studio One not performing as well on Macs as it does on Windows.

Hello again and thanks everyone for your replies. I also located another topic here that is all about poor performance with Studio one.
This topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=475133

It seems we are definitely not alone. Much more information here and helpful replies then there are at the official presonus forum!

After a short 6 months into my first DAW venture, I am leaving studio one (is there a legal way to sell this? Presonus haven't answered me).

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have spent the last couple of weeks trying alternatives with my friend. Logic performs so well for her, and after spending time with it myself, it seems so powerful and easy to use, that I am investing in a macbook and Logic. She loaned me her older macbook for the two weeks and we did some collaboration work, and there hasn't been a single crash in Logic itself so far. It also seems I can run a lot of virtual plugins, even on this 3 year old mac, before any performance issue presents itself.
I have to return this macbook now and order one for myself for the first time in my life.

We considered Cubase so I could stay on windows, but I don't like the idea of having to have a usb device plugged in at all times to use the software. I already have one called ilok for a reverb plugin, and that itself is annoying for portable use. I really don't want to add a second different device, even though Cubase seems like very powerful software.

I'm going to order a macbook pro, even the cheapest base model (of the 15" range), seems plenty powerful. It was such a difficult decision to move to an entirely new platform, but i'm going for it!

Can anyone recommend some good logic specific resources on the internet? I have spent much of the last year learning studio one, and I want to buckle down and learn every aspect of logic in a faster time than it took me to learn Studio one. Any good tutorials or sites in particular that have quality information? I have the basics covered, but I'd like to get up to speed on all of it's advanced features asap.

Amelia70 wrote:(is there a legal way to sell this? Presonus haven't answered me).
You can legally resell Studio One, they do allow it. I have never tried, so I don't know the process, but you can resell it, that I know.
Amelia70 wrote:Can anyone recommend some good logic specific resources on the internet?
There are probably quite a few places. Do a google search and you will get other places that teach logic. Here are a couple I know of:
https://www.macprovideo.com/logic/
https://www.groove3.com/

I'm slowly wondering which DAW actually performs well on Mac OS X... Reason supposedly performs like cr** on Mac OS X too.

Logic

chk071 wrote:I'm slowly wondering which DAW actually performs well on Mac OS X...
One that is coded by someone who knows how to code for it, so from top of my head Logic, Reaper and Cubase, guess there are more, but I'm not familiar with them, these are all good OS X performers right now, not so much in the recent past, but they finally managed to learn how to do it properly.

Which again, isn't that easy, there's thread in DSP forum, seems Apple didn't documented everything and some stuff changes all the time, so they can't keep up with it that easily, but overall, lack of knowledge is main culprit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjU3ISBeTFo
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
chk071 wrote:I'm slowly wondering which DAW actually performs well on Mac OS X...
One that is coded by someone who knows how to code for it, so from top of my head Logic, Reaper and Cubase, guess there are more, but I'm not familiar with them, these are all good OS X performers right now, not so much in the recent past, but they finally managed to learn how to do it properly.
Reason? :P

chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Reason? :P
Don't know about Reason, I think I opened that DAW's demo twice in my life for few minutes. :)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I don't know either, but, over at Reasontalk, there's two people who plan to install Windows on their Macbook, because, obviously, the performance in Reason is not bearable on Mac OS X. And that's one host which has always been extremely performant, and light on ressources.

chk071 wrote:I'm slowly wondering which DAW actually performs well on Mac OS X... Reason supposedly performs like cr** on Mac OS X too.
what's that?

We tried reaper but neither could feel comfortable with the workflow.

Studio one, Logic and Cubase all seem to have very similar workflow.

I've been told that Cubase performs well on mac, which is why we looked at it, but when we realised we needed an external device just to demo the full version of it, we declined.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”