Studio One 3, new-ish Macs, and pathetic CPU behavior - is it just me ??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I usually do direct monitoring and I can use higher latency, like 10-12ms (because I have an old interface with old bad drivers E-MU 0404 USB) which when playing keys it doesn't feel like it's dragging me, maybe I got used to it. There was a guy that was streaming on twitch and he was starting with 64 blocks buffer size and he could add a lot of tracks and plugins, but I don't know what CPU he had. Also he was running Windows 10, if that may help. He was increasing it to 128 over time, but he actually did one song in 64. I can share link to his channel/video where he did that, although the video is few hours long.

PreSonus needs to work on spreading the load on all cores and then fix that meter to, maybe, show the average or something like that. Many people get scared when they see that behavior and think that if they add few tracks it will start to dropout, but that's not the case, at least from what I've seen.

Just for the record: the performance of Studio One V3 64bit is so pathetic on my machine that it basically renders it unuseable for me - and that's especially true with lower latencies (my system always runs @128samples). That thing is a complete P.O.S. performance-wise.

I was very foolish when I gave them my money - since these problems have first been reported quite a while ago and there have been a few updates since it's obvious that they either lack the will or the competence (or both) to fix it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

You are right, it's been since v2.5 or so. Years have passed and they didn't fix it. If they won't until v4 more people will switch to something else.

I have been a long-time fan of Studio One, and bought into the Pro version straight out of the gate at version 1. But I have to agree that CPU utilization is pretty terrible in Studio One Pro 3. Plugins that are destroying the CPU meter in Studio One are perfectly tame in Logic X, and even respectable in Pro Tools 12. Studio One is at that point where they need to stop adding features, and tighten up the core coding so it runs more efficiently. So much potential. The CPU utilization issues in Studio One directly drove me to start using Logic in it's place, eventually returning to Pro Tools as my primary. But I never really open Studio One anymore. Though I MIGHT still use the Project/Mastering page. That's really a good tool.
Macs M1/M2 / Bitwig 4 / Studio One 6

Yeah. My copy of Studio One 3 is just collecting dust, because of the really poor performance and crashing issues. Wont upgrade anymore if they don´t address this in v3.
During the last year I have also told three audio newcomers who setup their first DAWs and asked for advice to stay away from Studio One. Cannot recommend it to anyone at this point.

jtrake wrote:
jancivil wrote:well, when I posted, 512. Now, 128, same performance, I'm not having any breakage.
Wow, same performance when using 512 or 128. What PC are you using cuz I want one of these?! :lol: :dog:
"Mid-2010" MacBook Pro. 2.66ghz, 2 core. 8GB RAM. SSD.
It's done stupidly well using heavy samples libs. With the demo of Studio One 3 Pro, I was admittedly using relatively little, although those were not very lite synths.
I would not expect anything of the sort.

There was a thread a while back about *real-time* good systems vs systems which spec out like they're tops but perform poorly. Which I wouldn't know how to address but this thing has surprised me.

While I don't own Studio One, I was giving it a hard look. Thanks to this place, I ain't looking anymore. I can't believe what I've read here. Logic, in comparison, purrs along amazingly.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Same experience here on PC, Windows 10.

Worst performing DAW I demoed. Unusable.

I ended up going with Bitwig when they had the black friday sale, but Cubase Pro 9.01 is still my main daw, and I think will be for a long time.

I was a huge fan of v2 and loved it for years. I immediately upgraded to 3 even though the features weren't so much for me to get excited about. I was just hoping for slightly better optimization. I can echo what others say, it was much, much worse than v2 and customer support was rude in general, so I sold it and switched to Logic. It's a shame as v2 showed so much promise and was really nice for me to work with. The hell with Presonus. I hope they go out of business.

I'm on PC and am not having an issues. Do you guys think that maybe they put out more stuff that they can handle? Looks like they are hiring more people for presonus software http://www.presonussoftware.com/en_US/i ... mpany-jobs

I don't want to see anybody lose their job, but hope to cpu issues get fixed for those that are having trouble.

But but but, I'm a TROLL for pointing all that out.

Awwww, so sad that I'm not a TROLL and it's a big issue for so many.

:roll:

incubus wrote:I'm a TROLL for pointing all that out - so sad that I'm not a TROLL - it's a big issue for so many.
They do say the best way to hide a lie is between two truths :hihi:

ecdysis wrote:Studio One: optimization, stability and performance
https://www.facebook.com/notes/18162649 ... 364230225/

Education, knowledge and skill are powerful things if you're willing to do the work.
Dig deeper, work harder and longer then anyone else.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”