Really Beginners Sound Design

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ATN69 wrote: Yes, and Youtube is actually a good Place, Believe it or not. There you can find any plugin and also see what tutorials there are at the same time. And you can also get a feel for the sound even Before you download any demo.
I've spent a fair amount of time sifting through Youtube tutorials, and for every good one there's a veritable mountain of shitty ones. Oh well. You get what you pay for I suppose.

I was interested in exploring the manuals as a learning device more than anything since so many mentions were made of them. I did find an "unofficial" 82 page manual for Synth1. I glanced through it and some of it looks promising:

https://sound.eti.pg.gda.pl/student/eim/doc/Synth1.pdf

Hi,
very inspiring are the synth tutorials by George Hall, because he re-creates famous sounds on a subtractive synth (waldorf sledge).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvNM5I ... s5Q/videos

Mok19's comment is truly remarkable, and applies to so many things - even well beyond the scope of this topic. Thanks Mok19.
MOK19 wrote:...Pick a sound, emulate it, figure out the specifics of that *one thing.* Ask for help on that one specific thing. Always have a goal to reach that is set in stone, not vague, so that you know whether you're succeeding or failing(both are good). Figure out why you succeeded or failed. Repeat.

The key is specificity. Especially if you're asking for help, or trying to figure out how to get 'that sound,' whatever it may be. The more general your question or goal it is, the less likely you'll find a real answer, one that sticks, one whose knowledge will actually help you in the future.

Additionally, if you feel like you've discovered something - learned a trick, managed to get 'that sound,' or really internalized why something is the way it is - write a post about it, and try to show others. This is a great way to make knowledge stick, and to iron all the vagaries and uncertainties floating around in your head. Writing out how to do something formalizes what you've learned in a way that's more easily referenced later. It also forces you to discover and fills in the gaps you didn't realize were there. Which is a big deal.

Sound design can range from creating your initial sound in a VST(PlugIn), printing it into an audio file, and then layering more to it. You want to have each layer to have it's own purpose, and meaning. Otherwise from my own experience too much of things that you don't really need would just mud up the sound. I believe a huge part of sound design consists sample sorting as well, making sure that your samples are the best you have proned to your ears (just like a DJ categorizing and making sure his or her tracks are the best they have to show).

I found this series of video called sound recipes posted by Beat Lab Academy. It's short and sweet, and gets to the point and shows you how certain sounds are made and how you would want to layer them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKQ6VNy ... wl71RjliIG

Hope this helps!

Return to “Sound Design”