In bitwig I have pops and clicks with a big project

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I 've posted on this thread before but after being on the beta and seeing this is completely unchanged I felt the urge to post here again.

Guys, this is a serious issue. Basically any kind of large production cannot take place with the terrible performance of the GUI which is just an after effect of the audio engine if you ask me. It is just not able to handle large workloads efficiently..

I get crack pops and insane GUI lag in everything that exceeds 40% usage, even in the bitwig 2.0 beta. I cannot understand how people can work on large productions with bitwig or rather I do, you might have 30 tracks and think this is a large production, it's not. Try scoring some orchestral parts. Try making a modern pop production with vocals in the same project..

There are times that I have over 20 tracks just for vocals (doubles etc). A typical A grade production is close to 100 tracks, suffice to say that track count means nothing without knowing of the plugins that come along with those tracks but I can assure you that I tried replacing my fabfilters with stock ones for example. Its not a plugin fault, even with the stock devices bitwig chokes the gui lags and all this with more than half of my cpu on idle lol.. Have never seen that before even in PT 10 which was the worse optimized daw in history..

Please people start contacting support via mail and report those issues, those are not bugs, the engine is jjust not efficient enough. Try pushing it over 40-50% with stock demo bitwig songs with just bitwig devices that are already available and you will see what I am talking about. Moving stuff around leaves ghost trails, GUI is not snappy at all and the random spikes get much more frequent..

I remember writing about this on the thread about the new upgrade solution proposed by Bitwig for the next release that factored into my decision for not upgrading:

Reproduced below:

For my upgrade fee, I am not sure whether the new version is significantly better than what I had with v1 which was difficult to work with after a track count greater than 15-20 tracks. It was useless bouncing down to audio because (well fades were missing) so pretty much all my projects have been in midi with additional processing. I noticed many clicks and pops in the audio. Sometimes the engine crashed and wouldn't switch back on until I restarted bitwig. I've decided eventually to use it as a sketchpad and I think am happy to keep it that way with what I have already with v1. So sorry to say this to the Bitwig team, but I won't be upgrading.

I had these issues with Abelton Live (have not tested with BW yet - will soon) - but I did followed everything in this video to a spot, and all issues were gone. Worth a try perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbfVFqkKOA

xerxes[no] wrote:I had these issues with Abelton Live (have not tested with BW yet - will soon) - but I did followed everything in this video to a spot, and all issues were gone. Worth a try perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnbfVFqkKOA

What you posted here is simply shit !!!

I have also have problems with big project in this Bitwig 1.x and already reported this 2 times to the support with example projects and exact descriptions. And even Dom answered two times to my reports and wrote that they will have a lok at it, but nothing happened up to now.
And this problems with GUI lags, GUI freezings, CPU spikes and crackles and pops in the audio engine have absolutely nothing to with audio on Windows or Mac because I have even bigger projects with Reaper, Sonar and Mixcraft and there are no crackles, GUI lags and GUI freezing and so on.
In this state Bitwig is a toy and scratchpad but not useable with big projects.
So I don't use it anymore and will for shure not upgrade until this is not solved.

They have to rewrite the audio engine and/ or performance structure. This is for shure a lot of work but there is no way around it.
And the more feature are added to new versions the more worse the performance gets until this problems are not solved.
Please Dom and Devs don' t hold users and customers for idiots, they are not.

Solve this, even if it takes some months or you will lose a lot of users and customers like me.

MorpherX wrote:
What you posted here is simply shit !!!
Calm down, dude. Just trying to help. And as I said - I have not tried with BW myself. Do anyone at all manage to run large projects without cracks/pops?

I have no problems with 20-30 instruments, and I don't need more.

Netsu wrote:I have no problems with 20-30 instruments, and I don't need more.
This problems not on every machine. They are very specific. For example dudes have the same CPU spikes problem as me (i'm on old mac) with very powerful computers (32 Ram, 6 cores by 3.6 Gygabytes). But what is main here - same project in Reaper on my machine with 5-6 instances of Reaktor works like charm and i have CPU headroom.

Hope they will find soludion for this situation very soon! :pray:

Andrey Marchenko wrote:
Netsu wrote:I have no problems with 20-30 instruments, and I don't need more.
This problems not on every machine. They are very specific. For example dudes have the same CPU spikes problem as me (i'm on old mac) with very powerful computers (32 Ram, 6 cores by 3.6 Gygabytes). But what is main here - same project in Reaper on my machine with 5-6 instances of Reaktor works like charm and i have CPU headroom.

Hope they will find soludion for this situation very soon! :pray:
You are wrong, I have the same problem in all of my 3 different PC's with different cpus and different audio interfaces. Its not a problem of the systems, I tried this on my macbook pro even, out of curiosity and it was the same thing..

Just try loading bitwigs demo song, double or triple the track count to relate this case study to a proper 80-track project and have fun with the inefficient mess that is bitwig..

But hooray for bug buttons and extra toys.

It's very good that i'm wrong, mate. More people with stories like this - more chances for this bugs to be fixed!

I have these issues on two intependend systems, one with mid strong cpu and one with very strong cpu. So dont tell us it just happens rarely. And as I can see it on the feedback im not the only one.

There is a issue which must be fixed, I have spent 160 euro (btw instead of the announced 120 euros you told patch 1.0 holders...) for the update because I hope these major issues get away.

crazyfiltertweaker wrote:I have these issues on two intependend systems, one with mid strong cpu and one with very strong cpu. So dont tell us it just happens rarely. And as I can see it on the feedback im not the only one.

There is a issue which must be fixed, I have spent 160 euro (btw instead of the announced 120 euros you told patch 1.0 holders...) for the update because I hope these major issues get away.
I am sorry to inform you but there is absolutely no way they will address such a fundamental performance issue in the 1 year cycle that you bought with your 2.0 upgrade. Not only is this hard work but it doesn't apply to hobby users with 20 track projects which are far more than the people in this thread so it is not a priority to the devs. They would rather throw another gadget to make random noises to the mass than make the daw industry ready.

Even if you see the demo projects they provide with bitwig most of them are what, 20-30 tracks long? The sessions I had with a couple of Anjuna artists had close to 100 tracks and that is not even orchestral. No gui crapouts in logic and ableton even with those numbers.. Sigh..

Maybe next year.. If we all spam the support with emails and create a common project with just bitwig devices as an acceptable benchmark for the devs to see what we are talking about, just maybe..

It is not only an issue of the number of tracks, it is also an issue of the number of effects and modulations/automations. but you shouldnt use it alot... but my projects arent thaat big, so it is no issue of just enormous tracks...

I've been having a bit of a problem here myself, also I recall that Reaper seemed to be able to run more stuff without problems. It seems to have a pretty smart pre-buffering scheme that does wonders. At one point I was mixing stuff on a IBM Thinkpad X60s from 2006, which I consider quite a feat. Bitwig can't even run a project with just a few tracks smoothly on that.

Also there's the question with glitches when a new clip starts playing sometimes. I haven't used 2.0 enough to say if these still exist.

My Linux installation seemed to be able to run version 1 at considerably lower latencies, so it's probably at least partly to do with the OS. If I could just get Native Instrument Stuff and a few other things to run reliably, I would migrate for good probably :/

Would someone mind to share such a big project, which causes the problems?
Would be great if a larger audience could test it and maybe spot a pattern there (e.g. specific processors).

E.g. I did the test someone suggest earlier in this thread to run the Demo project. On my dated system (i5-2550, 8GB, Windows 10) it runs smooth at 128 samples. Duplicating all tracks as suggest makes it choke quite heavily, but setting the buffer to 512 makes it run smooth again.

AS I said it is not just the problemn of the number of tracks, because if I have 50 tracks with audio, I have no problem with Bitwig, but if I have 4 tracks with some FXs with modulation&automation, with some buffer offset, it starts. It is no bouncing problem, it is just a big monitoring problem.

Return to “Bitwig”