109%-170% CPU in Ableton (Mac)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can it go higher than 100%?

Atza wrote:How can it go higher than 100%?
If you have more than 1 CPU.

kmatheussen wrote:
I would disagree with you even if the op hadn't stated that his Mac has only one CPU...

Googly Smythe wrote:
kmatheussen wrote:
I would disagree with you even if the op hadn't stated that his Mac has only one CPU...
I would disagree with you even if the op had stated that his mac only had one CPU.

Easily, if CPU needs more time to calcuate a buffer than this buffer's sample length.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:
Easily, if CPU needs more time to calcuate a buffer than this buffer's sample length.
Yeah, that's the correct answer given the context. "it" is often an effective word to create confusion.

kmatheussen wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:
kmatheussen wrote:
I would disagree with you even if the op had stated that his mac only had one CPU.
:D

Googly Smythe wrote:
kmatheussen wrote:
It says here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_A ... ifications that the Macbook Air mid-2012 had a dual core i7 (probably with additional virtual cores?).

Apart from that, i'd also like to know what 109-170% CPU is supposed to mean.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... k-Manager-

"...

The value on Live's CPU meter doesn't show Live's overall CPU usage, but Live's audio processing load.

Live calculates the time it needs to process one audio buffer. This value is then compared to the time it takes to actually play one audio buffer.

Example: 50% on the CPU meter means that Live's processing of one audio buffer is as twice as fast as it takes to play this buffer.

Values over 100% are possible - this means that the calculation takes more time then it takes to play one audio buffer.

With this calculation, Live expects that the audio thread always gets the highest priority and doesn't get interrupted. The final prioritization of threads is done by the operating system, which means that other threads might interrupt Live's processing. This is the reason why other applications might cause CPU spikes in Live's CPU meter.

..."

pottering wrote:https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... k-Manager-

"...

The value on Live's CPU meter doesn't show Live's overall CPU usage, but Live's audio processing load.

Live calculates the time it needs to process one audio buffer. This value is then compared to the time it takes to actually play one audio buffer.

Example: 50% on the CPU meter means that Live's processing of one audio buffer is as twice as fast as it takes to play this buffer.

Values over 100% are possible - this means that the calculation takes more time then it takes to play one audio buffer.

With this calculation, Live expects that the audio thread always gets the highest priority and doesn't get interrupted. The final prioritization of threads is done by the operating system, which means that other threads might interrupt Live's processing. This is the reason why other applications might cause CPU spikes in Live's CPU meter.

..."
A misuse of the language, methinks - like people "giving 110% effort"...

OK, let's face it: OP doesn't care about this thread anymore and you only argue for the sake of it :roll:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

More than 100% would tend to indicate it's calling on more than one core. Isn't it?

If it's a single core machine, disregard this message. :)

I hate to break everyone the bad news, but back in the day, on a dual-core imac, live did this every once in a while. Also, live does this on windows sometimes too.

Not even going to try and explain it, I don't think anyone cares anyways (looks like people just want to blow it off as a non-thing) but it's happened.

Now, what I want to know is if anyone brought cake to this party?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”