Vangelis CS-80 Bladerunner lead sound

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Interesting, thanks :-)

garryknight wrote:Next time I get some time to play around, I might have a go at recreating the Vox Humana patch.
Well, that didn't take long. I've made it bigger than the original sound but with plenty of controls to change it back, or somewhere else. Anyone who has Serum or is thinking of getting it can download this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/254 ... s%20GK.fxp

The truth is you can´t emulate this sound as close as the original....only on the CS80 itself...

Unfortunately I often listen to emulations of those sounds, that doesn´t come close....

I´ve made a personality bank with Vangelis` patches at my CS80V by myself and different variations...
They really sounds like the original to 99,5%.... - so:

Mr Papathanassiou used the Brass1/2 presets of his CS80 and works always with the Filterpedal.
Further with the polyphonic aftertouch and of course with a long Lexicon 480 hall -
and he "plays" the sound - it´s not a static patch......

Two Saw-waves - slightly detuned (even on different octaves) - longer attack/very short release time...
better working with a pedal or aftertouch on the filter (12 db Lowpass !!!)
.....take a slower Lfo-rate to the Modwheel and not to forget - a very large reverb -
this gives a shimmering taste to the sound.....
That´s all

The thing with that lead is that I wouldn't really know what to do with it musically. And if I did use it as a lead, everyone would recognize it and point their fingers at me :roll:

Agreed. But it's still fun to try and recreate it in different synths.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The thing with that lead is that I wouldn't really know what to do with it musically. And if I did use it as a lead, everyone would recognize it and point their fingers at me :roll:
Yah, that´s true - it´s like a trademark, a patent....a sound with a high memorability
like the most sounds, Vangelis made with his CS80....
But he always used the presets, mixed and "played" them in his own style
full of expressiveness and emotion

So playing THIS synth, it´s difficult, not to sound like Mr V.
And his influence to many musicians is great - and for some not....
For some of his soundtracks/works he is adorable (for the most people (musicians)
- and for some not....

Therefore it´s a double-edged sword to use some "of his sounds"....

All of us, who always tries to emulate or want to sound like him....why???
We can´t do better - he was first - the original....
But we (in this thread) love those sounds and wants to play with them
(mostly like the original)....

My take on this -
In my own works/projects I often use sounds of my "vangelisque" bank
He was there first - explored the land and the scenes - and I came later
stayed even longer there - looking behind all doors, places and do it a little bit more extensive
- in my own style, but with the original in my mind (that sometimes reminds of him)

fluffy_little_something wrote:The thing with that lead is that I wouldn't really know what to do with it musically. And if I did use it as a lead, everyone would recognize it and point their fingers at me :roll:
My feelings are that if it's a good sound, and you like it, then you should use it. Personally, I was quite happy to hear large swathes of the original sampled in Dillinja's Silver Blade, I think he added enough additional elements that worked well with the main sample that it's a good tribute to the original source and a good tune in its own right, though you may naturally disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UA0VG-wms

Everyone? If you have so many listeners what you are doing here? 8)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Sound Design”