Looking for advice and best practices for guitar pedal board

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

After a few years of mostly studio recording I'm looking to get back on the road and starting to piece together my pedal board. I am looking for any switching advice or best practices you might recommend.

I am going into a vox ac15c2 which does not have a FX loop.

My chain is looking something like this at the moment:
Comp --> Boost --> ODs and Distortions --> Noise Gate --> Volume Pedal --> Tuner (connected to volume out) --> Modulation --> Delay --> Verb

Pedals in the chain currently are -
Styrmon Time line
Styrmon Mobious
Styrmon Big Sky
Boss rv6
Boss dd7

Xotic Comp
Xotic Boost

JHS the kilt
Friedman Be-od 
Boss metal zone

Boss Tu3 
Boos ns2
Ernie Ball Volume pedal

So here are some questions -
What's the best way to control the expression outputs? The Styrmons can be controlled via midi so potentially something like the source audio reflex would work? Total I have 5 pedals to hook to expressions.

Alternatively I could go with,
2 x Mission Engineering Inc MEXP-MINI Expressionator Multi-Expression Controller then send that to 2 additional expression pedals.

Just looking for some input here. What method would you or do you use and why?

For pedal switching what switching systems are being utilized these days that make the most sense with this type of setup?

I'm essentially trying to optimize my right to minimize tap dancing. Especially because I play mostly seated and have some issues with my left leg so all my switching is done with my right footo these days.

I am also looking for a channel switcher for my vox. Is there a pedal I can plug into both the normal and top Boost channels of my amp and then a/b the channels with the pedal?

Thanks guys any and all feedback is welcome,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”