Analog Polysynth vs More Euro Gear

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All, its that time of the year again, in the next 2 months i wanna make
another big purchase...an Analog PolySynth or another Case of Modules,
roughy around 4000$. I own a 9U 84HP Modular, a Virus TI2 and an Elektron
AK plus a lot of VST Synths...its not really about what i need (maybe i do not
need any of that), i just want nor what i am trying to do...i do a lot of electronic stuff.
I have other budget for other things like Computer upgrades and stuff and i
have really good Audio Interfaces and wall treatments and stuff so i do not
need to save budget for that. 4k Strictly for more Sound/Voices.
An Analog Polysynth (ala OB6 or PRO6 might be more of an instant gratification
and results while more Euro will be more fun. If Euro then the questions is more
complicated as to what and bla bla but if an Analog Poly then what?
Anyone any comments, suggestions?

Just a reminder, when i say Analog i am talking strictly about VCOs. No DM12.

If i go for more Euro then i will add a MatrixBrute to it.

This is my EuroRack as it is now:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/313690

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

If you are going for big stuff: OB6, P6, Studio electronics Omega, or maybe a Modal 002 (yeah digital oscilators but for different waveforms) or maybe even a Modal 008.

I don't know if Ihad to expend 4,000... I would loust for a Modal 008

Maybe a Matrixbrute which can be integrated to some extent to modular.
dedication to flying

I'd go for the Matrix Brute. It looks like an amazing controller... It looks like a pretty solid euro setup you already have. I've avoided getting into it but I wonder what is the point of diminishing returns?.. where you have enough that adding more doesn't add much.

You should definitely play the analog poly you are considering. I've demo'ed the OB6 and P6 and they just don't do it for me. They are excellent sounding, but I like to push the sound into unusual territory and they are just too standard simple in their architecture.

As for adding extra voices and assuming you like the AK you have, I suggest the RYTM to consider. It adds 8 voices, and with the combo of analog + samples is very diverse sonically, and sounds great and could not be duplicated ITB.

BasariStudios wrote:An Analog Polysynth (ala OB6 or PRO6 might be more of an instant gratification
and results while more Euro will be more fun.
Well, if your needs are met already, I guess that's what it comes down to. Instant gratification or more fun?

Personally, I'm not comfortable throwing that much money around, especially for instant gratification. I'd slowly expand the Euro stuff if there were modules I actually wanted, or else hold on for something I knew I wanted. And I have my limit set at 9U right now and at 3U I already feel like I don't need more voices, so I can't quite relate to the question. :)

I'd probably get a poly analog (keyboard or module) and use the remaining budget towards effects or more modules (maybe I'd wait a bit before buying them, because every new purchase changes the perception on priorities).

I recentely bought my first poly analog (a cheap Minilogue... only because I can't / don't want to spend that much on a synth right now) and I'm glad I did instead of buying another monosynth, as it gives me a lot of gratification; that's why I'd suggest getting a poly analog.

As for euro, by looking at your rack I'd probably suggest getting a step sequencer (I like playing with my Mother-32)... but I don't know much of the eurorack world, so I'm not the best to give ideas.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I'd get the DSI OB6 & Tempest.

Do you feel that you have got everything you can out of your modular? (obviously a loaded question) or do you feel that there is inherently that much that could or should be spent on it immediately. I have recently filled my 9u by 104hp modular case and I feel that will have me learning for many years to come with no glaring omissions from the modules I have (although if I was prone to gas there would be another 1000 must haves)

On the other hand, the poly synth may provide much more than just instant gratification. If it has that large sweet spot it may provide the inspiration for new songs and producing a completed product. Personally, I have found the modular a fun distraction in the studio but it is really not contributing to my song writing in the way that my hard wired and ITB synths do (which makes me wonder about such an expensive distraction toy, WTF??? :o )

sorry, I'm probably just rambling now and being no help...good luck and enjoy your purchase whichever way you go.

:tu:

Thank You Everyone for your help and suggestions. Yes i am a Keyboardist
but once i started with a Modular last year i went down the rabbit hole.
Every synth on the planet is now boring to me, its all about cable and modules
and that confuses me more. I have another month or so left for this purchase
so i can still do research, we can keep going in here too.

Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Build your modular up and use a midi device to make it a polysynth. Best of both worlds. I can't get excited about monosynths anymore myself and poly synths that aren't multitimbral. I love that analog and even hybrid sound, but I also love digital and virtual analog and boxes that are at least 4 part multitimbral and generous polyphony really got me.

I went with a modular. Then a full analog mono synth. Then three semi-modular Moog Mother 32's. Ordered the Roland System 500, then cancelled the system 500 and went with a Virus Ti2. Boy that was a mistake. Loved the Virus so much I then grabbed another Virus Ti on the cheap, a Quasimidi Polymorph which I loved having again after selling the first one back in early 2000's - so much that I just bought a used Spectralis 2. Now I have another 4 part multitimbral VA I have my eye on to complete the VA collection. I already had a Blofeld that I love the sound of but wished it had more knobs on it to tweak. I do have my eye on another modular, but it is a virtual patching modular. The Gotharman AnaMonoX. That one you can swap real analog filters in depending on how many different filter cards you get. Box will take two cards. There are 5 kinds now available I think.

Its madness.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

How about a Buchla music easel?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”