ILOK seems to be a rip off.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Glad this has been brought up again; it's provided lots of new perspectives, the obligatory car metaphor, and the promises of never buying iLok software.

All as helpful and insightful as my post here.

I am one of those fools who wishes I could put all my licenses on my iLok, which makes me of questionable character.

Okay, I found an extra iLok (I think it came with something I bought) that I've never used. How can I tell if it's an iLok 1 or 2? I know iLok 1 is no good anymore for the stuff I'm using (it specifically said iLok 2) so how can I tell if this is any good or not?

wagtunes wrote:Okay, I found an extra iLok (I think it came with something I bought) that I've never used. How can I tell if it's an iLok 1 or 2? I know iLok 1 is no good anymore for the stuff I'm using (it specifically said iLok 2) so how can I tell if this is any good or not?
maybe google and see if your one looks like the ilok 1 or 2.

dzilizzi wrote:If they are charging that much for a warranty returned one, that does suck. It should only be shipping.
Ugh. Having to pay anything at all in a warranty situation sounds screwy/unethical. Hmmmh. In a situation like that, it's actually illegal here inside EU to ask the customer to pay for shipping etc. Legally, there shouldn't be any cost inflicted upon the customer whatsoever. That's for stuff bought inside EU, from a country inside EU.

Note that I don't use Ilok, so I don't know whether European customers buy them straight from US or from a European dealership, though.
Last edited by Guenon on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suloo wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Okay, I found an extra iLok (I think it came with something I bought) that I've never used. How can I tell if it's an iLok 1 or 2? I know iLok 1 is no good anymore for the stuff I'm using (it specifically said iLok 2) so how can I tell if this is any good or not?
maybe google and see if your one looks like the ilok 1 or 2.
They actually look different?

Okay< I found a photo of each. They look nothing alike. The original looks horrible. Anyway, I have an iLok 2 laying here.

Next question.

Never used but how can I tell if it's still good? If I plug it into a USB port and its recognized does that mean it's good or is there something else I need to do to test it?

yes they do look different.

My GF destroyed mine once, but her insurance payed for it. In total it was 90€ sending it over to the US from Germany, recovering the licenses and buying a new one locally. Then i simply transferred them from my account.

wagtunes wrote: Never used but how can I tell if it's still good? If I plug it into a USB port and its recognized does that mean it's good or is there something else I need to do to test it?
install the software

Suloo wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Never used but how can I tell if it's still good? If I plug it into a USB port and its recognized does that mean it's good or is there something else I need to do to test it?
install the software
I already have iLok on my PC. How can I tell if THIS particular dongle is good?

start the license control center, if it gets recognized it should be just fine. Its not milk that gets bad after a while :D

Suloo wrote:start the license control center, if it gets recognized it should be just fine. Its not milk that gets bad after a while :D
So it should show up with zero licenses on it, correct?

yes sir, if there is nothing registered on it yet. Then just the device in the left area ready to be filled.

Edward? Is that you?

Suloo wrote:yes sir, if there is nothing registered on it yet. Then just the device in the left area ready to be filled.
Thanks. I'll go check it out.

ontol wrote:Glad this has been brought up again; it's provided lots of new perspectives, the obligatory car metaphor, and the promises of never buying iLok software.

All as helpful and insightful as my post here.

I am one of those fools who wishes I could put all my licenses on my iLok, which makes me of questionable character.
Yes, you really are quite an evil little b...d :hihi:

God BLESS ilok threads!

Return to “Instruments”