Call for more security in the Sell & Buy forum

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The way i see it, more and more people are getting ripped off here lately. E.g., there's an absolutely ridiculous deal on a Virus TI2 Darkstar here ATM, which just is too good to be true. How about doing it like Gearslutz, with a one-time fee of $20 for anyone who wants to deal in the Sell & Buy forums. That way, also the Paypal accounts of the respective members could be checked, and logged. Also the threshold for people who want to offer, or sell would be made higher, making it more difficult for newly registered users to offer here. What do you think?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:I'm against having to pay a fee. I don't want to pay $20 to be able to sell a $40 software. If someone wants security from that, he should trade at Gearslutz.
See it as a longterm investment. I think i sold stuff worth up to 300 € in the time i'm registered here. If a $20 fee helps to get buyers and sellers more serious, and prevents registered-since-yesterday users from ripping people off, or, at least, raise the threshold, then that is very helpful in my eyes.

And, yes, i agree that it is partly your fault, if you fall for a ripoff. Yet, these people surely not wanted to get ripped off, but expected the counterpart to be honest, and if everyone who's registered since yesterday can sell here, and make his 10th account, without a problem, then it should be considered to make things more safe. I think the Gearslutz idea is great.

chk071 wrote:The way i see it, more and more people are getting ripped off here lately. E.g., there's an absolutely ridiculous deal on a Virus TI2 Darkstar here ATM, which just is too good to be true. How about doing it like Gearslutz, with a one-time fee of $20 for anyone who wants to deal in the Sell & Buy forums. That way, also the Paypal accounts of the respective members could be checked, and logged. Also the threshold for people who want to offer, or sell would be made higher, making it more difficult for newly registered users to offer here. What do you think?
All I see is "Virus TI2" and "$20"

Confirmation bias FTW, and maybe the government can bail me out when I get screwed
:party:

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't see it as a punishment really. Rather a gesture that you are serious and honest about selling or buying. And also that you're playing with open cards, by "validating" your Paypal account towards the site owners. I can't imagine that the owners of this site want criminal behavior to be daily fare here. I must say though that, unfortunately, recently, it is. To be totally honest, i think that this place could use some more moderation in general, but, especially, in the Sell & Buy forum.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The sticky above the forum goes into great detail about how to buy and sell safely here. Maybe it could be made more prominent in some way. Perhaps make reading it a requirement for people who are trying to post in the Sell & Buy forum for the first time.

We all want a safe place to buy and sell but I feel the onus should be on the users to be responsible and take precautions.
Image Image Image Image

won't somebody think of the children ?

Terrible idea. Alzo-, doesn't GS also give people free access after X posts? That sounds better than charging, making a minimum post count.

But Yeah, terrible idea.

We need more regulation. It's the only sure-fire way to protect idiots incapable of wiping their own asses.

If you want overmoderation, go to GS.

Ive reported that Virus thread, too similar to another for my comfort. Zero-previous-posts and a ridiculously low selling price dont add up.

So I basically agree; to my mind, if we've got a 5-post minimum for being able to post links, we should have something similar on being able to sell stuff. Something that'll help let us spot obviously 'fake' accounts with no-content posts, like a fifty-post/1-year minimum.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: So I basically agree; to my mind, if we've got a 5-post minimum for being able to post links, we should have something similar on being able to sell stuff. Something that'll help let us spot obviously 'fake' accounts with no-content posts, like a fifty-post/1-year minimum.
+1

whyterabbyt wrote:Ive reported that Virus thread, too similar to another for my comfort. Zero-previous-posts and a ridiculously low selling price dont add up.

So I basically agree; to my mind, if we've got a 5-post minimum for being able to post links, we should have something similar on being able to sell stuff. Something that'll help let us spot obviously 'fake' accounts with no-content posts, like a fifty-post/1-year minimum.
Whilst "fifty-post/1-year" seems a bit extreme, I agree, we should implement some entry level requirement.

How about 10 posts plus 30 days as a member?

30 post + 30 days, would fit nicely :D

10 is a bit too low imo

Return to “Site Stuff”